Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I was one of the 54 000! The Raptors get low tv numbers, but seem to always be discussed on the radio. Argos get decent tv numbers, but hardly any radio time. Raptors have good attendance and command some steep prices for Miami games. Argos have low attendance and always affordable tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I was one of the 54 000! The Raptors get low tv numbers, but seem to always be discussed on the radio. Argos get decent tv numbers, but hardly any radio time. Raptors have good attendance and command some steep prices for Miami games. Argos have low attendance and always affordable tickets.
    Maybe it all comes back to the facility (Skydome) and lack of atmosphere at the live event, smaller more intimate venue lively atmosphere= better game experience....more repeat customers.
    Last edited by Argo57; 11-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Maybe it all comes back to the facility (Skydome) and lack of atmosphere at the live event, smaller more intimate venue lively atmosphere= better game experience....more repeat customers.
    Another factor is playing only American-based opponents vs. playing only Canadian-based opposition.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Raptors in Canada and on TV is a joke. The team has been force fed to the population from the very beginning to include buying tickets when MLSE has to blackmail its Leaf fan base to also buy for basketball. On radio again, the program directors for the various Toronto station have obviously been ordered to talk crap basketball when only friends and family care, this all at the expense to the Argos and CFL which remains the second most popular sport in the country and garnering absolutely no respect here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Another factor is playing only American-based opponents vs. playing only Canadian-based opposition.
    Bang-on Ravi - a huge factor - and one that is not understood by many, especially all the lemmings and wannabes in the Canadian media. The CFL - only in Canada, eh? - is just not major league or world class good enough to some - in their own country; to each his own though eh, er, huh ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Raptors in Canada and on TV is a joke. The team has been force fed to the population from the very beginning to include buying tickets when MLSE has to blackmail its Leaf fan base to also buy for basketball. On radio again, the program directors for the various Toronto station have obviously been ordered to talk crap basketball when only friends and family care, this all at the expense to the Argos and CFL which remains the second most popular sport in the country and garnering absolutely no respect here.
    It seems like the Raptors owners have created a business model that works despite lack of fans. I wonder what an owner like that could do for the Argos? What would your reply be if I said, the Argos are a joke, it's crap football and only friends and family care?

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    NBA television revenues are pooled so the Raptors have a safety net if their numbers tank. I've also read that the league is pretty gung-ho on Canada: a lot of immigrant communities are taken with the game and there's affinity for a variety of NBA teams across the country. Merch sales on the Raptors also seem quite strong, speaking anecdotally.

All of that said, 54,000 is a pretty awful number for a big league season opener. I'm not one to view other team's distress as necessarily to the Argos advantage. If their current junior teams are under-performing, MLSE is unlikely to take another under their wing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It seems like the Raptors owners have created a business model that works despite lack of fans. I wonder what an owner like that could do for the Argos? What would your reply be if I said, the Argos are a joke, it's crap football and only friends and family care?
    My response would be that the TV ratings show that you're wrong.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    NBA television revenues are pooled so the Raptors have a safety net if their numbers tank. I've also read that the league is pretty gung-ho on Canada: a lot of immigrant communities are taken with the game and there's affinity for a variety of NBA teams across the country. Merch sales on the Raptors also seem quite strong, speaking anecdotally.

All of that said, 54,000 is a pretty awful number for a big league season opener. I'm not one to view other team's distress as necessarily to the Argos advantage. If their current junior teams are under-performing, MLSE is unlikely to take another under their wing.
    I wonder what the TV ratings were for the TFC home opener?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Let me Google that for you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Thanks that was very helpful.

I was unable to find the ratings for this year's TFC home opener, that's why I asked.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    How do you figure the Raptors have good attendance number. They officially quote 16,000 and change for ther posted attendance aver. This is for a 19,000 and change building. Take away Leaf season ticket holders and there in trouble. I have been to Raptor games, were whole sections are empty, only to claim 16,500. Real number would be closer to 10,000. Media does not comment on the fake attandance numbers for Raptors or TFC game, due to them being owned by MLSE. No sports editor wants his/her reporter to get there access to the Leafs cut off.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I found this but it's from 2010:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-Thread/page2&

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ruggles-on-tv/

I'll keep searching to see if I can find anything current.

This article is about US MLS ratings for 2013:

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...d-other-league
    Last edited by Neely2005; 11-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    But I thought years ago some media criticized the Argos because they played teams from cities like Regina that weren't big league like cities in the U.S?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    But I thought years ago some media criticized the Argos because they played teams from cities like Regina that weren't big league like cities in the U.S?
    I guess that cities like Charlotte, Milwaukee and Orlando are more "big-league" or "world-class" than Regina and Hamilton are.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I've also read that the league is pretty gung-ho on Canada: a lot of immigrant communities are taken with the game and there's affinity for a variety of NBA teams across the country. Merch sales on the Raptors also seem quite strong, speaking anecdotally.
    I don't know where you are getting your info from but based on my observations in western Canada (BC - MB) is that there is little interest in the NBA and even less in the Raptors. I've been to sports stores in all Western Canadian cities and you would be hard pressed to find any NBA/Raptors gear there. On the sports stations the talk is overwhelmingly NHL, followed by CFL/NFL, MLB and then Jr Hockey before anything comes up about NBA/Raptors.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    I don't know where you are getting your info from but based on my observations in western Canada (BC - MB) is that there is little interest in the NBA and even less in the Raptors. I've been to sports stores in all Western Canadian cities and you would be hard pressed to find any NBA/Raptors gear there. On the sports stations the talk is overwhelmingly NHL, followed by CFL/NFL, MLB and then Jr Hockey before anything comes up about NBA/Raptors.
    That doesn't surprise me. The NBA has been in Canada since the mid-1990s and still has been unable to get much traction outside of Toronto. I think that the biggest obstacle that the NBA faces is that they go head-to-head with the NHL for their entire season which is a losing proposition in Canada IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    I think if the NBA had it's druthers, they would never have expanded into Canada in the first place. It's been a disaster from the start. The Grizzlies died and the Raptors would have followed if not for being saved by MLSE. Actually, MLSE was more interested in buying the then being built ACC and turning it into a hockey arena and the Raptors were just part of the deal (just like the cable channels you don't want, but they are part of the package). They are important for MLSE, but just as date fillers for the ACC.

I remember when the two Canadian franchises were awarded. CTV suddenly thought that Canadians would be all hot and horny for the NBA, so they did a national broadcast the NBA all-star game one Sunday night. I was working in aircraft servicing at 412 Squadron in Ottawa that night. Wasn't very busy and someone put the game in the TV. No one was interested. The TV ended up being tuned to Road to Avonlea and that drew greater interest then the game. I knew then that there was no way the NBA was going to work in this country.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I think if the NBA had it's druthers, they would never have expanded into Canada in the first place. It's been a disaster from the start. The Grizzlies died and the Raptors would have followed if not for being saved by MLSE. Actually, MLSE was more interested in buying the then being built ACC and turning it into a hockey arena and the Raptors were just part of the deal (just like the cable channels you don't want, but they are part of the package). They are important for MLSE, but just as date fillers for the ACC.

I remember when the two Canadian franchises were awarded. CTV suddenly thought that Canadians would be all hot and horny for the NBA, so they did a national broadcast the NBA all-star game one Sunday night. I was working in aircraft servicing at 412 Squadron in Ottawa that night. Wasn't very busy and someone put the game in the TV. No one was interested. The TV ended up being tuned to Road to Avonlea and that drew greater interest then the game. I knew then that there was no way the NBA was going to work in this country.
    Well when the Road to Avonlea is on at the same time what would you expect???

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Thanks that was very helpful.

I was unable to find the ratings for this year's TFC home opener, that's why I asked.
    I don't really see the relevance but according to this it was under 150,000.