Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The contract lasts six or seven more years so it's pointless to speculate on who might bid. TV as we know it may not exist then. TSN needs to improve its presentation now or ratings -- and the league's overall value -- will continue to decline IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Fact is, ratings have now dropped two years in a row. And there's no reason to expect that trend to abate next season. Considering it is costing Bell $40m per season, and blue jays ratings might continue to be high next year (considering they have all of their murderers row batting lineup returning), TSN might want to do something to make the product more watchable. Not doing so, and having ratings continue to slide, will damage both TSN and the league.
    Even with the lower ratings TSN is getting a steal when you do a value / ratings comparison to the rights fees for other sports properties.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The contract lasts six or seven more years so it's pointless to speculate on who might bid. TV as we know it may not exist then. TSN needs to improve its presentation now or ratings -- and the league's overall value -- will continue to decline IMO.
    blue jays ratings this year are a one off. And obviously affected cfl rationgs Based on how poorly they have drafted and all the prospects they have given up, they will be back to last place soon with 8000 rattling around dome and usual 300k on TV.

This time next year we will be talking about a increase in CFL ratings and how great it is (... in reality they are just returning to normal)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    This might ruffle a few feathers but the pathetic seasons of the Bombers and Riders has created a lot of apathy on the prairies and has been a contributing factor to poorer ratings. When you consider that, the Blue Jays and FIFA World Women's Cup...a 15% drop in viewership isn't all that bad

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    This might ruffle a few feathers but the pathetic seasons of the Bombers and Riders has created a lot of apathy on the prairies and has been a contributing factor to poorer ratings. When you consider that, the Blue Jays and FIFA World Women's Cup...a 15% drop in viewership isn't all that bad
    These are my feelings too. I was surprised to see in Zelkovich's column that the Bombers are considered the #2 ratings driver behind the Riders. I have always been under the impression that the top 3 ratings drivers are the Riders, Lions and Argos and only the Argos had a good year on the field this year. However, the Argos' presence in southern Ontario was almost non-existent which hurt their ratings.

I think that the Argos' move to BMO next year will not only help their attendance but will raise their overall profile which should boost the TV ratings of the team and league as a whole.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have always been under the impression that the top 3 ratings drivers are the Riders, Lions and Argos and only the Argos had a good year on the field this year. However, the Argos' presence in southern Ontario was almost non-existent which hurt their ratings.
    Those 3 are the ratings drivers of the CFL, I have no idea what Zelkovich is talking about. The Bombers are usually one of the lowest rated teams, Edmonton and Ottawa are the other two. Though in fairness to Ottawa it isn't a metered market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Those 3 are the ratings drivers of the CFL, I have no idea what Zelkovich is talking about. The Bombers are usually one of the lowest rated teams, Edmonton and Ottawa are the other two. Though in fairness to Ottawa it isn't a metered market.
    I'm not suggesting that the Bombers/Riders is the be all/end all but it is a factor.
    Last edited by Fumblitis; 11-13-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And the Pan Am games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Everyone is quick to defend the status quo. It's pan am games effect. It's bad year for Sask. it's still a great bargain for TSN. Everything will go back to normal next year. Blue jays won't get good ratings next season. Sorry but I don't buy it. This is two years in a row of ratings decline, and in case you hadn't noticed the CFL is now trailing the NFL as well as NHL and the blue jays. This is not a blip. It is a downward trend that if both the CFL and TSN are not worried about, has an excellent chance to get worse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Everyone is quick to defend the status quo. It's pan am games effect. It's bad year for Sask. it's still a great bargain for TSN. Everything will go back to normal next year. Blue jays won't get good ratings next season. Sorry but I don't buy it. This is two years in a row of ratings decline, and in case you hadn't noticed the CFL is now trailing the NFL as well as NHL and the blue jays. This is not a blip. It is a downward trend that if both the CFL and TSN are not worried about, has an excellent chance to get worse.
    I am not defending the status quo but I do think that there are some valid reasons why the ratings have declined this year at least. Having said this, I also agree that TSN needs to refresh their CFL coverage. Getting Rod Black off of play-by-play would be a good start but I don't see it happening unfortunately. I would also like to see more promotion of the CFL across Bell media. Maybe I am just watching the wrong stations at the wrong time but I see a lot more NFL promotion on CTV/TSN than I do CFL promotion. On CTV, I see almost no CFL promotion at all and when they talk football on that network, it is invariably the NFL that they discuss.

If the CFL is such an important property to Bell Media and TSN, they have to start treating it as such. I feel like they have gone backwards on their promotion of the league in recent years.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It also stands to reason that the league is looking pretty bush with all the penalties. I think it's a sham because a lot of NFL pundits are complaining about the sloppy play down there. But the perception is the CFL is bush because the refs are dictating the games with their flags. That's impacting ratings as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It also stands to reason that the league is looking pretty bush with all the penalties.
    Funny you should mention this. I can tell you that at the Argos home game against Hamilton on Sept 11, a season ticket holder that sits 1 row in front of me, actually was so pissed at the brutal game Bradbury and his crew had (ie roughing the shoe laces..er passer) that he actually got up and left before half time. The officials really seem confused as to what is and isn't an actual penalty right now.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I am not defending the status quo but I do think that there are some valid reasons why the ratings have declined this year at least. Having said this, I also agree that TSN needs to refresh their CFL coverage. Getting Rod Black off of play-by-play would be a good start but I don't see it happening unfortunately. I would also like to see more promotion of the CFL across Bell media. Maybe I am just watching the wrong stations at the wrong time but I see a lot more NFL promotion on CTV/TSN than I do CFL promotion. On CTV, I see almost no CFL promotion at all and when they talk football on that network, it is invariably the NFL that they discuss.

If the CFL is such an important property to Bell Media and TSN, they have to start treating it as such. I feel like they have gone backwards on their promotion of the league in recent years.
    Agreed! Aside from on TSN I see almost 0 promotion of the CFL by Bell.

Also the playoffs, Grey Cup and a game of the week should be on CTV.

I honestly think that because Bell pays so little for the CFL rights they treat it like an afterthought.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

I honestly think that because Bell pays so little for the CFL rights they treat it like an afterthought.
    But the NFL is on CTV Sunday's and if they bump the late game in place of the Grey Cup they're gonna lose one revenue stream when they can have the Grey Cup on TSN and the NFL on CTV and draw viewers on both.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Funny you should mention this. I can tell you that at the Argos home game against Hamilton on Sept 11, a season ticket holder that sits 1 row in front of me, actually was so pissed at the brutal game Bradbury and his crew had (ie roughing the shoe laces..er passer) that he actually got up and left before half time. The officials really seem confused as to what is and isn't an actual penalty right now.
    Yeah a lot of people are fed up out here too. Myself I'm fed up with all the illegal block penalties on punt returns. But how much of that is on the refs and how much of it is on the players talent or lack there of? A lot of penalties are holding, procedures and offsides which is nothing new. The Riders have olinemen that constantly get holding penalties which tells me that these lineman aren't talented enough to play at this level. So yes the refs are flag happy but the talent in this league is becoming weaker. I get tired of hearing about how the ratio needs to be changed because there aren't enough talented Canadians to play at the current ratio. We had a matador secondary all season and most of the culprits are Americans. Maybe that has to do with expanded NFL practice rosters, maybe not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    But the NFL is on CTV Sunday's and if they bump the late game in place of the Grey Cup they're gonna lose one revenue stream when they can have the Grey Cup on TSN and the NFL on CTV and draw viewers on both.
    It is a shame that the Grey Cup can't be moved to CTV while the NFL goes to TSN. I think that would be worth another half million viewers at least, especially with all of the promotion that CTV would do leading up to the big game. It is still the case that CTV reaches about 3 million people more than TSN does, if I am not mistaken.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It is a shame that the Grey Cup can't be moved to CTV while the NFL goes to TSN. I think that would be worth another half million viewers at least, especially with all of the promotion that CTV would do leading up to the big game. It is still the case that CTV reaches about 3 million people more than TSN does, if I am not mistaken.
    There might be some sort of a clause in the agreement with the CBS/Fox or the league itself that states that the NFL must always be shown on Bell's main network. I don't know for sure but it's a possibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm not suggesting that the Bombers/Riders is the be all/end all but it is a factor.
    Riders are a huge factor, Bombers not so much, even in 2011 when the Bombers got off to their hot start and made it to the Grey Cup, they were still one of the lower rated teams. With the exception of 2013 (Riders were #1), the BC Lions have been the top tv ratings team in the CFL. I have no idea about this year, as I haven't paid much attention to the ratings. However the CFL has some big problems right now and it all started in the 3rd week of September 2013., the NFL is gaining interest and the CFL is losing interest and I doubt it's a coincidence. Glen Johnson being named the director of officiating (or whatever his title is) is the worst thing the League has done in quite some time, penalties and lack of scoring (CFL looks like the old NFL and vice versa) is really hurting the CFL right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level

Bingo!

Precisely what I have been saying for years during the many TV contract signings.
    The playoffs and GC should have been shown on the main network.
    All of the league governors and or commissioners are responsible for not ensuring this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Precisely what I have been saying for years during the many TV contract signings.
    The playoffs and GC should have been shown on the main network.
    All of the league governors and or commissioners are responsible for not ensuring this.
    This is Bell Media's decision not the leagues. Although I'm sure the league could somehow negotiate this into the contract. But its very possible Bell Media said no. And this is the reason why, and I've stated this before. The CFL unlike the NFL is a Canadian only property. That is, there is no main network US coverage of the CFL. When the main US networks show an NFL game that Bellmedia also wants to show, Bellmedia has to show the same game on CTV over the air, so that they can simulcast the game and therefore show Canadian commercials on the American cable feed as well. If Bellmedia decided to show the same game on TSN, those rules don't apply, so there is no incentive for Bell to show main network games on TSN. However with the CFL, since there is no "competition" there is no incentive to show games on the main network, that being CTV. Have the games on TSN. Therefore you get a demand for TSN subscriptions, which probably outweigh the profits from potential advertising revenue from even thrice the amount of potential CTV viewers from advertising. Then with "lower viewers" Bellmedia can go back to the league and say we only had this many viewers, to keep costs down. So no doubt Bell wants to keep the CFL off CTV. They probably would love to keep the NFL off CTV too, but have no choice but to put games on there. If the NFL ever goes to cable only broadcasts, all games in Canada will be on TSN or Sportsnet, that's for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    This is Bell Media's decision not the leagues. Although I'm sure the league could somehow negotiate this into the contract. But its very possible Bell Media said no. And this is the reason why, and I've stated this before. The CFL unlike the NFL is a Canadian only property. That is, there is no main network US coverage of the CFL. When the main US networks show an NFL game that Bellmedia also wants to show, Bellmedia has to show the same game on CTV over the air, so that they can simulcast the game and therefore show Canadian commercials on the American cable feed as well. If Bellmedia decided to show the same game on TSN, those rules don't apply, so there is no incentive for Bell to show main network games on TSN. However with the CFL, since there is no "competition" there is no incentive to show games on the main network, that being CTV. Have the games on TSN. Therefore you get a demand for TSN subscriptions, which probably outweigh the profits from potential advertising revenue from even thrice the amount of potential CTV viewers from advertising. Then with "lower viewers" Bellmedia can go back to the league and say we only had this many viewers, to keep costs down. So no doubt Bell wants to keep the CFL off CTV. They probably would love to keep the NFL off CTV too, but have no choice but to put games on there. If the NFL ever goes to cable only broadcasts, all games in Canada will be on TSN or Sportsnet, that's for sure.
    The simulcast rules have changed, that will no longer be the case:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1801096/cr...e-of-local-tv/

Lol, I literally just saw a commercial for the semi final games on CTV2 at the end of Shark Tank. This is the first time that I've ever seen a CFL commercial on a station other than TSN. (Aside from when CBC used to have the CFL rights)