Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It used to be the same for the Canadian music industry too. 45 years ago, Canadians made fun of Canadian artists. But then the government mandated a certain percentage of Canadian music had to be played on Canadian airwaves. Over the years it helped the Canadian music industry get stronger to the point now where it is respected not just in Canada but worldwide.

Maybe the government should step in and require a that certain percentage of football broadcast over-the-air must be Canadian.
    Could never be enforced with the world wide web and the internet. Some could argue that people made fun of Canadian music after the CRTC was invented by the feds and mandated Canadian programming. It helped some good bands get airplay, but it could be argued that it got bad bands that were not worthy of airplay, more airplay. Let's not even talk about TV programs, that could be even worse when it's regulated by government.

Nothing has hurt the perception of the CFL over the years, than the perception that it was being protected or propped up by government legislation. Whether it was Marc Lalonde trying to keep the WFL from putting a team in Toronto headed by John Bassett in the 70's or Francis Fox under the Trudeau gov't in the 80's listening to complaints by Jake Gaudar about sports bars getting blacked out CFL games and televising them.

Wouldn't that be a nice problem that the CFL would have today, having sports bars wanting to show the games with interested patrons looking on.

I actually think the league will be on over-the-air TV because it is a decent product. Global has been more interested in Canadian Football through their western owners with Shaw Communications, both CFL and CIS since they no longer carry NFL games anymore. Regulating by government would not be good for the league as it would be a detriment to the bidding process for CFL broadcasting rights and would keep bids down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post

Nothing has hurt the perception of the CFL over the years, than the perception that it was being protected or propped up by government legislation. Whether it was Marc Lalonde trying to keep the WFL from putting a team in Toronto headed by John Bassett in the 70's or Francis Fox under the Trudeau gov't in the 80's listening to complaints by Jake Gaudar about sports bars getting blacked out CFL games and televising them.

Wouldn't that be a nice problem that the CFL would have today, having sports bars wanting to show the games with interested patrons looking on.
    I remember reading in the Globe and Mail in 1983 that this was a problem in Toronto at that time. Can you imagine that? Bars in Toronto pirating Argos games?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Nothing has hurt the perception of the CFL over the years, than the perception that it was being protected or propped up by government legislation.
    You must be joking. There are many more things that hurt the perception of the CFL other than that.

The irony of course is that every single NFL franchise has been propped up by state or local legislation, whether it's in the form of direct investment in stadiums or ongoing tax concessions, usually both.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You must be joking. There are many more things that hurt the perception of the CFL other than that.
    Agreed. I have never once, in nearly 40 years of following the league very closely, heard such a suggestion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    West final, Stampeders at Eskimos, Sunday, TSN: 1,300,000
    East final, Tiger-Cats at Redblacks, Sunday, TSN: 1,095,000
    RDS ratings weren't included, which should at least rise the East Final a bit.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...184200346.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    West final, Stampeders at Eskimos, Sunday, TSN: 1,300,000
    East final, Tiger-Cats at Redblacks, Sunday, TSN: 1,095,000
    RDS ratings weren't included, which should at least rise the East Final a bit.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...184200346.html
    Jim Lang was on Twitter Saturady saying that the CFL should have had their playoff games that day instead because there was no other competition. I pointed out to him that the CFL tried this in '08 and had poorer ratings than usual and that the CFL didn't usually have to worry about the competition on playoff Sundays. I hope that Mr. Lang sees these ratings.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Jim Lang was on Twitter Saturady saying that the CFL should have had their playoff games that day instead because there was no other competition. I pointed out to him that the CFL tried this in '08 and had poorer ratings than usual and that the CFL didn't usually have to worry about the competition on playoff Sundays. I hope that Mr. Lang sees these ratings.
    It appears to me that Lang's old "Give me the CFL or give me death" saying was all for show.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd love to have one playoff game on Friday night (starting at 830 ET) and one on Sat at 3p. Some risk of poor ratings on the Saturday but I bet the Friday game would have great ratings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'd love to have one playoff game on Friday night (starting at 830 ET) and one on Sat at 3p. Some risk of poor ratings on the Saturday but I bet the Friday game would have great ratings.

Sure the numbers have been down this year.
    But the RDS figures are not listed and apparently have averaged over 200,000.
    So combined it's not that bad, still winning the day.
    I see no reason for the league to change the day and definitely stay going head to head with the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am not crazy about the Saturday game but, for what it's worth, the one time that we had a Friday night playoff game previously did work out well at both the gate and with the TV ratings (Hamilton at Toronto in 2004). I also thought that TV ratings were strong in the few years that the league went to 3:30 pm EST and 7:00 pm EST Sunday starts from '03 to '05. I guess that there were concerns about the attendance in those years although some of the crowds included 60k and more than 50k in Montreal, 44k in Toronto, 40k in Edmonton and 55k in Vancouver.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I prefer the double header come playoff time. No need to change it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    An interesting article from the Ottawa Citizen which discusses the Grey Cup being on cable only: http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/foot...ialty-channels

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed. I have never once, in nearly 40 years of following the league very closely, heard such a suggestion.
    Hello, oh mighty one, it's an opinion, or a suggestion as you call it. Obviously you and Rich are cut from the same cloth and believe that government should be sticking their nose and taxpayers dollars into everything. If the league perception wasn't hurt by the protectionist attitude, then why did fans stop supporting the league in Toronto...they stopped because they were sick of hearing how the CFL should be supported just strictly because it is Canadian like some welfare case. If there is one thing about Orridge's state of the league address that was good, it was the part when he said we just can't tell people that it is their duty as Canadians to support the CFL.

The league must engage new fans to earn them, not feel entitled to have them because it's Canadian or gets propped up by government legislation.
    The city of Los Angeles did not buckle to the NFL at every whim, and football is still alive and well in the LA area despite having no NFL franchise for years. USC and UCLA get great crowds with USC being a perrenial power at the college level. They also get tons of media attention in SoCal. Apparently an NFL stadium is now being built in LA for either an expansion or a transfer, but I bet their is some private financing involved...I'm not sure, but there should be...California is a bankrupt state, and LA as a city is probably not that far behind...hmmm, sounds like Ontario although sadly I've recently heard Ontario has a higher debt than California.

PS- Has anyone ever suggested that the City of Los Angeles is not a world class city because 2 NFL franchises left the city...didn't think so. Think of that the next time someone pines that Toronto needs to fund the wealthy dreams of others using taxpayers money to make Toronto "world class."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hello, oh mighty one, it's an opinion, or a suggestion as you call it. Obviously you and Rich are cut from the same cloth and believe that government should be sticking their nose and taxpayers dollars into everything. If the league perception wasn't hurt by the protectionist attitude, then why did fans stop supporting the league in Toronto...they stopped because they were sick of hearing how the CFL should be supported just strictly because it is Canadian like some welfare case. If there is one thing about Orridge's state of the league address that was good, it was the part when he said we just can't tell people that it is their duty as Canadians to support the CFL.

The league must engage new fans to earn them, not feel entitled to have them because it's Canadian or gets propped up by government legislation.
    The city of Los Angeles did not buckle to the NFL at every whim, and football is still alive and well in the LA area despite having no NFL franchise for years. USC and UCLA get great crowds with USC being a perrenial power at the college level. They also get tons of media attention in SoCal. Apparently an NFL stadium is now being built in LA for either an expansion or a transfer, but I bet their is some private financing involved...I'm not sure, but there should be...California is a bankrupt state, and LA as a city is probably not that far behind...hmmm, sounds like Ontario although sadly I've recently heard Ontario has a higher debt than California.

PS- Has anyone ever suggested that the City of Los Angeles is not a world class city because 2 NFL franchises left the city...didn't think so. Think of that the next time someone pines that Toronto needs to fund the wealthy dreams of others using taxpayers money to make Toronto "world class."
    You must be kidding. The NFL is a textbook case in how to blackmail local and state governments into helping fund new stadiums. L.A. is the only case you can cite of a city saying no long-term, but even that looks like it's about to end with L.A. and/or California capitulating. And if it won't be free government money or tax breaks, then it'll be free government land.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    You must be kidding. The NFL is a textbook case in how to blackmail local and state governments into helping fund new stadiums. L.A. is the only case you can cite of a city saying no long-term, but even that looks like it's about to end with L.A. and/or California capitulating. And if it won't be free government money or tax breaks, then it'll be free government land.
    May you please point out where I've written or said that this is a good thing and that I agree with it. If you may be so kind as to also point out where I said the NFL never blackmails local municipal and state politicians with threats of leaving.

Read this carefully so you don't misrepresent my quotes...Just because the NFL does it, and they do it more than anybody(lobby for tax dollars to build them new stadiums even though they are private teams that make mega-profits on an annual basis), they wrote the book on it, it doesn't make it right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    May you please point out where I've written or said that this is a good thing and that I agree with it. If you may be so kind as to also point out where I said the NFL never blackmails local municipal and state politicians with threats of leaving.

Read this carefully so you don't misrepresent my quotes...Just because the NFL does it, and they do it more than anybody(lobby for tax dollars to build them new stadiums even though they are private teams that make mega-profits on an annual basis), they wrote the book on it, it doesn't make it right.
    Who really gives a crap what you think is right? The fact it's happening and will continue happening makes it a reality. For the CFL not to fight for any government money that may be up for grabs would be a stupid policy, and if nationalism or tradition has to be invoked, so be it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Hello, oh mighty one, it's an opinion, or a suggestion as you call it. Obviously you and Rich are cut from the same cloth and believe that government should be sticking their nose and taxpayers dollars into everything.
    It took an amazingly long time, but you just got the Rocket treatment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Who really gives a crap what you think is right? The fact it's happening and will continue happening makes it a reality. For the CFL not to fight for any government money that may be up for grabs would be a stupid policy, and if nationalism or tradition has to be invoked, so be it.
    Then don't expect the public to respond and expect to be open for criticism. Orridge stating that the league needs to attract fans by not just peddling the nationalism is the best thing he said in his state of the league address...he's exactly right on that one, as the onus should be on the league to sell their product and not sell it as a duty or chore to Canadians that they must follow the league or must be fans to prove that they're Canadian.

Your personal retort more than identifies your ignorance on the matter of public funds being used to fund wealthy people's toys or any of their business endeavors. I'm not in favor of government picking and choosing which businesses should succeed and which should be allowed to fail...that's the bailout mentality and it's why North America is in so much debt. Idiots like you may think it'll never end, but eventually the whole shithouse, being our economy will fall because of it. You may enjoy working and paying taxes to prop up the failed private businesses of others, but many do not, and they have a right to complain.

It's because of your stupid silly attitude that politicians can lie, and steal billions, but know that not only will they not be lawfully punished, they'll even be stupidly voted back in office...congratulations...the jokes on you, you buffoon.

I on the other hand, do give a shite about what you think, not because you're intelligent, but because you may not be intelligent enough imo to understand the long-term implications of govt handouts. Too many people think like you do already and that's the problem...then they are also the same ones that complain about those same politicians or governments that they voted for...always saying..."I never knew they'd go that far". Guys like you prove the adage, "you get the government you deserve."
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 12-02-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Then don't expect the public to respond and expect to be open for criticism. Orridge stating that the league needs to attract fans by not just peddling the nationalism is the best thing he said in his state of the league address...he's exactly right on that one, as the onus should be on the league to sell their product and not sell it as a duty or chore to Canadians that they must follow the league or must be fans to prove that they're Canadian.

Your personal retort more than identifies your ignorance on the matter of public funds being used to fund wealthy people's toys or any of their business endeavors. I'm not in favor of government picking and choosing which businesses should succeed and which should be allowed to fail...that's the bailout mentality and it's why North America is in so much debt. Idiots like you may think it'll never end, but eventually the whole shithouse, being our economy will fall because of it. You may enjoy working and paying taxes to prop up the failed private businesses of others, but many do not, and they have a right to complain.

It's because of your stupid silly attitude that politicians can lie, and steal billions, but know that not only will they not be lawfully punished, they'll even be stupidly voted back in office...congratulations...the jokes on you, you buffoon.

I on the other hand, do give a shite about what you think, not because you're intelligent, but because you may not be intelligent enough imo to understand the long-term implications of govt handouts. Too many people think like you do already and that's the problem...then they are also the same ones that complain about those same politicians or governments that they voted for...always saying..."I never knew they'd go that far". Guys like you prove the adage, "you get the government you deserve."
    Ask your doctor about Valium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This just proves the bullshit that comes from your posts...Ok, I'll be nicer today, the inaccuracies

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

100% privately funded. No taxpayer funds.
    Ask your doctor about Valium.
    No thanks, the truth serum works just fine, I just have to deal with the clowns who don't want to listen to it...bow down brother, bow down, or as Jack Nicholson says in a Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth."