Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is a case where percentage changes can be misleading. A 57% increase sounds impressive, yet it gets MLS to less than one-fifth of the CFL average. Mind you, they were one-10th of CFL last year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Week 7:

Thursday
    Calgary at Toronto: 444,000

Friday
    Winnipeg at Ottawa: 513,000

Hamilton at Edmonton: 658,000

Saturday
    Saskatchewan at B.C.: 533,000

"For the season, the CFL is averaging 506,000 viewers on TSN, down 14.5 per cent. With the Jays struggling, it will be interesting to see if the CFL will be able to*make up some ground in September and October."

Could be worse check out the TFC National TV Ratings:

"Meanwhile, a strong performance by Toronto FC has led to a spike in the team’s ratings, with games on TSN/CTV averaging 93,000 viewers this year in terms of total audience, compared to 59,000 over the same time period last season – a jump of over 57 per cent."

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/09/bl...ings-even-cfl/

Maybe what the CFL needs is a TV series about it like CBC's 21 Thunder about soccer that is airing this summer.
    On the serious side, with the increasing media profile that soccer is receiving on many fronts, it is not surprising that its viewership is increasing.

21 THUNDER is the story of the Montreal Thunder U21 team, following the team's star players on and off the field. A story of love, crime, race, sex and athletic glory.
    21 thunder

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Paulo Senra Retweeted

CFL Communications‏Verified account @CFL_PR 37m37 minutes ago

2.2M Canadians watched @sskroughriders vs @BCLions. With an avg audience of 750,000 it's the 2nd most-watched @CFLonTSN game this year. #CFL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Paulo Senra Retweeted

CFL Communications‏Verified account @CFL_PR 37m37 minutes ago

2.2M Canadians watched @sskroughriders vs @BCLions. With an avg audience of 750,000 it's the 2nd most-watched @CFLonTSN game this year. #CFL
    For those that believe the CFL shouldn't play on Sunday's.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    For those that believe the CFL shouldn't play on Sunday's.
    I think most of the people who believe that mean once the NFL is playing regular season games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think most of the people who believe that mean once the NFL is playing regular season games.
    I get that, but when the CFL thrived (late 70's early 80's), they used to play strictly on Saturdays and Sundays after Labour day. The reason there aren't a lot of Sunday games in the fall isn't because of bad ratings IMO, but more because CTV/TSN has the NFL rights in Canada and wants to maximise all of their football coverage. If they really feared bad ratings on Sundays, they wouldn't play playoffs on Sunday afternoons. The only thing they should avoid IMO, is going head to head with HNIC on Saturday nights.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Great to see the improved viewership. Hopefully, if the league keeps up its Diversity program that will expand both attendance and the TV audience further over time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Sask game Sunday night got the 2nd best ratings at an average 750k, which for me means the league should schedule more Sunday night prime time games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I get that, but when the CFL thrived (late 70's early 80's), they used to play strictly on Saturdays and Sundays after Labour day. The reason there aren't a lot of Sunday games in the fall isn't because of bad ratings IMO, but more because CTV/TSN has the NFL rights in Canada and wants to maximise all of their football coverage. If they really feared bad ratings on Sundays, they wouldn't play playoffs on Sunday afternoons. The only thing they should avoid IMO, is going head to head with HNIC on Saturday nights.
    it makes sense to have the cfl games scheduled around the nfl game times as much as possible and not have them compete for viewers. I am glad the rest of the argos home games this year are all Saturday games.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think that Sunday night games are great for TV but not so great if you're attending the game in the Stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think that Sunday night games are great for TV but not so great if you're attending the game in the Stadium.
    I don't disagree. But I really think the league would draw high viewership on Sunday afternoons as well. The issue IMO, as I previously mentioned, being Bell's TV rights deal with the NFL. They want the best of both worlds in terms of ratings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't disagree. But I really think the league would draw high viewership on Sunday afternoons as well. The issue IMO, as I previously mentioned, being Bell's TV rights deal with the NFL. They want the best of both worlds in terms of ratings.
    I believe that you are correct, AV. Remember when Bell/TSN first took over exclusive coverage to CFL games back in 2008? The first move they made was to switch playoff games to Saturdays (save for the Grey Cup). Ratings subsequently fell and playoff games were promptly moved back to Sundays the next year.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    this is what Chris Zelkovich said about Sunday games last year

Last weekend’s CFL division finals each topped the million mark but were seven per cent lower than last year’s finals. But the West final this year was basically over in the second quarter, which no doubt sent a lot of viewers scrambling for something more interesting to watch. In light of the previous week’s 14 per cent increase, though, the CFL and TSN will take that into Sunday’s Grey Cup game.

Besides, it can console itself with the realization that Sunday’s games drew almost double the audience that watched comparable NFL offerings. So much for the alleged wisdom that the CFL should never go head-to-head against its American counterpart.

Despite taking a thumping from the CFL and despite a double-digit drop in ratings south of the border, the NFL is doing fine in Canada. Bell Media reports that overall NFL ratings are up six per cent this season (similar to the CFL’s regular-season jump), with a 26 per cent increase among those aged 18 to 34.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Given that Bell Media has exclusive rights to both the CFL & NFL, by moving the game to Saturday's didn't they increase the viewership? Assuming that football fans that watch the CFL also watch the NFL. By moving to Sunday, wouldn't the head-to-head CFL/NFL cannibalize their own viewership? Isn't their ultimate goal to have as many total viewers for their properties?
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    this is what Chris Zelkovich said about Sunday games last year

Last weekend’s CFL division finals each topped the million mark but were seven per cent lower than last year’s finals. But the West final this year was basically over in the second quarter, which no doubt sent a lot of viewers scrambling for something more interesting to watch. In light of the previous week’s 14 per cent increase, though, the CFL and TSN will take that into Sunday’s Grey Cup game.

Besides, it can console itself with the realization that Sunday’s games drew almost double the audience that watched comparable NFL offerings. So much for the alleged wisdom that the CFL should never go head-to-head against its American counterpart.

Despite taking a thumping from the CFL and despite a double-digit drop in ratings south of the border, the NFL is doing fine in Canada. Bell Media reports that overall NFL ratings are up six per cent this season (similar to the CFL’s regular-season jump), with a 26 per cent increase among those aged 18 to 34.
    Exactly my point. Bell is basically just protecting their NFL investment by not having Sunday afternoons on the schedule. It's probably even more so now that Rogers has all the national NHL rights. They need good numbers from both the CFL and NFL, and in their minds that can't happen if they are on at the same time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If the CFL wants to hold onto its fanbase they should schedule more games on Sunday afternoon, providing an alternative for football fans who don't follow the NFL. One CFL game on Sunday afternoon usually draws higher ratings than all the NFL games combined in that timeslot (CTV1 + CTV2 + TSN2) although NFL ratings have increased in recent years and have exceeded some CFL Sunday games. Bell has been aggressively marketing CTV NFL Sunday games to Canadian football fans during the popular CFL broadcasts (but in contrast Sunday CFL games seem to be rarely promoted during CFL games or anywhere else?)

I understand Bell would prefer the CFL not to schedule games on Sunday, thus maximizing their NFL audience...but this isn't necessarily good for the CFL.

If the CFL doesn't compete with the NFL on Sunday, football fans will have to no choice but to watch the NFL. The risk is they might like it and not bother watching the CFL. Normally you want to meet your competitors head-on, not retreat and give them prime visibility. But it may be too late for the CFL with the NFL catching steam in Canada and the CFL perceived as second best in many markets.

Clearly football fans want to watch CFL on Sunday but mainly the one's complaining want to watch the NFL too (this list includes every sports writer and editor). So they suggest the CFL should take a hike on Sunday so they can revel in the NFL glory without guilt or impediments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still believe that the exclusive TV deal with TSN maybe hurting the league. I have no beefs with TSN and enjoy watching but I know people that do not have TSN in there TV package and therefore struggle to follow the league. As well spreading out the coverage to other networks would help with media bias. Don't get me wrong I like the TSN broadcasts but this deal could be hurting growth.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    I still believe that the exclusive TV deal with TSN maybe hurting the league. I have no beefs with TSN and enjoy watching but I know people that do not have TSN in there TV package and therefore struggle to follow the league. As well spreading out the coverage to other networks would help with media bias. Don't get me wrong I like the TSN broadcasts but this deal could be hurting growth.
    That has always been the concern I have had with this exclusive deal. Trying to divvy it up would cost the league money though.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That has always been the concern I have had with this exclusive deal. Trying to divvy it up would cost the league money though.
    Agreed but that could be a short term issue. I am no expert in the area but maybe this could lead to more revenue for the league down the road. Although I hate Rogers for what they have done to the Argos I sure wish the league could get them on board.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Although I hate Rogers for what they have done to the Argos I sure wish the league could get them on board.
    The feeling is mutual.