hurray for 5th overall pick!!!
    draft lottery on tuesday

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well it's fifth worst in the league and most likely where they'll end up in the draft. I'm not sure I even trust Burke to not screw it up. We'll see yet another rebuild next year...blah..blah..blah.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    While goalies are rarely drafted in the first round, Malcolm Subban is projected to be a first round pick. The Leafs need goaltending help badly and while he wouldn't be ready for a couple of years, I still say that the Leafs should draft him and perhaps by the time that they can contend for anything, Subban will be ready to contribute at the NHL level.
    The problem is the Leafs need help anywhere--defense, centre, top-six winger, you name it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    its impossible to give you proof because obviously nobody would ever admit to it
    but do you honestly think the oilers were doing the best they could to hire players to win games the last 3 years? think they were sad about being in last place?
    Yes, I believe their players tried their best because players act like players, not like fans. They play to win. I bet they were pissed instead of sad because they hate being embarrassed, and the better the team does, the more likely they are to find future employment either with the Oilers or with another team. And if a bunch of players actually conspired to lose, you'd hear about it eventually because that many people can't keep quiet forever (see the New Orleans Saints)

It isn't some giant plot why the Oilers have been a bad team. Every team is in a different stage of development, and every team has differing levels of management expertise, team chemistry, injuries, luck, etc. Some teams figure it out better than others. Otherwise you'd see every team finish around .500.

And after two #1 picks plus some highly rated prospects from before that, the Oilers zoomed all the way from 30th to 29th. Now maybe they'll become a playoff team in the next few years, but maybe they won't. High draft picks mean nothing unless you can develop a full team, and properly manage the cap.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    It's such a house of cards putting a team together. Will they continue to grow together and stay strong for years such as the Red Wings or be one year wonders like many teams. I just hope that Vancouver craps it and then starts to fade while The Leafs finally start to head in the right direction. I still hold out hope that TO will be the next Canadian team to hoist the cup.

They do need plenty of help and a new goalie coach in my books.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Yes, I believe their players tried their best because players act like players, not like fans. They play to win. I bet they were pissed instead of sad because they hate being embarrassed, and the better the team does, the more likely they are to find future employment either with the Oilers or with another team. And if a bunch of players actually conspired to lose, you'd hear about it eventually because that many people can't keep quiet forever (see the New Orleans Saints)

It isn't some giant plot why the Oilers have been a bad team. Every team is in a different stage of development, and every team has differing levels of management expertise, team chemistry, injuries, luck, etc. Some teams figure it out better than others. Otherwise you'd see every team finish around .500.

And after two #1 picks plus some highly rated prospects from before that, the Oilers zoomed all the way from 30th to 29th. Now maybe they'll become a playoff team in the next few years, but maybe they won't. High draft picks mean nothing unless you can develop a full team, and properly manage the cap.
    most fans believe this was the last year of their tank

I am willing to bet this year their management pushes hard to sign free agents and next year they finish 20th at worst

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I am willing to bet this year their management pushes hard to sign free agents and next year they finish 20th at worst
    Wow, 20th at worst. I'm sure the Oilers will be happy to spend tens of millions on free agents to aim that high.