Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I had a girl on my football team, had no issues whatsoever. Schools also have girls flag football. FYI Field Hockey is a female only sport in HS when in reality everyone plays it around the world.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I had a girl on my football team, had no issues whatsoever. Schools also have girls flag football. FYI Field Hockey is a female only sport in HS when in reality everyone plays it around the world.
    My point exactly, you had a girl on your football team because there was no girls team...that is not what Im talking about. I am talking about schools who decide to use gender equality as a means of eliminating a sport which is traditionally dominated by male participation. It is why many schools do not have football or even hockey teams, even though there may be enough interest to have a boys team.

Field hockey is played at the public school level, but it is a really popular sport at the private school level and quite vicious from what I have heard...Iève had girls tell me that girls have lost teeth playing field hockey, yet you never hear of girls field hockey being banned or cancelled because it is too violent, the way...thatès my point.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 11-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well my old highschool, Cawthra Park in Mississauga became a school of the arts or something like that years ago so I'm pretty sure the Panthers football teams were ditched back then. Back in the late 70's and early 80's it was always Lorne Park, Gordon Graydon, Port Credit and Erindale having pretty solid football. Guys like Matt Finlay played at Lorne Park and Duane Ford played at Credit as he's a few years younger than me.

Hey ArgoRedneck now that we're living in the area I wondered about watching some football. Where would you suggest we go to watch local highschool or minor football next year. Just found out that Peterborough has a great rugby tradition with The Pagens. We googled that the other day as we drive past their field off Parkhill every day as I drive my wife to work. It'll take me a while to learn all the cool shite about The Patch as you call it. Love this area by the way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think one reason people sort of overlooked, but brushed on it when it with mention of concussions, etc. Liability. That's the word that will make any school administrator soil his or her britches. Even a carefully crafted waiver form is not a guaranteed release from liability. Its not the only reason, but it is a reason.

I'm surprised that OV mentions there were only 4 teams still operating in North York in '87. But when I think about looking at the high school standings in the Star way back then, something makes me remember that that was true. I started high school in Scarborough in '87 and remember there being probably 10 teams operating at the time. North York had more people, and I assume more schools, and given some of the areas probably more money. Either North York mismanaged funds, or saw the writing on the wall. It wasn't much later after I left my school, that our team disbanded, and so did many others in Scarborough. At least my former school has a team again after many years, with many thanks to the Argos.

Achievements:
    Level
    Just remembered, the Star used to cover HS football, had top 10 rankings and features on the top prospects in the GTA usually outlining where they have committed or have offers from. There was a special on Stamps pick Brent Urban, who I played against and then after that it all just disappeared.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Just remembered, the Star used to cover HS football, had top 10 rankings and features on the top prospects in the GTA usually outlining where they have committed or have offers from. There was a special on Stamps pick Brent Urban, who I played against and then after that it all just disappeared.
    And now today, on Grey Cup Sunday, the big story in the Star is Bon Jovi teaming up with Tim Leiweke to civilize Canada by bringing the Bills to Toronto for good. The Star's coverage of Canadian football at all levels has changed dramatically over the years and unfortunately for the worse.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-24-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    And now today, on Grey Cup Sunday, the big story in the Star is Bon Jovi teaming up with Tim Leiweke to civilize Canada by bringing the Bills to Toronto for good. The Star's coverage of Canadian football at all levels has changed dramatically over the years and unfortunately for the worse.
    Bring Rick Matsumoto out of retirement! I was just a youth the last time I read the Star regularly, but he was or seemed to be a great CFL writer. No Jim Hunt though. Damn I miss that guy. I listened to the Fan 590 back in the day, just because of him.

*Edit* of course this was back in the day, when radio stations, most tv stations, sports teams, newspapers, etc were INDEPENDENT. Now days Jim Hunt wouldn't be welcome on ROGERS 590. Back then the Fan or even any sort of Rogers production would talk straight about any sport. Of course there was always some sort of slight towards the CFL at times, but it wasn't political in nature, it was based on the opinion of the sportscaster presenting it, informed or ill informed. Everything is different now a days. This complete merger of media, where 2 or 3 companies own the cable media, the TV stations, the radio networks and print media, is just sick. There's no real opinion out there any more. Its all just corporate mantra, and us as the end user are the victims. Of course the CRTC has sat on their thumbs, because they are partially comprised, and funded by these 2-3 big corporations. Nearly fascism if you ask me.
    Last edited by argos1873; 11-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Maybe no contact hockey is safer than tackle football but full contact hockey is no better and actually could be worse. Of course it'll vary from case to case.
    I'd have to disagree. Football has multiple incidents of contact every single play. You can go an entire hockey game without getting hit.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'd have to disagree. Football has multiple incidents of contact every single play. You can go an entire hockey game without getting hit.
    When can you get smoked with your head down in football? Skates are also much faster than feet. There are no boards in football. Blades on skates is another danger. Fighting with your helmet off and falling on ice. I don't know the only real danger in football is a helmet to helmet hit.