Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Rogers new deal with NHL

TSN in trouble?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Obviously there will be many developments and announcements spinning out of this so it's premature to draw any set-in-stone conclusions, but I would think Bell is extremely unlikely to allow TSN -- one of its biggest cash cows -- to become a lot weaker as a result. They will want to stay as the top-rated sports network in spite of this. I expect TSN/CTV will go after the complete NFL package whenever it becomes available next, and will try to lock up every Cdn NHL team's regional rights. The CFL now becomes TSN/Bell's biggest and most important property, one that I imagine they will promote relentlessly. Maybe this will be the impetus to upgrade the quality of their broadcasts, which are at times excellent but too often dragged down by weak announcers, poor camera work, uninspired direction and so on.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    This is a huge blow. It will hurt TSN's subscriber base, their advertising reach, everything. Sportsnet will suck all the air out of the room; even the CBC will be kind of a junior partner from the sounds of things. Having multiple networks carry hockey could be annoying but I like the idea that a sports property that size wasn't the sole domain of any one company.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    A poster on Riderfans.com in the know said his contact said this was happening and informed him over 10 days ago.

Also said that there is no way Rogers makes any money off this deal. It could be another white elephant for Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It sounds like Wednesday nights will see national coverage on Sportsnet but that Saturday nights will still be CBC's and Sunday nights will be CityTV's. If that is indeed the case, I don't think that Sportsnet will catch TSN anytime soon as they continue to be a long way behind.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Nope, Leafs games will move from CBC to Sportsnet on Saturday nights, which is absolutely atrocious.
    Last edited by Will; 11-26-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I expect TSN/CTV will go after the complete NFL package whenever it becomes available next, and will try to lock up every Cdn NHL team's regional rights.
    Unless I am wrong, from the way I understood the press release, there will be no separate regional rights for the Canadian teams. Rogers will own the entire thing.

TORONTO - The National Hockey League has reached a 12-year, $5.2 billion agreement with Rogers Communications for the league's broadcast and multimedia rights.

As part of the deal, Rogers says the CBC will continue to broadcast its iconic Hockey Night in Canada broadcast and that the TVA network in Quebec has all of the Canadian French-language multimedia rights.

The league says the deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages.

In addition, the NHL says the agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts.
    The NHL says the partnership, which is subject to approval by the NHL Board of Governors, will begin with the 2014-15 season and run through the 2025-26 season.

The Board of Governors will next meet Dec. 9-10 in Pebble Beach, Calif.

The league said in a statement that the agreement is the largest media rights deal in its history and one of the largest media rights deals ever in Canada, including the largest-ever sports-media rights agreement.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is a sample Saturday night schedule:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    And what does this do to the Bell(TSN)/Rogers owning MLSE dynamic?? In the end we know it was all about owning and sharing the content (more specifically, the Leafs)

TSN can't be happy with this outcome. Especially this badly.

In all honesty this may be the thing that pushes Canadian's all together against Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rogers overpaid bigtime. That is a mindblowing amount. And they still think they will be able to afford an NFL team and stadium on top of this.
    Last edited by LLB997; 11-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    In all honesty this may be the thing that pushes Canadian's all together against Rogers.
    What could Canadians do to damage Rogers? Stop watching hockey in protest? It will never happen. Those who love hockey will continue to watch it, regardless of what channels it's on. This is just a business deal, and is not something that Canadians as a whole will rise up to fight. Heck, the majority of Canadians probably don't follow sports closely or at all, and I'm sure the vast majority of Canadians don't know or care what companies hold broadcast rights to sports leagues.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    What could Canadians do to damage Rogers? Stop watching hockey in protest? It will never happen. Those who love hockey will continue to watch it, regardless of what channels it's on. This is just a business deal, and is not something that Canadians as a whole will rise up to fight. Heck, the majority of Canadians probably don't follow sports closely or at all, and I'm sure the vast majority of Canadians don't know or care what companies hold broadcast rights to sports leagues.
    If Rogers takes it away from public broadcasting (Stanley Cup & Saturday nights) lots. There is already alot of backlash over this deal

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If Rogers takes it away from public broadcasting (Stanley Cup & Saturday nights) lots. There is already alot of backlash over this deal
    Again, what are Canadians going to do? March on Parliament Hill? Is there something specific you think can be done to stop it? Money talks, and no amount of public protest will cause the NHL and Rogers to agree to back out of a $6-B deal. And I really doubt the public will notice anyway. Rogers (like TSN) is available to most Cdns as it is, and Rogers is also talking about putting games on its over-the-air properties such as Citytv.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Again, what are Canadians going to do? March on Parliament Hill? Is there something specific you think can be done to stop it? Money talks, and no amount of public protest will cause the NHL and Rogers to agree to back out of a $6-B deal. And I really doubt the public will notice anyway. Rogers (like TSN) is available to most Cdns as it is, and Rogers is also talking about putting games on its over-the-air properties such as Citytv.
    Stop actually watching hockey? How many Canadians are going to sign up for all these extra packages to watch NHL?
    Sure, Rogers Cable will include Rogers SportsNet as part of their basic package. But will Bell? No. Cogeco. Probably not. Shaw/ Other TV providers?

Are Canadians going to pay more for their beloved Saturday night hockey?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    I'm not, nor ever was implying they were going to march on the hill. I'm pointing to what will probably amount to a huge ratings drop.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Funny how they delayed soccer coverage to announce the big news. As if they care.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not, nor ever was implying they were going to march on the hill. I'm pointing to what will probably amount to a huge ratings drop.
    You initially said that this deal might push Canadians against Rogers, which seemed to imply more than a ratings drop, but OK.

I disagree ratings will drop. Canadians will not stop watching hockey. Hockey ratings have been rising steadily and there's no reason to believe they will drop just because the channel changes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    You initially said that this deal might push Canadians against Rogers, which seemed to imply more than a ratings drop, but OK.
    Canadians already hate Rogers. But now Rogers is messing with Canadian hockey history. That's an unknown dynamic IMO.

I disagree ratings will drop. Canadians will not stop watching hockey. Hockey ratings have been rising steadily and there's no reason to believe they will drop just because the channel changes.
    It's not just about a channel change. This is what you need to understand.

I can load up my Xbox, and watch Hockey Night in Canada for Free using the app. Is that going to be the case next year?
    I can setup my HD antenna, and watch CBC in HD for free (by extension HNIC). What about when Rogers removes it from CBC?

What about those with Basic cable package who want to watch Saturday night hockey in 4 years when Rogers take it away? That'll be an extra $50 bucks a month please for the "SportsNet Package"

Rogers is going to charge for these services. And if there is 2 things Canadians really hate it's 1. Taking money out of my pocket 2. Messing with hockey.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I can load up my Xbox, and watch Hockey Night in Canada for Free using the app. Is that going to be the case next year?
    I can setup my HD antenna, and watch CBC in HD for free (by extension HNIC). What about when Rogers removes it from CBC?

What about those with Basic cable package who want to watch Saturday night hockey in 4 years when Rogers take it away? That'll be an extra $50 bucks a month please for the "SportsNet Package"

Rogers is going to charge for these services. And if there is 2 things Canadians really hate it's 1. Taking money out of my pocket 2. Messing with hockey.
    Clearly Rogers plans to leverage its rights on all platforms so it's pretty hard to imagine them not servicing Xbox and other game devices as well as phones, tablets and whatever other gizmos come along in the next 12 years.

Anyone who relies solely on an antenna to watch hockey will be out of luck six out of seven nights -- just as they are now. Based on Rogers' sample Saturday schedule, there will be still be over-the-air hockey on Saturday nights even when CBC is out of the picture. But even if they don't use an OTA provider and push everything to another tier of cable, people will pay IMO because it is hockey. My bet is that Canadians won't turn their backs on hockey no matter what. They will grumble about paying more, but they will pay it -- just as they grumble about cable bills, cell phone fees, gas prices, etc., and still pay.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    This is a sample Saturday night schedule:

Rogers/NHL deal adds value to fans with more games, more content, more choice and more flexibility. Sample Saturday: pic.twitter.com/LD5rhPO52w
    — NHL (@NHL) November 26, 2013

I can't deny that this will give Sportsnet a huge boost then.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force