Closed Thread
Page 5 of 110 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    As I sat watching sports lowlights this morning I'll say once again that I DON"T WANT MLSE ANY WHERE NEAR THE ARGONAUTS! Everything they touch turns to SHITE. The Raptors sit and spin their wheels year in and year out. They just had a huge trade, I'm sure there ready to roll now. haha. The Leafs are the Leafs, going nowhere yet again. TFC has done squat since day one. The Marlies are just there.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That is one magical sponge.
    To clarify, it's magic spray:

13942.RO.AP01.jpg

MGC-3.jpg

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    As I sat watching sports lowlights this morning I'll say once again that I DON"T WANT MLSE ANY WHERE NEAR THE ARGONAUTS! Everything they touch turns to SHITE. The Raptors sit and spin their wheels year in and year out. They just had a huge trade, I'm sure there ready to roll now. haha. The Leafs are the Leafs, going nowhere yet again. TFC has done squat since day one. The Marlies are just there.
    So you would prefer nobody stepping up to buy the team? We all know Braley isn't going to own the team much longer. And to be honest, even though the Argos have won 6 GC's in the last 31 season's, they too have had quite a few embarrassing stinky seasons over that span. IMO the reason has been lack of stable ownership. I think MLSE would change that.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    So you would prefer nobody stepping up to buy the team? We all know Braley isn't going to own the team much longer. And to be honest, even though the Argos have won 6 GC's in the last 31 season's, they too have had quite a few embarrassing stinky seasons over that span. IMO the reason has been lack of stable ownership. I think MLSE would change that.
    . Way to value your fave team. So your mentality is that if Mlse does not buy them then nobody would waste a penny on them? I have read there are interested parties so I would hope there is a competitive bid to own an operate them with a prosperous future ahead as opposed to getting swallowed by an entity who clearly cares less about winning and cares only about lining their pockets at the fans expense. No thanks. I could honestly see some longtime Argo fans bail on the team if Mlse owned them and I have to say I would not call them a fake fan for doing so and would understand their motivation for doing so on principle reasons. Some people are just wired that way.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    If MLSE is their only hope than that's the way it has to be but right now I'm not happy with that. At least The Argos win championships. The Leafs haven't won since the original six. I don't see it happening anytime soon soon either. If MLSE does buy the team and fix the stadium up to sweet standards and keep their noses out of day to day operations than it could be ok.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    . Way to value your fave team. So your mentality is that if Mlse does not buy them then nobody would waste a penny on them? I have read there are interested parties so I would hope there is a competitive bid to own an operate them with a prosperous future ahead as opposed to getting swallowed by an entity who clearly cares less about winning and cares only about lining their pockets at the fans expense. No thanks. I could honestly see some longtime Argo fans bail on the team if Mlse owned them and I have to say I would not call them a fake fan for doing so and would understand their motivation for doing so on principle reasons. Some people are just wired that way.
    This has nothing to do with me putting a value on them. Recent history proves that people haven't exactly been beating the doors down to buy them, and the League and David Braley (even when C and S owned them) have basically been paying the Bills for them. As far as your reading that there are several other candidates out there, I hope you are right. But at the same time, if Braley wants to get full value for them, he has to get these rumours out there. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic
    If MLSE is their only hope than that's the way it has to be but right now I'm not happy with that. At least The Argos win championships. The Leafs haven't won since the original six. I don't see it happening anytime soon soon either. If MLSE does buy the team and fix the stadium up to sweet standards and keep their noses out of day to day operations than it could be ok.
    That is the same way I feel. I just want the Argos to be healthy financially going forward. And yes, I too would be worried about the likes of Liewikie (sp?) putting his hands on the team. One only has to look at the lack of stability regarding from office comings and goings of their soccer team to worry about how the Argos would be run. The difference I hope is that they should realize that the Argos at least have competent people running them, as unlike the soccer team, they are not starting from scratch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Interesting to see that wealthy NFL teams have trouble with new stadiums too. The 49ers are moving to the new "Levi's Stadium" next season in Santa Clara, but they've realized that due to parking problems, they won't be able to host weekday games. Weekends only. No "Monday Night Football" in the new place.

Lack of parking will block in 49ers on weeknight games
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    If MLSE does buy the team and fix the stadium up to sweet standards and keep their noses out of day to day operations than it could be ok.
    I want MLSE to stick their noses into building a training facility that's worthy of a professional sports franchise.

I want them to stick their noses into advertising and cross-marketing this team like its never been marketed before.

I want them to stick their noses into creating and selling Argos merchandise so that great Argo swag is available everywhere.

I want them to stick their noses into raising the media profile of the franchise among all local media outlets and local media personalities.

I've had enough of amateur hobbyist ownership of this club. It's 2013, it's finally time for professional sports management for the Argonauts.

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rich, does that also mean that you want them to stick their nose, or hands, into your wallet? I can absolutely guarantee that season ticket rates will jump by 30% or more the first season those greedy arses get their hands on the Argos. all of what you mentioned can be accomplished without MLSE. It simply takes leadership and an astute marketing team. You can have a great marketing program with little money. I've done it, and watched some low-cost programs flourish, and glitz and glams ones fail miesearbly. MLSE always tries to buy success. That won't necessarily work with the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronInToronto View Post
    Rich, does that also mean that you want them to stick their nose, or hands, into your wallet? I can absolutely guarantee that season ticket rates will jump by 30% or more the first season those greedy arses get their hands on the Argos. all of what you mentioned can be accomplished without MLSE. It simply takes leadership and an astute marketing team. You can have a great marketing program with little money. I've done it, and watched some low-cost programs flourish, and glitz and glams ones fail miesearbly. MLSE always tries to buy success. That won't necessarily work with the Argos.
    I don't believe there is one chance in a million that MLSE will raise prices by 30% or more the first season they own the club. This is a team struggling to establish a firm foothold in a crowded market. MLSE knows how to do one thing well, and that's make money. Alienating the already-too-small fan base of the Argos with a massive price increase at the outset would not be part of any sensible business strategy -- and say what you want about MLSE's on-field success, no one has ever accused them of implementing dumb business strategies. It's certainly possible -- even likely -- that prices will go up as the value of the club increases and the reduced number of tickets available in the new facility comes into play, but 30%? The first year? I say not a chance.

As for how easy it is to market a team, the only things required being "leadership and an astute marketing team," I say if it were that easy, you'd think it might have been done sometime between the end of the Bill Hodgson regime in 1979 and now. I don't know what programs you've been involved with, Aaron, but I'd hazard a guess they did not involve a sports franchise team that is surrounded by massively larger sports franchises and does not control its "home" stadium or the dates it gets assigned to play "home" games, among other obstacles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I want MLSE to stick their noses into building a training facility that's worthy of a professional sports franchise.

I want them to stick their noses into advertising and cross-marketing this team like its never been marketed before.

I want them to stick their noses into creating and selling Argos merchandise so that great Argo swag is available everywhere.

I want them to stick their noses into raising the media profile of the franchise among all local media outlets and local media personalities.

I've had enough of amateur hobbyist ownership of this club. It's 2013, it's finally time for professional sports management for the Argonauts.
    Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Along with significant price increases.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Along with significant price increases.
    As Paul said, I don't think any increases will be significant. Perhaps more in line with what the rest of the league charges though. Argos prices are low compare to the rest of the league because there are always plenty of tickets available. If the cost of having sellouts means increased prices, then so be it. At least the team will be healthy.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As Paul said, I don't think any increases will be significant. Perhaps more in line with what the rest of the league charges though. Argos prices are low compare to the rest of the league because there are always plenty of tickets available. If the cost of having sellouts means increased prices, then so be it. At least the team will be healthy.
    I believe prices will be going up next season anyways, without MLSE. Reason being exactly what you said Angelo. Now that the Argos are more successful, they feel they can charge the same prices as other teams.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't believe there is one chance in a million that MLSE will raise prices by 30% or more the first season they own the club. This is a team struggling to establish a firm foothold in a crowded market. MLSE knows how to do one thing well, and that's make money. Alienating the already-too-small fan base of the Argos with a massive price increase at the outset would not be part of any sensible business strategy -- and say what you want about MLSE's on-field success, no one has ever accused them of implementing dumb business strategies. It's certainly possible -- even likely -- that prices will go up as the value of the club increases and the reduced number of tickets available in the new facility comes into play, but 30%? The first year? I say not a chance.
    I agree with you 100% here. I highly doubt MLSE would increase prices very much the first year. I would guess they would keep them relatively the same to what the prices are from when they take over, if they take over. Prices for TFC have decreased for obvious reasons.

As for how easy it is to market a team, the only things required being "leadership and an astute marketing team," I say if it were that easy, you'd think it might have been done sometime between the end of the Bill Hodgson regime in 1979 and now. I don't know what programs you've been involved with, Aaron, but I'd hazard a guess they did not involve a sports franchise team that is surrounded by massively larger sports franchises and does not control its "home" stadium or the dates it gets assigned to play "home" games, among other obstacles.
    I don't know what is up with the Argos marketing department. I can't recall seeing much marketing this year outside of events the teams does like sending cheerleaders to things and the team had a booth at the Sports Expo part of Fan Expo where they were selling tickets. How much would it cost them to put posters on the transit system a few weeks before the home opener or exhibition game with a season schedule on it and leave them up for the season?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I don't know what is up with the Argos marketing department. I can't recall seeing much marketing this year outside of events the teams does like sending cheerleaders to things and the team had a booth at the Sports Expo part of Fan Expo where they were selling tickets. How much would it cost them to put posters on the transit system a few weeks before the home opener or exhibition game with a season schedule on it and leave them up for the season?

As I've written here before, the Argos placed tons of ads in the Toronto Sun and on TSN Radio all season, and they are now running "buy season's tickets" ads in both places. They also did at least one TV commercial that ran locally. It seems to me that targeting hard-core sports fans (many of whom read the Sun and listen to sports radio) makes more sense than throwing up ads on subways and the like. I'm no marketing expert but I think many who are would advocate targeting your spending where it will do the most good.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    As I've written here before, the Argos placed tons of ads in the Toronto Sun and on TSN Radio all season, and they are now running "buy season's tickets" ads in both places. They also did at least one TV commercial that ran locally. It seems to me that targeting hard-core sports fans (many of whom read the Sun and listen to sports radio) makes more sense than throwing up ads on subways and the like. I'm no marketing expert but I think many who are would advocate targeting your spending where it will do the most good.
    Ok. I guess the question is "How much good are those ads doing?" then. I don't think the TSN ads come out of the Argos advertising budget either. I would think that is TSN promoting the product to promote themselves as well as the TV ad and the few Argo/TSN posters I saw.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ok. I guess the question is "How much good are those ads doing?" then. I don't think the TSN ads come out of the Argos advertising budget either. I would think that is TSN promoting the product to promote themselves as well as the TV ad and the few Argo/TSN posters I saw.
    The radio ads are very explicit -- "we want you to buy season's tickets." They don't promote TSN TV or radio, they promote ticket sales. No question there is cross-brand value in them, but I doubt very much that TSN Radio donates the airtime for these ads, and I can pretty well guarantee that the Sun doesn't give its ad space away. If the Argos get, say, a cut rate from TSN Radio because it owns radio rights to the team, that just means the team's bottom line will be slightly better than it would have been at full rate (but would still, I think we'd all agree, show a net loss on operations).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Purchase the team, market and merchandise the hell out of the team, create demand and increase brand recognition then they can look at incremental price increases, if that's the trade off for a once again thriving and relevant Argonaut franchise then so be it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronInToronto View Post
    NO to MLSE; and what you said about leadership and marketing from another possible ownership group - but none of those out there so it goes to MLSE by default? - and the fate of the Argos in those clowns' hands?

Does Braley really expect to be able to extort, er, get huge bucks for the Argos? - did he make some decent coin on the GC last year? And now he expects (i don't know, just surmising) to be able to sell the Argos for million$ ?

Look at the new ownership group in Ottawa - local guys with yes lots of money, but also some running a sports team smarts on board (Hunt), and NOT a huge corporate entity that's JUST about bottom line. No rich guys in TO who are big football or Canadian sport fans who could band together (and possibly enlist a part community ownership model) to buy the Argos and run them wisely? MLSE to the resucue i guess.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    The radio ads are very explicit -- "we want you to buy season's tickets." They don't promote TSN TV or radio, they promote ticket sales. No question there is cross-brand value in them, but I doubt very much that TSN Radio donates the airtime for these ads, and I can pretty well guarantee that the Sun doesn't give its ad space away. If the Argos get, say, a cut rate from TSN Radio because it owns radio rights to the team, that just means the team's bottom line will be slightly better than it would have been at full rate (but would still, I think we'd all agree, show a net loss on operations).
    I find what little marketing they do to be off-putting because it's just "tickets, tickets, tickets, tickets." It's like they have no other way to promote themselves except by repeatedly insisting you buy tickets. It makes them seem desperate.