Page 26 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    It certainly was not before my time - yes, traffic is worse now - but I still remember in the mid 50's, as a lad, all the moaning and groaning about having to go all the way to Exhibition Stadium, instead of just walking into the friendly confines of Varsity Stadium. Nothing ever changes that much.

It all depends on your level of commitment to the fan experience ( ie what price you will pay emotionally, physically and financially) that you will happily give to go to an Argos game. Meal before the game ? -- many times I have happily settled for 2 hotdogs at my seat so that I can see the opening kick off.

Exhibition Stadium was a great place to watch and play football, despite travel problems or weather. Why ? -- because it was the home of the Argos! Let's hope that BMO can generate that same feeling.
    All great points, Argo fans back in those days made their way to the stadium come hell or high water, Exhibition Stadium wasn't the prettiest place but definitely had atmosphere!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Good point about the Labour Day Classic, so worst case scenario is that we'd probably only have a maximum of 2 home games during the CNE.
    It was always one in the years before the move to the dome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    It was always one in the years before the move to the dome.
    An Argo game with free admission to the CNE would be a fun day I would enjoy. The atmosphere and excitement around the stadium that day would bring back good times. I have never had an issue parking for TFC games and a 1 minute walk from the Go station sure beats that skywalk from Union.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here is more from the Toronto Star about the possible move of the Argos to BMO Field: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...bmo_field.html
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Has SkyDome ever really felt like home for the Argos? I am not sure that it can be any worse than it has been for the last 25 years.
    Well... In the first year of the Keith Pelley area, when the 500 level was suddenly filled with giant banners of all-time-Argos, and the north end zone seats were covered with giant Argo logos, it occurred to me "hey, this might actually be OUR stadium." It was a great look (which didn't last.)
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Home is where the heart is.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think any chance of the Dome feeling like an Argo stadium for the long-term dissipated when Harry Ornest sold the right of first refusal for home dates to the Blue Jays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I think any chance of the Dome feeling like an Argo stadium for the long-term dissipated when Harry Ornest sold the right of first refusal for home dates to the Blue Jays.
    Wow, thatts ridiculous. Where is the league in these matters?? Seems the way people talk in this city as far as the media Is concerned regarding the Argos future there Is no thought given to CFL approval in any regard. What power and leverage does the league have in matters like what Argolio mentioned and how will this affect te future at BMO. Will the league stand up and say anything about the teams say in gameday stadium matters or is the CFL that desperate to take whatever is given to them. I read an article few yrs back I wish I could find that said any future TO NFL team could seamlessly transition the Argonauts name to the new league without any mention of who actually owns the name (in the event that the Argos folded).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Wow, thatts ridiculous. Where is the league in these matters?? Seems the way people talk in this city as far as the media Is concerned regarding the Argos future there Is no thought given to CFL approval in any regard. What power and leverage does the league have in matters like what Argolio mentioned and how will this affect te future at BMO. Will the league stand up and say anything about the teams say in gameday stadium matters or is the CFL that desperate to take whatever is given to them. I read an article few yrs back I wish I could find that said any future TO NFL team could seamlessly transition the Argonauts name to the new league without any mention of who actually owns the name (in the event that the Argos folded).
    The CFL definitely owns the Argonauts name so, as much as the NFL in Toronto folks would love to get that, it will not happen. Ornest had the right to do what he did, whether the league liked it or not - and, at the time, the league had many more worries than that particular issue - but Harry ultimately did the Argos no favours by giving that right up.

Years from now, what will the memories of SkyDome be for Argos fans? Many look back on Exhibition Stadium and Varsity Stadium before that fondly but what will fans say about SkyDome? I doubt that we will be hearing, "Oh yes, I miss seeing that roof open and close so much! Those were the good old days." As I have said many times before, ironically, the SkyDome was born out of the 1982 Grey Cup that the Argos lost to Edmonton. However, you would never know that if you only looked at the shabby, second-class citizen way that the Argos have been treated at that stadium from the outset.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I received a response from one of them:

Thank you for this feedback. I will be certain to keep this in mind. For my records, might you be able to share your address with me?

Yours,

Mike

Councillor Mike Layton
    Ward 19, Trinity-Spadina
    Phone: 416 392 4009
    Fax:416 392 4100

If you have scheduled a meeting with anyone in Councillor Layton's Office, you may be required to register as a Lobbyist. The City of Toronto's definition of lobbying is quite broad. You are advised to check for more information online http://www.toronto.ca/lobbying/ or phone (416) 338-5858.
    I asked about there only being 25,000 seats for Argonauts games. This is the response that I got:

Good Morning,

Thank you for the comments. I have passed them on to Councillor Grimes directly. Our understanding is that some of the issues with seat expansion relate to the physical foot print of the building.

Best Regards,

Colin Johnston

Councillor Mark Grimes' Office
    Ward 6, Etobicoke Lakeshore
    City Hall
    100 Queen Street West, Suite C48
    Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
    Tel: 416-397-9273 Fax: 416-397-9279
    www.markgrimes.ca

I was disappointed to see that there will only be 25,000 permanent seats for Argonauts games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    I was disappointed to see that there will only be 25,000 permanent seats for Argonauts games.
    I've been kind of quiet about this whole MLSE/BMO thing because I am still looking for the positives, and I still don't see any. Sorry, but I just don't trust MLSE to have the best interests of the Argonauts in mind. Twenty-five thousand seats for football an 30k for soccer!!??. I think they have their numbers reversed. It won't take to long for them to wish they had 30k for footall and 25k for soccer.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I've been kind of quiet about this whole MLSE/BMO thing because I am still looking for the positives, and I still don't see any. Sorry, but I just don't trust MLSE to have the best interests of the Argonauts in mind. Twenty-five thousand seats for football an 30k for soccer!!??. I think they have their numbers reversed. It won't take to long for them to wish they had 30k for footall and 25k for soccer.
    MLSE ownership and the Argos moving in to BMO Field originally seemed to be one and the same issue but now they do not. The Argos will play at BMO Field if the stadium expansion deal is approved by the city which looks extremely likely. Whether MLSE will buy the Argos is yet to be seen. The reason they can't make BMO Field 30K for the Argos is because apparently one of the Exhibition Place's conditions for expansion was that the stadiums existing footprint remain as close as possible to how it stands now. I assume they didn't want to tear down the Food Building on the northern end of the stadium or divert the street that runs behind the stadiums southern end.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I'd be more worried about the Argos consistently selling out 25k seats. If they can do that then people can complain but until then...

And the seating capacities having nothing to do with relative popularities of soccer or football, it's a matter of field size and configuration (CFL larger field, thus less space, thus less room for crowd in confined area)

TFC will have enough problems getting their numbers up but off season signings may have helped the team rebound.

As for MLSE, the Argos couldn't continue the way they were going with seemingly no direction and getting kicked out of their home. This at the very worst at least buys them some more time. And if all goes well there'll be some real positives coming out of it.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Though I am not from from the Toronto area, I cannot help but think that having a consistent schedule (this year there is 1 tuesday (WTF for I will never know) and 1 thursday home game all the rest are Friday night or Sat afternoon) will be a good tonic for them. If they could get rid of the Tues and Thursday games even better. Then if the team and the CFL could get some media on side who actually give a damn then the future looks pretty good for the team and the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Question Ideal Stadium Size?

We already had a Poll about the Stadium Location:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...dium-Locations

So I was curious to see what everyone thinks the ideal Argonauts Stadium size would be.

Personally I think that 25,000 permanent seats for the Argonauts is to small. We had 3 games last season that had an attendance of over 25,000.

Here's last season's attendance for games at Rogers Centre:

35,418 (Playoff Game)

Average attendance: 23,276
    Average regular season attendance: 21,926

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    Though I am not from from the Toronto area, I cannot help but think that having a consistent schedule (this year there is 1 tuesday (WTF for I will never know) and 1 thursday home game all the rest are Friday night or Sat afternoon) will be a good tonic for them. If they could get rid of the Tues and Thursday games even better. Then if the team and the CFL could get some media on side who actually give a damn then the future looks pretty good for the team and the league.
    This year is the Argo's best schedule in a few years. Even still. The Argos have been forced to take 2 long road trips and then finish the season with 5 of their last 6 at home.

In 2012 we played every day of the week at home. (same thing happened in 2004, so who are we to complain about those years!)
    2013 was worse I think.

More than likely, in order to appease TFC fans.
    There is going to be one of 2 scenarios,

1) Soccer would be played on Saturday & Argo's at home on Sundays.
    2) Soccer played on Wednesday - Argos Friday night, with the weekend off.

However, some of the soccer jokers seem to think the Argos will continue their preseason games at varsity to "protect the turf" lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    27K in my mind strikes a not too much - not too little balance.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    All three above >25000 games were Ticats and was boosted by Ticat and not Argo fans.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    In a perfect world 27k seating seems ideal but if you remove the games involving the Ticats the planned seating capacity is just about right, until we actually prove that we can average 25k+ per game we have nothing to complain about!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    This year is the Argo's best schedule in a few years. Even still. The Argos have been forced to take 2 long road trips and then finish the season with 5 of their last 6 at home.

In 2012 we played every day of the week at home. (same thing happened in 2004, so who are we to complain about those years!)
    2013 was worse I think.

More than likely, in order to appease TFC fans.
    There is going to be one of 2 scenarios,

1) Soccer would be played on Saturday & Argo's at home on Sundays.
    2) Soccer played on Wednesday - Argos Friday night, with the weekend off.

However, some of the soccer jokers seem to think the Argos will continue their preseason games at varsity to "protect the turf" lol
    I heard somewhere that the home games of the two teams will be staggered (as best as they can) to reduce the wear and tear on the field. So argos one week and tfc the next... should be a MUCH faster turnaround time for BMO than robbers centre.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227