Page 11 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The fact that Lieweke mentions the possibility of the Grey Cup being played at a renovated BMO Field speaks volumes.
    Am I the only one that would prefer the Grey Cup be played at the Robbers Center? I would think the CFL execs, and I would be in agreement, would rather be nice and toasty warm during a Grey Cup inside the concrete sarcophagus than have their nads frozen off by a constant on shore breeze at BMO. Plus Robbers holds more people. I guess it's moot if MLSE buys the Argos, but if they don't then why would the CFL choose a renovated BMO?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I will throw in my agreement with Mr. Woods. If we are to share a stadium with Toronto FC fans then I would hope that Argo fans would conduct themselves with class when dealing with Toronto FC fans. It is unfortunate that this doesn't appear to be the case.

...and no just because certain Toronto FC fans aren't acting classy isn't an excuse to act poorly.
    Agreed!!
    I'm sure if this (Reno) happens the game experience will be enhanced for both TFC fans and Argo fans which is the only thing that matters. I myself am not a soccer fan but having said that wish TFC well when they play, I grew up a Toronto sports fan and want all of our teams to do succeed period!!
    Argos are my favourite team, if your team happens to be TFC, Rock, Leafs enjoy!
    Simply ignore the antagonistic dumb-ass posts and carry on!

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    "Not only that, it would seem a strangely accommodating decision just to squeeze in nine or ten dates per year of minor league football.'

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2014/0...-at-bmo-field/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Am I the only one that would prefer the Grey Cup be played at the Robbers Center? I would think the CFL execs, and I would be in agreement, would rather be nice and toasty warm during a Grey Cup inside the concrete sarcophagus than have their nads frozen off by a constant on shore breeze at BMO. Plus Robbers holds more people. I guess it's moot if MLSE buys the Argos, but if they don't then why would the CFL choose a renovated BMO?
    It makes little sense to play the Grey Cup at BMO when RC is sitting empty. I believe Leiweke brought up the Winter Classic and Grey Cup as potential events as they require a 40,000-seat stadium...the Argos and TFC not so much (and weren't mentioned). Leiweke said "expandability" is the key. What other event would require 40,000+ seats in a football configureation? (not the Bills as they don't need that many seats).

It's funny how MLSE has changed their tune since October. Leiweke said MLSE would be paying for the BMO upgrades, but now claims they've already lobbied 3 levels of government "at high levels" for funding to renovate the 7-year old stadium?

Oct.1/13:
    Leiweke: "The two or three principals that we have locked in on, that we will not bend on, first has to be grass, cannot be artificial or else we don't get designated players and it ruins the experience for the fans of both clubs. Two, you have to have a seating configuration for soccer that is as good if not better than today and a seating configuration for the CFL that offers the expanded end-zones and a 55 yard line not a 50 yard line. Three, you have to do this by making sure that you put additional improvements into the overall stadium including a roof and being able to afford it financially knowing that we are going to have to pick up the cheque and the tax payers are not going to write a cheque for these improvements."

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/9/3...of-100-million
    Jan.1/14:
    "...an upgrade of the magnitude Leiweke has described requires a sizeable financial investment that the CFL would be unwilling to finance. It may not be required for the league to do so. Leiweke told Johnston that MLSE has already lobbied all three levels of government to help fund the "hundreds of millions" of dollars estimated to upgrade BMO. That figure is significantly more than the original cost of the building, along Toronto’s lakeshore on the city’s exhibition grounds, which was $62.9 million back in 2007.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...-to-bmo-field/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While I agree that we should show respect for soccer fans, I have another concern. Despite the fact that I really want the Argos to have a fine, new, permanent home, I am concerned with the ever growing demand that billionaire corporations and individuals can build ever grander sports centres primarily through the funding provided by average taxpayers or team X will die or move, especially when health care, education, roads, sewer systems and other services more essential to life are continually facing demands for cutbacks. You can be sure that if MLSE gets the hundreds of millions it seeks from government, the demand for the next sports centre will be for even more taxpayer money, driving up the value of the owners, players (the CFL players would be a rare exception to the modern pro's millionaire salaries), TV networks and ticket prices. American cities have paid a high price in terms for following this model. I'm now ready to be stoned for my comments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I agree that I'd rather have Playoff games and Grey Cup games played at the Rogers Centre. I have zero appetite for watching a sporting event in sub zero temperatures.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    It makes little sense to play the Grey Cup at BMO when RC is sitting empty. I believe Leiweke brought up the Winter Classic and Grey Cup as potential events as they require a 40,000-seat stadium...the Argos and TFC not so much (and weren't mentioned). Leiweke said "expandability" is the key. What other event would require 40,000+ seats in a football configureation? (not the Bills as they don't need that many seats).
    That's a good question. Anything big would be going to the RC (would you want to risk your event to the whims of the weather gods?). The Winter Classic is a one time thing so to me it's not the selling point to hang your hat on. If MLSE isn't whispering Argos in the ears of the politicians I can't see why they would agree to fund any sort of expansion for a stadium to be used by essentially one team. I would imagine all three levels would tell MLSE to pay for it yourself but considering the Liberals were willing to covertly give MLSE $500,000 to host the NBA All Star Game maybe Leiweke has a more silvery tongue than was first assumed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    BMO is owned by Toronto and run by MLSE MLSE is owned in part by Bell which owns TSN. Now that Rogers has NHL rights for 12 years, Bell/TSN must have a thriving CFL as a TV priority sport. From a television perspective the CFL outdraws all other sports, bar the NHL. Money wise, it makes sense for MLSE to bring the Argos into the fold. Granted TFC fans will object to having to share the stadium, which they consider theirs--but it isn't theirs, it belongs to the city. The Argos will be the high profile team when they are housed at BMO and this will help with all concerned. It comes down to money--MLSE needs govt money to expand BMO and Bell/TSN need a vibrant Argos as part of the CFL to attract advertising revenue. Should be a done deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    BMO is owned by Toronto and run by MLSE MLSE is owned in part by Bell which owns TSN. Now that Rogers has NHL rights for 12 years, Bell/TSN must have a thriving CFL as a TV priority sport. From a television perspective the CFL outdraws all other sports, bar the NHL. Money wise, it makes sense for MLSE to bring the Argos into the fold. Granted TFC fans will object to having to share the stadium, which they consider theirs--but it isn't theirs, it belongs to the city. The Argos will be the high profile team when they are housed at BMO and this will help with all concerned. It comes down to money--MLSE needs govt money to expand BMO and Bell/TSN need a vibrant Argos as part of the CFL to attract advertising revenue. Should be a done deal.
    You're forgetting one important thing. Rogers is also a part owner of MLSE. And like you said they are heavily invested in the NHL and the Blue Jays. Why would Rogers / Sportsnet want to help out their biggest competition in Bell / TSN?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    You're forgetting one important thing. Rogers is also a part owner of MLSE. And like you said they are heavily invested in the NHL and the Blue Jays. Why would Rogers / Sportsnet want to help out their biggest competition in Bell / TSN?
    You are aware that Rogers wants the Argos out of the Rogers Centre, right? If MLSE buys them and moves them out it's a win/win situation for both parties involved. It's obvious your hatred for MLSE is blinding your judgment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    You are aware that Rogers wants the Argos out of the Rogers Centre, right? If MLSE buys them and moves them out it's a win/win situation for both parties involved. It's obvious your hatred for MLSE is blinding your judgment.
    And sniffing grass at BMO field is blinding yours.

:P

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    And sniffing grass at BMO field is blinding yours.

:P
    How so? Having concerns over the Argos moving in to BMO Field makes me blind?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    How so? Having concerns over the Argos moving in to BMO Field makes me blind?
    No sniffing grass does.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Because Bell/TSN also owns a piece of MLSE.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes I am aware. I'm also aware that Rogers as part owner of MLSE is not going to vote in favour of anything that helps it's biggest competitor in Bell.

Rogers biggest competitor in every division of it's business is Bell. TSN is also owned by Bell. Rogers has Sportsnet, an exclusive contract with the NHL and the Blue Jays. Bell has TSN and an exclusive contract with the CFL and NFL.

These two companies are fierce competitors who go head to head in every single aspect of their business. They are not going to do anything to help each other out.

I don't hate MLSE, I just think that they're completely incompetent when it comes to On Field / Court / Ice performance and I don't want them anywhere near the Argonauts. Look at their teams, leafs no cup since 1967, haven't made the finals since 1967 (6 team league) and had the longest playoff drought of any NHL team until they finally made the playoffs last season in a shortened season. TFC hasn't made the playoffs in it's 8 year existence and is the only MLS team that has done that. The Raptors have won 1 playoff series in their 19 year existence. Do we really want these clowns running our Argonauts?

And then on top of that we keep hearing how MLSE really wants an NFL team. What happens to the Argonauts if MLSE owns them and they do get an NFL team? Best case scenario they do the bare minimum to keep them alive well concentrating on their shiny new NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Because Bell/TSN also owns a piece of MLSE.
    Yeah Rogers and Bell equally own 75% of MLSE so they cancel each other out and it comes down to NFL lover Larry Tanenbaum and his 25%.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ardesh View Post
    "Not only that, it would seem a strangely accommodating decision just to squeeze in nine or ten dates per year of minor league football.'

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2014/0...-at-bmo-field/
    Hope the email address you signed up for isn't your personal or work one.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post41378

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Yeah Rogers and Bell equally own 75% of MLSE so they cancel each other out and it comes down to NFL lover Larry Tanenbaum and his 25%.
    Since both Rogers and Bell are equal majority owners of MLSE it is only beneficial to both of them that MLSE is making money. Why would MLSE buy the Argos only to kill them as you have implied before? It makes no sense. If they buy them they are going to do everything to profit from them. If they don't want to do that all they have to do is not buy them and evict them from Rogers Centre to hurt them in a big way. I think it's obvious by now that Rogers/Bell/MLSE see a possibility for money to be made. Having MLSE buy the Argos helps all three parties interests. Rogers gets them out of Rogers Centre. Bell wants the Argos because it only helps them with their TSN/CFL deal, and MLSE will profit on them along with getting BMO Field upgraded which will generate more revenue for them with future events like the Winter Classic etc. I can't argue with you about MLSE teams playing records but what would you prefer? Having the Argos be in position were they are financially sound and with potential to grow? Or have things carry on the way they have been? Braley understandably wants to sell both the Argos and BC as he is not getting younger. I'm thankful for Braley stepping in and taking care of the Argos when no one else would. Unfortunately though from what is sounds like he is just covering the bills and not spending a whole lot of extra money which is not going to help growth of the Argos brand etc. We are going to be homeless in 5 years if we don't find an alternative and outside of BMO Field there isn't anything really coming together from the looks of things. If it's a matter of the Argos existing vs. not existing I'll take the MLSE deal. If MLSE wants an NFL team, I'm sure the NFL would rather award a team to owners that have shown they can successfully run a football vs. owners that bought one to kill it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I do hate MLSE and for everything they stand for.
    However and since Bell is now an equal owner, you would think that they would have the stones and the voting rights to tell that idiot Liewueke to shut up about the NFL as this ultimately is hurting their soon to be biggest remaining tv brand, the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't hate MLSE, I just think that they're completely incompetent when it comes to On Field / Court / Ice performance and I don't want them anywhere near the Argonauts. Look at their teams, leafs no cup since 1967, haven't made the finals since 1967 (6 team league) and had the longest playoff drought of any NHL team until they finally made the playoffs last season in a shortened season. TFC hasn't made the playoffs in it's 8 year existence and is the only MLS team that has done that. The Raptors have won 1 playoff series in their 19 year existence. Do we really want these clowns running our Argonauts?
    How great have the Argo owners been over the years? Harry Ornest was a tightwad (with a horrendous sense of design) yet we almost got to the Grey Cup with him. McNall et al were doing it with other people's money, as it turned out, yet we won the GC with them. C and S were doing it with other people's money, as it turned out, yet we won the GC with them. Braley, despite the vitriol he gets from a couple of idiots on the cfl.ca forums, has for the most part been a decent owner, but some of the others sure haven't. Yet we have won five Grey Cups since 1991. How well MLSE has done with its other teams is irrelevant, IMO. This is a nine-team league where it is much easier to win than the NHL or NBA. I don't believe for a second that if MLSE owned the Argos, we'd suddenly be doomed to become a perpetual loser.

What happens to the Argonauts if MLSE owns them and they do get an NFL team? Best case scenario they do the bare minimum to keep them alive well concentrating on their shiny new NFL team.
    MLSE is all about making profit. If they own the Argos and somehow get an NFL team (the latter is highly unlikely but not entirely out of the question), they will run both to make profits. The way to make a profit with the Argos, IMO, is to get them into a great facility with good dates and an accessible location, have them be successful on the field and promote them as an affordable niche product. If they also made some NFL ticket buyers pony up for Argo tickets or otherwise subsidize the CFL team, that would be fine with me.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If they also made some NFL ticket buyers pony up for Argo tickets or otherwise subsidize the CFL team, that would be fine with me.
    Agreed. The NFL in Toronto gets more unlikely by the day but if it does happen the Argos would become Football Jr. under the MLSE umbrella with cross-selling of tickets, gear, etc. It wouldn't be such a terrible outcome. Other NFL owners might look askance at one team potentially having a free farm team but rules could be put in place regarding player transfer.

Speaking of profits the Argos aren't making any, which I think everyone moaning about MLSE needs to remember. The team hasn't been profitable in more than two decades. We don't need another well intentioned but ill-equipped multi-millionaire (and there maybe none of those left anyway) but an organization capable of creating efficiencies, doing proper marketing, and absorbing losses in lean years. With the TSN deal and MLSE ownership I don't see why the Argos couldn't be in the black a few million most of the time. That also wouldn't be such a terrible outcome.