Page 24 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that most of those restaurants are a 15+ minute walk. Not sure that I'd call that a short walk.
    I would. But regardless, what is the alternative? This is the best -- only -- solution being offered to give the Argos a place to play, and there's plenty to like about it. No solution anywhere would be perfect or please everyone, but this one seems to touch the most bases. And again, it is the only solution. Carping about the lack of perfection might be satisfying on some level but I prefer to embrace the new possibilities.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Folks, we are being handed a gift horse on a silver platter (to mix metaphors). A stadium where we will have some control over dates, with plenty of parking (opening the possibility of tailgating), with what will certainly be a better atmosphere than 98% of games at SkyDome, and with the game to be played as it should be, in the elements, but stands to be covered so we don't get wet if it rains. And probably a new owner that has buckets of experiencing turning huge profits from its sports teams and other ventures, with all kinds of marketing synergies available. This has the potential to finally end a three-decade slide of the franchise towards slow oblivion in this market, and make it a viable business for years to come. And we are complaining about the absence of a few thousand seats that have seldom been filled in the past three decades, bemoaning the certain price increases and calling what looks like a nicely cosy stadium a cardboard box? Come on, people -- this is the our salvation (or the closest we will ever get to salvation) and should be warmly embraced for the lifeline that it is.

you my friend would make a wonderful politician. Telling people something their tax dollars built is a gift horse on a silver platter. Under the MLSE banner I expect very little to be Argos specific in terms of a practice facility. Expect training camps to take place behind the mastercard centre on that little football field next to humber college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    I'm pretty sure that most of those restaurants are a 15+ minute walk. Not sure that I'd call that a short walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I would. But regardless, what is the alternative? This is the best -- only -- solution being offered to give the Argos a place to play, and there's plenty to like about it. No solution anywhere would be perfect or please everyone, but this one seems to touch the most bases. And again, it is the only solution. Carping about the lack of perfection might be satisfying on some level but I prefer to embrace the new possibilities.
    15+ minute walk isn't short?!

We have it just right at the 950m (approx 12ish) minute walk from from Union Station to Rogers Centre.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.64...!1m0!3e2?hl=en

I guess we know the threshold between short & medium walk lies somewhere between 12 & 15 minutes.
    Where the current 12min walk = perfect and close to everything
    And the proposed 15m walk = nothing is close OMG I'm going to die walking that distance.

Jeepers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    15+ minute walk isn't short?!

We have it just right at the 950m (approx 12ish) minute walk from from Union Station to Rogers Centre.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.64...!1m0!3e2?hl=en

I guess we know the threshold between short & medium walk lies somewhere between 12 & 15 minutes.
    Where the current 12min walk = perfect and close to everything
    And the proposed 15m walk = nothing is close OMG I'm going to die walking that distance.

Jeepers.
    Yeah I park about 20 minutes away from Mosaic for Rider game days. It's no big deal, especially if you have a pint or two in your belly. Dress warm in November though.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Guess it depends how much you're willing to walk. 15 minutes seems pretty short to me. I am prepared to walk 30 minutes if I have to. After the Grey Cup win I walked pretty much to St.George station and that didn't even bother me but hey that's just me. Most games I am coming from UofT so I'm used to those long walks.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    First World problems -- how terrible it is to have to walk 15 minutes from a restaurant in Liberty Village to a nicely refurbished sports stadium that gives an about-to-be-homeless team a home.

Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    you my friend would make a wonderful politician. Telling people something their tax dollars built is a gift horse on a silver platter. Under the MLSE banner I expect very little to be Argos specific in terms of a practice facility. Expect training camps to take place behind the mastercard centre on that little football field next to humber college.
    So stay away if you're so unhappy. I'm thrilled with this solution, especially considering the alternative is nowhere to play -- and therefore no team -- in three years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    First World problems -- how terrible it is to have to walk 15 minutes from a restaurant in Liberty Village to a nicely refurbished sports stadium that gives an about-to-be-homeless team a home.
    That's 15+ minutes each way if you park at or near BMO Field. The problem is trying to get to the Stadium area, then get a meal before the game and then making it back to the stadium in time for Kickoff. Hopefully this won't be as much of a problem if all the games are on Saturdays and Sundays.

As I said in my earlier post just getting to BMO Field is difficult if you don't live on the Lakeshore GO Line.

And when the CNE is on it's even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Yeah I park about 20 minutes away from Mosaic for Rider game days. It's no big deal, especially if you have a pint or two in your belly. Dress warm in November though.
    No offense meant but comparing traffic in Regina to downtown Toronto really isn't the same thing.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    As I said in my earlier post just getting to BMO Field is difficult if you don't live on the Lakeshore GO Line.
    In your opinion. I live in the north end of the city and make my way to BMO Field via public transit a few times a year. Not that difficult, in my opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Its pretty much the perfect solution, expect for the potential fall weather....GO, TTC, tonnes of parking.

But for those of us who remember, sitting in the wet and cold at the old Ex, wasn't very pleasant.

Skydome is a pretty nice place , sadly the new landlord is an a**hole
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    In your opinion. I live in the north end of the city and make my way to BMO Field via public transit a few times a year. Not that difficult, in my opinion.
    Which route do you use and how long does it take?

I remember the nightmare that it was trying to get on a streetcar in the rain after a Tom Petty concert at the Molson Amphitheater.

Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Its pretty much the perfect solution, expect for the potential fall weather....GO, TTC, tonnes of parking.

But for those of us who remember, sitting in the wet and cold at the old Ex, wasn't very pleasant.

Skydome is a pretty nice place , sadly the new landlord is an a**hole
    I agree about the weather and the Rogers Centre.

I disagree about the TTC access and Parking at BMO Field. Especially when the CNE is on.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I remember the nightmare that it was trying to get on a streetcar in the rain after a Tom Petty concert at the Molson Amphitheater.
    There are always additional Dufferin buses as well as street cars going to Bathurst Station and Union Station after TFC games.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It doesn't matter where you put any stadium in any city. Someone will always complain about a certain location, you can't please everyone.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's 15+ minutes each way if you park at or near BMO Field. The problem is trying to get to the Stadium area, then get a meal before the game and then making it back to the stadium in time for Kickoff. Hopefully this won't be as much of a problem if all the games are on Saturdays and Sundays.

No offense meant but comparing traffic in Regina to downtown Toronto really isn't the same thing.
    True...but 15 minutes in Regina is the same as 15 minutes in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Don't know how we all survived when the Argos played at exhibition stadium, I used to park behind Dempsters (near Dufferin and King) and walk to the old stadium, pretty rough!!
    I guess Drive thru restaurants, banking etc have taken their toll after all.
    BTW haven't we all been moaning about how sh*t Rogers centre is for football???
    BMO looks like a great option to me, MLSE ownership would instantly give the Argonauts more "credibility" in this Leaf crazy city. Not a bad thing, I for one look forward to actually seeing some of the younger generation wearing Argo jerseys, hats etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don't know how we all survived when the Argos played at exhibition stadium, I used to park behind Dempsters (near Dufferin and King) and walk to the old stadium, pretty rough!!
    I guess Drive thru restaurants, banking etc have taken their toll after all.
    BTW haven't we all been moaning about how sh*t Rogers centre is for football???
    BMO looks like a great option to me, MLSE ownership would instantly give the Argonauts more "credibility" in this Leaf crazy city. Not a bad thing, I for one look forward to actually seeing some of the younger generation wearing Argo jerseys, hats etc.
    That was before my time but I don't think that traffic was as bad then as it is now. My issue is leaving work and having enough time to get a bite to eat and still get to the Stadium in time for Kickoff.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Especially when the CNE is on.
    That's only one game a year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That's only one game a year.
    Depends on the schedule. Doesn't the CNE run for like 3 weeks?

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Depends on the schedule. Doesn't the CNE run for like 3 weeks?
    The CNE runs for two weeks plus a third weekend (rather like the Olympics). On one of those weekends (Labour day) the Argos ought, by tradition, to be in Hamilton. That leaves two weekends, and thus an average of one home game, to visit BMO while the fair is running. Small potatoes.

Really you seem to be a minority of one in trying to convince us that BMO is terrible location. I've lived in Toronto off-and-on most of my life and never considered 15 minutes a long walk. Plus Liberty Village is groovy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    That was before my time but I don't think that traffic was as bad then as it is now. My issue is leaving work and having enough time to get a bite to eat and still get to the Stadium in time for Kickoff.
    It certainly was not before my time - yes, traffic is worse now - but I still remember in the mid 50's, as a lad, all the moaning and groaning about having to go all the way to Exhibition Stadium, instead of just walking into the friendly confines of Varsity Stadium. Nothing ever changes that much.

It all depends on your level of commitment to the fan experience ( ie what price you will pay emotionally, physically and financially) that you will happily give to go to an Argos game. Meal before the game ? -- many times I have happily settled for 2 hotdogs at my seat so that I can see the opening kick off.

Exhibition Stadium was a great place to watch and play football, despite travel problems or weather. Why ? -- because it was the home of the Argos! Let's hope that BMO can generate that same feeling.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    The CNE runs for two weeks plus a third weekend (rather like the Olympics). On one of those weekends (Labour day) the Argos ought, by tradition, to be in Hamilton. That leaves two weekends, and thus an average of one home game, to visit BMO while the fair is running. Small potatoes.

Really you seem to be a minority of one in trying to convince us that BMO is terrible location. I've lived in Toronto off-and-on most of my life and never considered 15 minutes a long walk. Plus Liberty Village is groovy.
    Good point about the Labour Day Classic, so worst case scenario is that we'd probably only have a maximum of 2 home games during the CNE. I used to live around King and Dufferin so I'm quite familiar with the area and I like the area. However for me now the location is terrible. Difficult to get to and from by the TTC, difficult to drive to, limited parking and very limited restaurant options - except when the CNE is on and the Food Building is open.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    It certainly was not before my time - yes, traffic is worse now - but I still remember in the mid 50's, as a lad, all the moaning and groaning about having to go all the way to Exhibition Stadium, instead of just walking into the friendly confines of Varsity Stadium. Nothing ever changes that much.

It all depends on your level of commitment to the fan experience ( ie what price you will pay emotionally, physically and financially) that you will happily give to go to an Argos game. Meal before the game ? -- many times I have happily settled for 2 hotdogs at my seat so that I can see the opening kick off.

Exhibition Stadium was a great place to watch and play football, despite travel problems or weather. Why ? -- because it was the home of the Argos! Let's hope that BMO can generate that same feeling.
    I try not to buy food at stadiums as I don't like getting ripped off. That is one of the good things about the Rogers Centre, you are allowed to bring your own food in.