Closed Thread
Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    For all we know Mr. Braley is using the MLSE interest in the Argos, to leverage a sweeter stadium deal with Markham or Mississauga. He might have resigned his seat to avoid any questions about cronyism, if federal infrastructure money is forthcoming for the stadium project.

Would Argo fans really want BMO as their home field? It kinda makes Hamilton's Tim Horton Field look like a palace by comparison. I think Argo fans might prefer a more first-class stadium experience in the suburbs with 30,000 seats, for example...rather than play at a rickety stadium at CNE?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    For all we know Mr. Braley is using the MLSE interest in the Argos, to leverage a sweeter stadium deal with Markham or Mississauga. He might have resigned his seat to avoid any questions about cronyism, if federal infrastructure money is forthcoming for the stadium project.
    i had considered that as well when i heard that he was resigning his seat. if gov't dollars are involved in any scenario (BMO or otherwise), this would be the honourable thing to do for optics' sake.

Would Argo fans really want BMO as their home field? It kinda makes Hamilton's Tim Horton Field look like a palace by comparison. I think Argo fans might prefer a more first-class stadium experience in the suburbs with 30,000 seats, for example...rather than play at a rickety stadium at CNE?
    i'll wait until i see whatever plans the Powers That Be come up with before i slag them. yes, BMO looks and feels like it's made out of mechano, but there will be significant changes before Canadian Football can play there so witholding pronouncements might be the wiser course...

...and to be frank, Tim Horton's Field is a palace compared to anything we have right now.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Point 4 - There will be lots of flaming going on once something official gets announced. Probably even some of those fans coming here to vent their anger. I suggest we take the high road. If anyone has suggestions on how to deal with them shoot me a PM!
    Regardless of what happens - and I am guessing that the Argos will be moving to BMO under the MLSE banner - there are going to be unhappy people. If they end up in Brampton, Pickering, Mississauga, Vaughn, it does not matter as no move will satisfy everyone. As far as BMO goes, TFC fans will just have to live with it. I am sure that they will end up with a superb soccer stadium so I don't know what they would be complaining about. BMO Field was never "their" stadium.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    like some handsome poster said awhile ago:

-this thing is way past the footsie stage. dotting i's and crossing t's now.
    -about 3 months ago it was implied that there'd be news within 6 months... looks like an off-season press conference.
    -the Missy/Vaughan/Markham gambit was ever just that, a gambit. it (seemingly) has worked since MLSE wouldn't allow their virtual stadium/venue monopoly to be infringed on.
    -the we should choose our words carefully from this point onward so as to avoid unnecessary flamewars and hard feelings with what will soon be our co-tenant's supporters. we should not rise to the bait of any (inevitable) trolling especially from covert new posters in threads re-hashing old issues which are best left in the past.

this was never my first choice, but after a time, i realized the financial signs all pointed directly at it. time to think of the positive aspects (and there are many) of having BMO as a home.

if the Senator is playing a bit of hardball, then as long as it doesn't sour the deal, i applaud him for it. MLSE has money, the Argos are poised to be a profitable entity (in light of the new TV deal and especially in a newly revamped stadium and new strategic partners) so i see nothing wrong with asking for a higher valuation for his asset than MLSE's first offer. (and if it's true that he asked for buy-back rights if MLSE bought an NFL team, then you've got to love him still trying to protect the franchise and league!)
    so... if Braley bought the team for nothing (or next to it)... and lost between $1M - $3M per year depending on reports... and made between $10M - $12M for the 100th Grey Cup... and will get somewhere between $8M (MLSE's alleged first offer) and $20M (Braley's alleged ask)... then someone actually profited, handsomely no less, on owning God's Own Football Club... suck it McCown! (can't wait to hear him kissing our ass once we are part of Canada's preeminent sporting company)
    I totally agree with your sentiments. Furthermore, I would be very happy to see Braley come out of this with a profit because he saved the Argos and because it would look in the future if the Argos had an owner in the not too distant past who made money on the team, in case they were sold again.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I totally agree with your sentiments. Furthermore, I would be very happy to see Braley come out of this with a profit because he saved the Argos and because it would look in the future if the Argos had an owner in the not too distant past who made money on the team, in case they were sold again.
    He didn't just save the Argos, he saved the CFL..... Braley deserves a profit and a dam statue in front of any stadium he helps bring about.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_davy View Post
    He didn't just save the Argos, he saved the CFL..... Braley deserves a profit and a dam statue in front of any stadium he helps bring about.
    Anyone here an artist? Theres an ugly statue in front of Gate 5 at the dome that needs some fixing up.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Many posters here reflect back to a situation a few years ago in which there was a TFC game at 1, and an Argo game at 4 or 7pm? On a Saturday.

One person we all know, at the time had seasons for both teams, and is just loves the Toronto part of any sports team. Went to the TFC game in his Argo gear because he didn't have the time or the space to bring his TFC stuff with him. He was assaulted, beer thrown at him, and forced out of sections by the hooligans there. I know not all TFC fans are like that, But it paints a pretty sad picture of a fanbase that has even posted on public forums their "plans" on what they will do to Argo fans entering "their" stadium should the Argos actually move there
    That's pathetic, especially since BMO Field isn't even owned by TFC Or MLSE.

I'd prefer a new stadium in Richmond Hill, Vaughan or Markham but most fans here in this Poll seem to prefer BMO Field:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...dium-Locations

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Theres an ugly statue in front of Gate 5 at the dome that needs some fixing up.....
    That statue needs this type of treatment:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Careful now that's not what he said. He said that it had been months since they had gotten an unsolicited phone call about the Argonauts in regards to an On Field / Football question - so not about the business, attendance, stadium... side of things.
    For the last 2 years, McCown has on many occasion said, that he is NOT talking about the Argos or the CFL on his show, he was peeved, that he CFL and the Argos signed a exclusive deal with TSN radio. He goes on and on, saying don't bother bring up the Argos. I called the open line once to talk Argos and the producer laughed and said, I don't think Bob wants to talk about the Argos today and hung up. Then of course after setting the environment for people to feel uncomfortable to phone up and talk about the Argos, he then spouts off, that no one ever wants to talk about the Argos. He is also peeved that his buddies had to sell the team after not getting the revenue sharing deal they wanted. Then on top of that, the new Argo owner did not offer to put Bob on the 100 Grey Cup committee that he has been on for the last 2 Grey cup in T.O. So now that he was not asked to be on the GC committee last year, he is now launching his big investigation about the 10 Million, that the Goverment gave to the GC committee to help celebrate this great Canadian institution on its 100 year. Will Bob also now investigate the 1 million. The Raptors/NBA got to host the NBA all star game in T.O. Everyone should be able to see right through Mr McC own and his personal vendetta

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That statue needs this type of treatment:
    I can't think of a finer ending for it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I can't think of a finer ending for it.
    I like that pic too!

I was actually surprised that the Ticat fans hadn't dressed roger up at the East Final . With Ticat paraphenalia of course.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Many posters here reflect back to a situation a few years ago in which there was a TFC game at 1, and an Argo game at 4 or 7pm? On a Saturday.

One person we all know, at the time had seasons for both teams, and is just loves the Toronto part of any sports team. Went to the TFC game in his Argo gear because he didn't have the time or the space to bring his TFC stuff with him. He was assaulted, beer thrown at him, and forced out of sections by the hooligans there. I know not all TFC fans are like that, But it paints a pretty sad picture of a fanbase that has even posted on public forums their "plans" on what they will do to Argo fans entering "their" stadium should the Argos actually move there

I think it might be kinda fun to go to a TFC game, wearing Argo gear, with a few big Argo fans as company, and stomp the $h*t out of any so called soccer hooligans (read pansies) who would object to Argo fan presence. Sign me up if this venture could be planned. ;o)

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    If I was at a TFC game in Argo gear and got showered in piss beer I'd lose my mind. Security better step in before I got tossed in jail. I bet that the Argo fans that got showed in beer wasn't my buddy Finn who goes to TFC games. No one in their right mind would toss beer at a big mean ball headed Argo dude. I've seen Finn at his best and worst. We did buy him a T shirt one year that read, Caution Does Not Play Well With Others. haha.

This whole scene is why I want no part of BMO. I really hope Braley goes in another direction and stays away from Legoland.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Maybe MLSE could hold a Truth and Reconciliation meeting at BMO so we can all move forward peacefully.

Violence is the refuge of very small men no matter how big they are in physical stature.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Maybe MLSE could hold a Truth and Reconciliation meeting at BMO so we can all move forward peacefully.

Violence is the refuge of very small men no matter how big they are in physical stature.
    Amen, brother.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    If I was at a TFC game in Argo gear and got showered in piss beer I'd lose my mind. Security better step in before I got tossed in jail. I bet that the Argo fans that got showed in beer wasn't my buddy Finn who goes to TFC games. No one in their right mind would toss beer at a big mean ball headed Argo dude. I've seen Finn at his best and worst. We did buy him a T shirt one year that read, Caution Does Not Play Well With Others. haha.

This whole scene is why I want no part of BMO. I really hope Braley goes in another direction and stays away from Legoland.
    If the Argos move to BMO, which seems likely IMO, life will go on. Some of the soccer folk may talk a tough game right now but I am guessing that all will soon be forgotten once they see an improved stadium for their team. Then Argos fans will go to BMO when their team plays and TFC fans will do the same when their team plays and there will be little overlap between the two sets of fans.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post

Perhaps rightly so, but there's a difference between a pre-meditated attempt to bait Toronto FC fans as OV Argo describes versus the freedom to wear whatever the heck you want to a sporting event.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'd prefer a new stadium in Richmond Hill, Vaughan or Markham but most fans here in this Poll seem to prefer BMO Field:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...dium-Locations
    . Check your math on that poll brother. I count 15 people preferring bmo while 30 people would prefer something else.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    . Check your math on that poll brother. I count 15 people preferring bmo while 30 people would prefer something else.
    Fair enough :-)

I meant that it was the single most popular option. It looks like there must be a fair number of Argonauts fans in York Region as there are a sizable amount of votes for Vaughan, Richmond Hill & Markham.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I don't think that is necessary as I don't believe this type of thing is a rampant problem at BMO Field.

Agreed. I also agree with argofan87 that self defense and premeditated assault are two very different things. OV Argos post is quite stupid and not something to joke about, if it was intended to be a joke.