Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't have time to scroll through posts in this thread, so I'll simply post this link. Hopefully, it hasn't already appeared here.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Scott+S...?__federated=1

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    ^Mark Grimes apparently is a friend of the Argos

"Toronto councillor Mark Grimes was at Tuesday’s announcement and he prefaced his remarks by saying he thought he was going to be announcing a new home for the Argos, but that Tim Leiweke, the outgoing MLSE president, told him to “put that speech away.”

Grimes tried a different version of the same joke with MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum, telling him that he really hoped phase two of the BMO expansion would become a joint phase two-three. But there was still work to do on that, he said, turning to Tanenbaum on stage: “Right, Larry?”

Tanenbaum, with a tight smile and presumably unable to find a trap door he could pull, offered a tepid agreement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am guessing that it would take many millions of dollars - more than $20 million - to try to turn that York stadium into something resembling a suitable home for the Argos.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am guessing that it would take many millions of dollars - more than $20 million - to try to turn that York stadium into something resembling a suitable home for the Argos.
    The biggest issue in my opinion would be the sight lines because of the track. Unfortunately neither the York Stadium or BMO Field were designed for football and both would be accommodating, so which one can accommodate it better is the question?

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    BMO would be. Fans would be closer to the field (without a track around the field) and that is always better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    The biggest issue in my opinion would be the sight lines because of the track. Unfortunately neither the York Stadium or BMO Field were designed for football and both would be accommodating, so which one can accommodate it better is the question?
    Thanks for the Link.

It's a tough question because with the TTC Subway stop at York University and Highway 400 close by I think that York is the better location but I think that the Renovated BMO Field would be the better venue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    My fear with the Argos moving to BMO would be, once again, the schedule. With MLS Soccer, other Soccer tournaments, Rugby tounaments being played there, where would the Argos fit in? I could see them going on month long road trips similar to what happens now as a tenant at RC. I just don't see this team getting high ranking when it comes to dates. I do realize however, that BMO is the only sensable solution to the Argos stadium woes.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    My fear with the Argos moving to BMO would be, once again, the schedule. With MLS Soccer, other Soccer tournaments, Rugby tounaments being played there, where would the Argos fit in? I could see them going on month long road trips similar to what happens now as a tenant at RC. I just don't see this team getting high ranking when it comes to dates. I do realize however, that BMO is the only sensable solution to the Argos stadium woes.
    Your looking at about 25 dates at BMO Field to work around vs. 81 at Rogers Centre.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Agreed.
    Unless the team is purchased by MLSE, the Argos would again play second fiddle to an inferior team and league.
    Meaning, the concessions and likely other in stadium revenues would evaporate as well.
    That's why there has to be a plan B, might as well look at York to see how much it may cost to retrofit.
    Since it is a University it would be easier to access hopefully grants through various levels.
    I know more taxpayer dollars here!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    If the Argos/CFL are willing to contribute $20 million towards their stadium, the sharks at MLSE is the last place I'd give it to. That'd be like paying ransom money to ISIS so they won't behead an foreign aid worker. Don't reward your enemies.

$20M would be a nice down payment on the Argos own stadium, with the province or city guaranteeing a loan for the remaining amount, which would be paid back through a seat fees. Rider fans, for example, pay a $12 seat fee (they are contributing $40M towards their new stadium). If the Argos averaged 20,000 fans, a seat fee of that amount is $2.4M per season X 30 years = $72M in revenue to pay back the loan.

This is not revolutionary. The Bombers are paying back $90M over 40 years towards their city-backed stadium loan (SnowRouque please correct me.)

It might be possible to team up with a GTA community who would provide the land and infrastructure (similar to the proposed Mississauga football stadium). The Argos don't have to build a palace all at once. They could build the stadium in stages (a 12,500-seat grandstand on one side with a temporary grandstand on the other side, for example.)

The Argos could also turn over the naming rights and jersey sponsorship revenue towards the construction costs, much like how MLSE and Ticats did for their stadiums. That's another $20M or so, in revenues.

Many GTA communities desperately need new cultural and recreational facilities (like has been expressed in Mississauga). The federal gov't gives away billions each year for these community projects along with infrastructure improvements. The Argos need to be creative and vigilant in their pursuit of a new stadium to play in.

They shouldn't crawl into the snake pit. The Argos should stay as far away from Rogers/MLSE/Tanenbaum (who reportedly loves the Argos so much)/petulant sunglass-boy, as they can possibly get.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    If the Argos/CFL are willing to contribute $20 million towards their stadium, the sharks at MLSE is the last place I'd give it to. That'd be like paying ransom money to ISIS so they won't behead an foreign aid worker. Don't reward your enemies.
    Quite possibly the stupidest comparison I have ever read.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Quite possibly the stupidest comparison I have ever read.
    I would say it's a little extreme.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post

$20M would be a nice down payment on the Argos own stadium, with the province or city guaranteeing a loan for the remaining amount, which would be paid back through a seat fees. Rider fans, for example, pay a $12 seat fee (they are contributing $40M towards their new stadium). If the Argos averaged 20,000 fans, a seat fee of that amount is $2.4M per season X 30 years = $72M in revenue to pay back the loan.

This is not revolutionary. The Bombers are paying back $90M over 40 years towards their city-backed stadium loan (SnowRouque please correct me.)

It might be possible to team up with a GTA community who would provide the land and infrastructure (similar to the proposed Mississauga football stadium). The Argos don't have to build a palace all at once. They could build the stadium in stages (a 12,500-seat grandstand on one side with a temporary grandstand on the other side, for example.)

The Argos could also turn over the naming rights and jersey sponsorship revenue towards the construction costs, much like how MLSE and Ticats did for their stadiums. That's another $20M or so, in revenues.

Many GTA communities desperately need new cultural and recreational facilities (like has been expressed in Mississauga). The federal gov't gives away billions each year for these community projects along with infrastructure improvements. The Argos need to be creative and vigilant in their pursuit of a new stadium to play in.

They shouldn't crawl into the snake pit. The Argos should stay as far away from Rogers/MLSE/Tanenbaum (who reportedly loves the Argos so much)/petulant sunglass-boy, as they can possibly get.
    I agree. why invest that kind of scratch into a diveball stadium u will b a second class citizen in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    I agree. why invest that kind of scratch into a diveball stadium u will b a second class citizen in.
    I'm not a fan of the location or the stadium itself for BMO Field but I don't see any realistic alternative.

Hopefully the renovations will greatly improve the stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Dipping back in here briefly after some time away. I see Invader's "yeah but we can always have government build us a stadium" campaign continues apace.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Dipping back in here briefly after some time away. I see Invader's "yeah but we can always have government build us a stadium" campaign continues apace.
    How different is this than what happened with BMO?
    Also and here is the rub, if any Canadian institution and they seem to be disappearing quickly before our eyes, surely the Argos and the CFL a truly all Canadian league deserve it.
    I will allow my taxpayers share to go towards it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    How different is this than what happened with BMO?
    Also and here is the rub, if any Canadian institution and they seem to be disappearing quickly before our eyes, surely the Argos and the CFL a truly all Canadian league deserve it.
    I will allow my taxpayers share to go towards it.
    Good luck finding money for a $100+ million stadium. Harper doesn't want to contribute to pro sports stadiums, Ford whined about the current BMO funding, and Wynne is dealing with a huge deficit.

It's possible Harper and Ford will both be out of office a year from now, but that wouldn't guarantee anything, and it may be too late anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Good luck finding money for a $100+ million stadium. Harper doesn't want to contribute to pro sports stadiums, Ford whined about the current BMO funding, and Wynne is dealing with a huge deficit.

It's possible Harper and Ford will both be out of office a year from now, but that wouldn't guarantee anything, and it may be too late anyway.

That's why if its tied in to the York U, just like the U of Manitoba and the Bombers team up, there are supposed funds available from various levels from what I understand.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    That's why if its tied in to the York U, just like the U of Manitoba and the Bombers team up, there are supposed funds available from various levels from what I understand.
    Ontario is not Manitoba or B.C. though. There is simply not hundreds of millions or even tens of millions of taxpayer dollars that will be spent on a CFL stadium in the GTA, no matter how deserving some may feel that the Argos would be of such a handout. It really is BMO Field or bust.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    When the York Pan Am Stadium project started the Argos stadium situation was already known. Why were the Argos not included from day one if it makes so much sense for them to be there?