Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Rich Stubler Fired in BC

Wonder if we could see him back in Toronto in some capacity?

Stubler Canned
    Last edited by Deerkeeper; 12-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I bet he'll end up in WPG with O'Shea.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    that. book it.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    100% Agree with that!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Many B.C. fans will be rejoicing over this move as well as they were very unhappy with Stubler after losing in the West semi-final when Darian Durant ran all over their defence in the fourth quarter. Even one of the veterans was questioning Stubler's schemes after that game. I too expect that Stubler will resurface in Winnipeg as I don't think that he is any kind of a fit in Toronto at this time.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 12-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    I am starting to feel relieved that Winnipeg is back in the Western Division.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I wonder if Benevides will take over the DC ..... They now have to find both OC and DC..... As if there aren't already enough job opportunities in the CFL coaching ranks. Major carousel this year ... Players and coaches.

Is Stublers defence similar to Rick Campbell's philosophy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Contrary to the small slew of previous posters, I doubt that Stubler will be hired by O'Shea.

Of course I could be wrong about this: on the one hand a very experienced CFL DC has just been fired and is presumably available unless retiring; on the other hand, I noted O'Shea's recent, virtually instantaneous, disavowal when asked if he was necessarily hunting for experienced staffers.

Further, at some point the recycling process must conclude, and old worn-down parts replaced by new components.

I guess it really boils down to the O'Shea comfort level (*) with relying upon the Stubler Defence (TM) in 2014. Horses for courses, and all that, but some say that this defence is certainly passé.

* cf. another of O'Shea's comments during his presser, specifying philosophy and approach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here is a fine Canadian Press article where Burke talks about his defensive philosophy in comparison to Chris Jones': http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...ordinator.html
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Contrary to the small slew of previous posters, I doubt that Stubler will be hired by O'Shea.

Of course I could be wrong about this: on the one hand a very experienced CFL DC has just been fired and is presumably available unless retiring; on the other hand, I noted O'Shea's recent, virtually instantaneous, disavowal when asked if he was necessarily hunting for experienced staffers.

Further, at some point the recycling process must conclude, and old worn-down parts replaced by new components.

I guess it really boils down to the O'Shea comfort level (*) with relying upon the Stubler Defence (TM) in 2014. Horses for courses, and all that, but some say that this defence is certainly passé.

* cf. another of O'Shea's comments during his presser, specifying philosophy and approach.
    Considering that O'Shea played under Stubler and won a Grey Cup with the Argos in '04 while Stubler was the DC, I think it would be an excellent hire for O'Shea. It would show everybody around the league that O'Shea is confident enough to hire a guy with more coaching experience who knows the league inside out. He's a rookie head coach, and Kyle Walters, the Bombers GM is a rookie GM. They could use a veteran coach like Stubler as a springboard for handling certain experiences and situations that can arise when you are the guy in charge. From what I recall, there was never a problem with Stubler and O'Shea so it's not as if they never got along as O'Shea was still a staple on that Argo D that Stubler controlled in '04.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 12-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Considering that O'Shea played under Stubler and won a Grey Cup with the Argos in '04 while Stubler was the DC, I think it would be an excellent hire for O'Shea. It would show everybody around the league that O'Shea is confident enough to hire a guy with more coaching experience who knows the league inside out. He's a rookie head coach, and Kyle Walters, the Bombers GM is a rookie GM. They could use a veteran coach like Stubler as a springboard for handling certain experiences and situations that can arise when you are the guy in charge. From what I recall, there was never a problem with Stubler and O'Shea so it's not as if they never got along as O'Shea was still a staple on that Argo D that Stubler controlled in '04.
    Yes, working together (as it were) previously does make Stubler easier to hire, even at this point, and he still may be perceived as a "safe hire". But who are the alternatives? That's the question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Many B.C. fans will be rejoicing over this move as well as they were very unhappy with Stubler after losing in the West semi-final when Darian Durant ran all over their defence in the fourth quarter. Even one of the veterans was questioning Stubler's schemes after that game. I too expect that Stubler will resurface in Winnipeg as I don't think that he is any kind of a fit in Toronto at this time.
    If any fans should have been totally upset wit the way the defence folded in the playoffs, it's us.
    That's way I still cannot understand that move by the Esks in hiring Jones.
    Like some of us have said, good riddance to him and that horrible scheme all year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    If any fans should have been totally upset wit the way the defence folded in the playoffs, it's us.
    That's way I still cannot understand that move by the Esks in hiring Jones.
    Like some of us have said, good riddance to him and that horrible scheme all year.
    Guy's got a good track record, and I didn't hear anyone complaining much about the D at the end of 2012. Who knows whether he'll be a successful head coach, but a lot of the criticism he took for 2013 was fans being just a bit too bi-polar.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Guy's got a good track record, and I didn't hear anyone complaining much about the D at the end of 2012. Who knows whether he'll be a successful head coach, but a lot of the criticism he took for 2013 was fans being just a bit too bi-polar.
    True
    Jones did a great job in 2012 and was well recognized and praised for his efforts, 2013 totally different story, major defensive turnover, poor recruiting (of which Jones was directly responsible) and at times bizarre defensive schemes (also his responsibility) plagued the team all season for which he received heavy criticism all based on fact!!
    That's the business of pro sports, hero one season, zero the next, opinions simply based on tangible results.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    True
    Jones did a great job in 2012 and was well recognized and praised for his efforts, 2013 totally different story, major defensive turnover, poor recruiting (of which Jones was directly responsible) and at times bizarre defensive schemes (also his responsibility) plagued the team all season for which he received heavy criticism all based on fact!!
    That's the business of pro sports, hero one season, zero the next, opinions simply based on tangible results.
    I am one that didn't like his scheme to begin with, including in 2012. Really there were holes and I recall one of the reasons that Ricky Foley left was the wacky drop back into coverage nonsense. It was the offense that won us the Grey Cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I am one that didn't like his scheme to begin with, including in 2012. Really there were holes and I recall one of the reasons that Ricky Foley left was the wacky drop back into coverage nonsense. It was the offense that won us the Grey Cup.
    To be fair, the defence shut down Cornish, Glenn and the Calgary O in the Grey Cup so that truly was a team effort.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    From early indications and history, thankfully Tim Burke will employ a traditional defensive front.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    From early indications and history, thankfully Tim Burke will employ a traditional defensive front.
    This will be a welcomed change that's for sure, maybe we will actually see some QB sacks!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    This will be a welcomed change that's for sure, maybe we will actually see some QB sacks!!
    We had 4 to Hamilton's none in the EF. How did that work out for us?

Those type of stats mean absolutely nothing. I believe the Argos were at the top of the league in interceptions this year...another stat that gets overblown. As I have said, the defence didn't have a great year in 2013, but retirements of Carroll and Younger as well as Horne thinking he was worth way more money than he was getting (bringing with him a bad attitude when he finally showed up) had a lot to do with the issues the team had on defence. I think it resulted in a lot less blitzing and more zone coverage this season which clearly is not the type of D that Jones likes to play. They may have found some good players in the secondary, but the inexperienced group (for the most part) really struggled at times this year. I believe Jones would have turned them around if he stayed on for 2014.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    We had 4 to Hamilton's none in the EF. How did that work out for us?

Those type of stats mean absolutely nothing. I believe the Argos were at the top of the league in interceptions this year...another stat that gets overblown. As I have said, the defence didn't have a great year in 2013, but retirements of Carroll and Younger as well as Horne thinking he was worth way more money than he was getting (bringing with him a bad attitude when he finally showed up) had a lot to do with the issues the team had on defence. I think it resulted in a lot less blitzing and more zone coverage this season which clearly is not the type of D that Jones likes to play. They may have found some good players in the secondary, but the inexperienced group (for the most part) really struggled at times this year. I believe Jones would have turned them around if he stayed on for 2014.
    AV I agree with everything you said with the exception of your statement regarding interceptions being an overblown stat. Teams that win the turnover battle win most of the time. I keep reading about how the Argos and Jones erred by "Blowing up the defence" from 2012. It was out of the teams control about Armstead, Kuale and Foley wanting to play for a team that employed a scheme that suited him better in addition to the situations of the players you listed. I really do feel Jones earned a HC opportunity after his years of service in the league.