Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Jon Cornish wins Lou Marsh

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=438589

Congrats, it is well deserved!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    A great honour, and definitely the right choice this year IMO. Raonic had a good but not great year, and no one else seems particularly worthy of the award.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Congratulations to Jon Cornish. Very much deserved. It is rather distressing - however - to read all the pathetic comments in the comments from the peanut gallery section on that TSN article. Why can't people just appreciate it?

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    And who said it wouldn't happen? Funny how sportsnet.ca didn't even include Cornish in the debate.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

New Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    They mentioned him in the discussion on Friday's Prime Time Sports, which is sort of sportsnet.ca. Sure, one of the heads compared it to giving the award to the AHL scoring leader, but he was in the conversation. They went on to talk about the Red Blacks a bit after that, surprisingly with minimal condescension.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's a pleasant surprise. I didn't think Cornish had a chance to win it unless the Stamps won the Cup, at least were in it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jon Cornish winning the Lou Marsh Trophy makes Jon think of the Aretha Franklin song:
    "R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    Find out what it means to me" (and the CFL)

No doubt Rogers has already sent out an order that this is another case for the league-that-shall-never-be-named.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm surprised, if not shocked or stunned ! But congrats Jon and well desereved. Maybe the CFL and Canadian football is starting to gain back some recognition and respect in it's own country !!!

As for the dweebs and wannabes who are going to complain about a CFL player winning the award - shove it up your pie holes, you pathetic ignoramuses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    That's a pleasant surprise. I didn't think Cornish had a chance to win it unless the Stamps won the Cup, at least were in it.
    I thought the same, Argolio. I am very pleased to see him win this award and he is most deserving of it. Chris Zelkovich has a supportive column about Cornish: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...200258273.html
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 12-09-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well deserved all the way, great to see a CFL player win this award!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Amazingly, he was selected by the very same journalists whom so many posters on CFL forums have utter contempt for. Cue the blind squirrel reference, I guess . . .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Amazingly, he was selected by the very same journalists whom so many posters on CFL forums have utter contempt for. Cue the blind squirrel reference, I guess . . .
    Paul, I understand why you have the backs of a lot of the jounalists, but let's be honest here. Steve Simmons admitted to voting for Cornish, but then went on to say that the competition was slim, and found it difficult to vote for a player that plays in a "tier 2" league (he said this both on OTR and Richards morning show). Fact is, many of these journalists you mention feel the same way, and had the NHL not missed half a season last year, I am pretty sure that Cornish would not have received their votes.

Guys like Simmons have a lot of infuence to what the general sports followers believe. Everyone at work knows how much of a pro CFL person I am, and they were quick to say the exact same thing Simmons said, in referencing the CFL as a tier 2 league and in disbelief that A CFL player can win such an award.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 12-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Paul, I understand why you have the backs of a lot of the jounalists, but let's be honest here. Steve Simmons admitted to voting for Cornish, but then went on to say that the competition was slim, and found it difficult to vote for a player that plays in a "tier 2" league (he said this both on OTR and Richards morning show). Fact is, many of these journalists you mention feel the same way, and had the NHL not missed half a season last year, I am pretty sure that Cornish would not have received their votes.

Guys like Simmons have a lot of infuence to what the general sports followers believe. Everyone at work knows how much of a pro CFL person I am, and they were quick to say the exact same thing Simmons said, in referencing the CFL as a tier 2 league and in disbelief that A CFL player can win such an award.
    That's perfectly valid criticism of Simmons et al. What isn't valid is the "all journalists are hacks/idiots/NFL lovers" drivel that has become endemic on these forums.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's perfectly valid criticism of Simmons et al. What isn't valid is the "all journalists are hacks/idiots/NFL lovers" drivel that has become endemic on these forums.
    I see where you're coming from. Personally, I don't see too many of the writers as being NFL lovers, but it can't be argued that guys like Zicarelli find out one little tidbit at the beginning of a season, and basically rehash the same thing in virtually every article he writes. For example, in every single article he wrote when describing the Argos defence, he would mention that the Argos play a press man coverage. I honestly don't think he has any idea what that is. Anyone that saw tha Argos this year that has a clue, knows that the team did not blitz nearly as much as in 2012. That is likely because of a lack of confidence in the secondary, and the Argos actually played a lot of zone defence this year. That is just an example. I'm sure there is a lot more similar things in his articles about the rest of the team too. So, yeah...IMO at least HE is a hack.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Some people were criticizing the fact that he has a second job at a bank.

I think he said in an interview that something like 70% of NFLers go bankrupt within 2 years of finishing their career.

Turns out it's actually around 78%

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ly-go-bankrupt

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have heard just about every excuse there is why Cornish shouldn't win. The CFL is semi pro, Cornish didn't compete with the world's best etc.. All the points they use are pretty laughable.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level

And just who said "ALL" journalists are hacks, etc. - on this forum - please provide a quote or name the villain here if you can?

Point is - IMO - a LOT of them are clueless hacks, dweebs, wannabes or otherwise useless tools and they demonstrate it often when they get to run their big ignorant yaps in newspapers or other media - and that is often clear in their limited views or ignorance of the CFL. If you want to defend these morons and yutzes - the Simmons' or Naylor's, etc. out there - in some sort of show of brotherly love, then knock yourself out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And just who said "ALL" journalists are hacks, etc. - on this forum - please provide a quote or name the villain here if you can?

Point is - IMO - a LOT of them are clueless hacks, dweebs, wannabes or otherwise useless tools and they demonstrate it often when they get to run their big ignorant yaps in newspapers or other media - and that is often clear in their limited views or ignorance of the CFL. If you want to defend these morons and yutzes - the Simmons' or Naylor's, etc. out there - in some sort of show of brotherly love, then knock yourself out.
    I think that's a little harsh. I understand Paul's point of view as many of us on this forum get defensive anytime there is something critical (rightful or not) written about the CFL. I stand by what I say about the likes of Zicarelli and Cox, but not all writers are like that. Chris Zelkovich and Dan Ralph are very good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Some of the comments at the end of the articles about Cornish's Lou Marsh win are quite interesting in how negative they are towards the CFL. Why do so many Canadians have so much hate for the Canadian Football League? It is like these Canadians are threatened by the league for some reason. As Canadians, we are brought up with this notion that we are "inferior" and then we have a pro sports league that operates only within Canada and produces an entertaining and skillful product and this somehow offends people to the point that they must spew venom about our great league. Cornish winning the Lou Marsh seems to be opening up some wounds for a number of Canadians.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Some of the comments at the end of the articles about Cornish's Lou Marsh win are quite interesting in how negative they are towards the CFL. Why do so many Canadians have so much hate for the Canadian Football League? It is like these Canadians are threatened by the league for some reason. As Canadians, we are brought up with this notion that we are "inferior" and then we have a pro sports league that operates only within Canada and produces an entertaining and skillful product and this somehow offends people to the point that they must spew venom about our great league. Cornish winning the Lou Marsh seems to be opening up some wounds for a number of Canadians.
    That is certainly a strange isn't it? There is a certain kind of Canadian who likes nothing more than to bash on our own. They have to "make it" in the States to be considered good.

I also wonder if the NFL played 3 down football, and the CFL played 4 down football if the same Canadians would be all over the 4 downs as "inferior"? Likely yes in my view.

Also why can't people enjoy watching both leagues? It doesn't have to be one over the other.