Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Mike Bradwell or Tonye-Tonye disappear

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It sounds from the live tsn.ca stream that Jason Pottinger is now a RedBlack as is, somewhat surprisingly, Marwan Hage. Eric Fraser and Rory Kohlert are a couple of other picks. One of OV's favourites, Justin Capicciotti, was also picked by Ottawa.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 12-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    we were always going to be losing 3 good players today.

good for the REDBLACKS... sucky for us.

Thanks to all 3 for their efforts in Double Blue.

onwards and upwards.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Really? I hate to see anyone leave and Jason has been great in the community which is why I think many are surprised but in football terms I must say it's not that surprising. We have CDN depth at LB so we would have to expose someone. Age and salary may have been the biggest factor. Perhaps they have been in contact with Greenwood's agent.

Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    we were always going to be losing 3 good players today.

good for the REDBLACKS... sucky for us.

Thanks to all 3 for their efforts in Double Blue.

onwards and upwards.
    Yes, there was no avoiding this. It is sad to see Williams and especially Eppele and Pottinger go but we were going to lose good players regardless. At least now we can end all of the speculation.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Really? I hate to see anyone leave and Jason has been great in the community which is why I think many are surprised but in football terms I must say it's not that surprising. We have CDN depth at LB so we would have to expose someone. Age and salary may have been the biggest factor. Perhaps they have been in contact with Greenwood's agent.
    Absolutely shocked the #Argos would leave Jason Pottinger unprotected. #CFL
    — Don Landry (@CFLLandry) December 16, 2013
    Not sure why Don is so shocked either. I figured that one of Pottinger, Yurichuk and Black would be lost in addition to one of Eppele and Watt. Pottinger has had injury issues, is getting a little older in football terms and has not been a starter the last two years for Toronto so it really should not be that big of a surprise that he is now a RedBlack.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Not sure why Don is so shocked either. I figured that one of Pottinger, Yurichuk and Black would be lost in addition to one of Eppele and Watt. Pottinger has had injury issues, is getting a little older in football terms and has not been a starter the last two years for Toronto so it really should not be that big of a surprise that he is now a RedBlack.
    obviously we'd rather have Pottsie on our team than not... but the reasons you listed were certainly the determining factors and ought to lessen the blow for us all.

it'd be great if Gabe were right about Greenwood... but i am beginning to despair of ever seeing him here.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Virtually no surprise at all.
    I don't believe that the Argos suffered inordinately from the expansion draft.
    Best of luck to Ottawa. At this point it certainly appears that they have a capable GM and HC combination to shape gridiron fortune.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Some very interesting and curious picks by Ottawa; seems a decent blend of experience and young guys though.

Glenn and DeMarco I just don't get at QB - other than seeing a big need for a real experienced guy at QB in Glenn - who IMO is just mediocre now and not a CFL calibre starter; and DeMarco certainly is not - not even a decent back-up IMO from what i saw of him with BC; maybe the RedBlacks can make a FA play for Collaros, but the Bombers should be throwing money there too.

Ottawa got some good young NI talent and a few experienced guys there too - but still some real question marks IMO - Verdone from the Als ??? - surely they could have got an O-Lineman there as the Als have a large stockpile; and hard to believe the Stamps would have protected Matt Walter, so Ottawa was not interested (or maybe he's a FA?)???; drafted 2 more fullback/H-back types in Delahunt and Lavoie (both very good players IMO) to go along with the TE they drafted in the Canadian amateur draft last spring ? - not sure they will make much real use out of any of these guys, but maybe they will play a real fullback or gasp, a true tight end ??? - now that would make me think non- good ole boy? ;o)

Not sure what to make of most of their import selections - don't see much there at all but maybe there is a star or two waiting to emerge from those guys.

How could anybody be shocked the Argos would not protect Pottinger ? - who barely played on D last year and with them having younger NI MLBs who can play special teams if that's all they are there for ? Maybe Pottinger starts at MLB for Ottawa and provides leadership and experience, but I doubt he ends up a starter there. Eppele might become a starter for Ottawa, but I wouldn't bet on that either as they got some other experienced NI interior O-linemen in Hage, Krauschnik and Deane.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I hate -- HATE -- to lose a great guy and good player like Pottinger, but we have a younger version of him in Yurichuk and are deep in NI LBs with Tonye-Tonye and Hood still around. Pott was on my second-round protected list but I can't quarrel with keeping Yurichuk and Lee over him (which is likely what happened). I'm glad we didn't lose our best young NIs or our long snapper, and lost only one of our starters. Hamilton has a much bigger hole to fill with Hage departing than we do with Eppele, IMO.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    An Argo fan just mentioned they would trade away Owens for Eppele and Pottinger. I hope that was a just a joke. I doubt we will want to get them back. The draft has went pretty smoothly IMO, no real surpises or huge holes to fill.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well it's sad to see us lose anyone but everyone had to. I like Ottawa's qb picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    All in all, the Argos did come out of the draft not too badly. Pottinger will be 31 not year and was not likely going to play regularly, except in the case of injury, while Williams was a backup in a position where we have some depth. Eppele was probably the biggest loss but never reached his potential here.
    Some of the Rider selections were surprising, especially among the imports. I would have gambled on a QB other than DeMarco as he has a long development path to follow to become a first stringer, which is a big if in itself. I can't believe that there weren't better import WRs than Miles and Mitchell, and that Ottawa will rue not picking up at least one and preferably two skilled experienced receivers to throw to and to advise the young guys. Now they will have to spend big bucks in free agency if they want to fill this hole.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    They also signed 2 QB's from colleges a few days ago, so they have 4 QB's now.
    I'm upset about Eppele, not so much about the other 2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa did alright in the third round IMO especially compared to the Renegades draft. Three proven starters in Hage, Pottinger and Fraser even if they might be a step slower. Surprised that Pottinger would still be available after 12 players were protected unless Barker had a side deal with Desjardins. Marcel stated that Pottinger could start for them and also mentioned that Eppele would be a starter on the OLine. Jonathan Williams will probably be in their DL rotation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Well it's sad to see us lose anyone but everyone had to. I like Ottawa's qb picks.
    I bet Ottawa will try to sign some of the FA QB's lurking like Collaros and Willy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Glenn and DeMarco I just don't get at QB - other than seeing a big need for a real experienced guy at QB in Glenn - who IMO is just mediocre now and not a CFL calibre starter; and DeMarco certainly is not - not even a decent back-up IMO from what i saw of him with BC; maybe the RedBlacks can make a FA play for Collaros, but the Bombers should be throwing money there too.
    The RedBlacks GM said that "character" would be a determining factor in their draft selections, getting guys like Pottinger, M. Hage and K. Glenn, who are all team leaders with stirling reputations in their communities.

DeMarco will be a good fit as a backup to Glenn, who will likely get the lion's share of snaps this year. Ottawa had to pick somebody from B.C. and DeMarco is under contract for about $50k next season, which has some attraction. DeMarco is smart as a whip, earning his MBA and working as a financial advisor in the off season. He's had two years training in the Lions QB factory and should have learned something. DeMarco probably won't be complaining about playing time, creating QB controversies or be pining for a NFL tryout.

So while drafting DeMarco might seem an odd pick on some levels, everyone can use some free investment advice from time to time!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I bet Ottawa will try to sign some of the FA QB's lurking like Collaros and Willy.
    Maybe, but I doubt they'd pay starter money, or at least prime starter money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wonder if a guy like Hage will report or perhaps retire, expect several trades to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with OV's post - really kinda blah about their QB selection. Glenn is past his "best before" date, and DeMarco didn't really overwhelm outside of the home media here in BC that pandered him to be something he's not (check his stats).

Ottawa got some good players, but nothing to make me go "OMG"......

Sorry to see the three Argos go, but so so so sooooooo glad that players like Laing, Tonye Tonye, and Gabriel are still going to be in double blue next season.

Should be interesting to see the free agents re-upping with their teams between now and December 31.