Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

FAs the Argos could/should go after

What CFL free agents would you like to see the Argos try to sign and why; big load of very good established players on this list; and assume the Argos don't lose any of their current FAs. Of course $$$s are a factor, but outside of a league best QB, which Argos aleady have, there is no real breaking the bank factors in the CFL, IMO, compared to other big bucks sports leagues.

IMO:

- Henoc Muamba - young stud MLB, but might be pretty costly; cancel this if Cory Greenwood becomes free and shows-up.

- a DE - one of Alex Hall, Kenny Mainor, Cordaro Law or Keron Williams - to fill a big area of Argo need

- a DB - one of Fred Bennett or Joe Burnett - 2 of the very best secondary guys in the league IMO - most likely corners but so talented could play anywhere in the secondary

- Craig Butler - top notch defensive play-maker who can be play/switch at either OLB or safety; from Ontario

- D. Tsoumpas - best in league calibre OG - would be costly though

- Chad Simpson - very powerful RB; need there IF Kackert is deemed too injury prone or already damaged

IF i had to pick just one - very tough call; maybe Muamba, maybe Butler, but more likely one of Bennett or Burnett
    Last edited by OV Argo; 12-18-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Zach Collaros.

Offer him Jarious Jackson money, plus bonuses for starting. He knows Ricky will miss his annual 5 or 6 games due to injury. Zach may decide it would be better for his career in the long run to stay here instead of being a sitting duck on a hopeless team in Winnipeg.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Muamba/Greenwood for sure. Butler would also be nice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    As much as I appreciate a good DE...
    - a DB - one of Fred Bennett or Joe Burnett - 2 of the very best secondary guys in the league IMO - most likely corners but so talented could play anywhere in the secondary

The Argos should be able to scour the US for at least one good DE and, relative to DB, the DE can be successful in the CFL with less experience in our league. And the Argos' secondary must improve.

While I initially liked Rich's suggestion of trying to resign Collaros (not an absolute impossibility, although I doubt that the mere chance of playing some games is attractive to ZC), the presence of
    Trevor Harris leads me to think that may represent a waste of scarce dollars. Harris may be essentially equivalent, all things considered, to Collaros, rendering the latter redundant at this point. Although at 28, really it's now or never for Harris (assuming, that is, that chance allows him significant playing time).

Further, IIRC the Argos also have another, younger, prospect signed at QB. If #3 (current or near-term signing) is "the plan for the future", then IMHO, Harris is entirely adequate at #2 and spending significant dollars on Collaros is a waste of money that could be better applied to other needs.
    Last edited by Argo; 12-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Some of these players are highly unlikely but

LB Shea Emry
    DB Billy Parker
    LB Simoni Lawrence
    LB Henoc Muamba
    DB Jovon Johnson - could replace Owens as KR, I remember him getting burned quite a lot
    DB/LB Craig Butler
    OL Tsoumpas
    DT Ted Laurent
    DE Law/Williams/Hall

FYI Burnett re-signed with EDM
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think Barker like digging under rocks to uncover the hidden talent that he finds. He's not so big on grabbing other teams free agents but perhaps he could fill some holes this way. Not sure Collaros is the second coming of Doug Flutie like some like to think. Rays got plenty in the tank. He may not get hit next year and stay very healthy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    While I initially liked Rich's suggestion of trying to resign Collaros (not an absolute impossibility, although I doubt that the mere chance of playing some games is attractive to ZC), the presence of Trevor Harris leads me to think that may represent a waste of scarce dollars. Harris may be essentially equivalent, all things considered, to Collaros, rendering the latter redundant at this point. Although at 28, really it's now or never for Harris (assuming, that is, that chance allows him significant playing time).

Further, IIRC the Argos also have another, younger, prospect signed at QB. If #3 (current or near-term signing) is "the plan for the future", then IMHO, Harris is entirely adequate at #2 and spending significant dollars on Collaros is a waste of money that could be better applied to other needs.
    The Argos have two other QBs in Josh Portis and Mitchell Gale. I seem to recall that at least one or two people on here believe that Portis has the most potential of all of the backups.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Zach Collaros.

Zach may decide it would be better for his career in the long run to stay here instead of being a sitting duck on a hopeless team in Winnipeg.
    Have you ever read Milton?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Muamba worked out for an NFL team a week or two ago. Great player to sign if he's available.

Not seeing the appeal of Fred Bennett. To me he's just another guy at best.

No interest in Jovon Johnson.

Too bad Burnett is now off the board. Would have been worth a look.

The Riders apparently have some serious cap issues, so Butler among others could hit the open market.

I think the ship has sailed on Collaros, but stranger things have happened.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Muamba-Butler-Mainor and Williams would all be high on my list, Emry would look good in the Double Blue, each would be costly but would fast track the defensive rebuild.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Milton Berle? - no, he lost his paradise ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Some of these players are highly unlikely but

LB Shea Emry
    DB Billy Parker
    LB Simoni Lawrence
    LB Henoc Muamba
    DB Jovon Johnson - could replace Owens as KR, I remember him getting burned quite a lot
    DB/LB Craig Butler
    OL Tsoumpas
    DT Ted Laurent
    DE Law/Williams/Hall

FYI Burnett re-signed with EDM
    Too bad about Burnett - oh well.

Jovon Johnson was a total bust as a returner for the Bombers this year IMO - showed no big return ability and even had trouble tracking punts; I could not figure out for the life of me why they had him in there over the explosive Washington, other than maybe fumble concerns (which Owens certainly has). Still like Johnson as a very good vet DB though, but IMO Bennett is better probably.

Laurent gunning for some NFL looks - he is a good CFL DT, but the Argos could be fine if Mitchell and Laing are there to man the position.

Muamba is better than Emry IMO; Simoni Lawrence ??? Billy Parker and that other Als D-Half sure get a lot of CFL recognition, but IMO they are both quite ordinary and often burnt like toast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    "Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa will probably have the inside track on some of those Calgary FA's. Especially the ones on the defensive side of the ball. Rick Campbell was well liked and Ottawa will have some dollars to spend.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Ottawa will probably have the inside track on some of those Calgary FA's. Especially the ones on the defensive side of the ball. Rick Campbell was well liked and Ottawa will have some dollars to spend.
    Since there are no big contracts among their drafted players Ottawa has plenty of money to spend on free agents, plus they can attract players like Collaros with the argument that he would have a good chance of becoming #1 quickly with them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    plus they can attract players like Collaros with the argument that he would have a good chance of becoming #1 quickly with them.
    Can they really make this argument to Collaros? Are they going to give him more money than Glenn? I don't think so. Isn't there an excellent chance that Glenn will be the starter for Ottawa's first game?

And if they really wanted to make a play for Collaros, they wouldn't have drafted Demarco. That was one of two valuable NI's (Shawn Gore?) on BC that Ottawa passed up to take DeMarco, they must really like the guy. And if you look at the numbers, Collaros did not play all that much better than DeMarco.

I see no chance Collaros goes to Ottawa now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Can they really make this argument to Collaros? Are they going to give him more money than Glenn? I don't think so. Isn't there an excellent chance that Glenn will be the starter for Ottawa's first game?

And if they really wanted to make a play for Collaros, they wouldn't have drafted Demarco. That was one of two valuable NI's (Shawn Gore?) on BC that Ottawa passed up to take DeMarco, they must really like the guy. And if you look at the numbers, Collaros did not play all that much better than DeMarco.

I see no chance Collaros goes to Ottawa now.
    I agree, Rich, that Ottawa is unlikely to be a landing spot for Collaros. I wasn't as impressed with Demarco as I was with Collaros but he did have that one comeback win over Saskatchewan in his first start and played decently in a couple of other games. Clearly, the RedBlacks are hanging their hats on Glenn and Demarco as their QBs. If things don't work out in the NFL, I suspect that the landing spot for Collaros will be Winnipeg if he does not re-sign with the Argos which I am not holding out a lot of hope for.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I agree, Rich, that Ottawa is unlikely to be a landing spot for Collaros. I wasn't as impressed with Demarco as I was with Collaros but he did have that one comeback win over Saskatchewan in his first start and played decently in a couple of other games. Clearly, the RedBlacks are hanging their hats on Glenn and Demarco as their QBs. If things don't work out in the NFL, I suspect that the landing spot for Collaros will be Winnipeg if he does not re-sign with the Argos which I am not holding out a lot of hope for.
    Collaros would be well-advised to sign - sooner rather than later - with the Bombers as the putative starter (he'd still have to show better than Max Hall - a QB that I like, BTW - at training camp and the couple of exhibition games). The money would be good, the opportunity better. Collaros' frame and particular skill set do not, it seems to me, match those of the typical NFL QB; in any case he'd be better equipped to take his shot at the NFL after starting in our great league for at least a couple of seasons.
    Last edited by Argo; 12-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Demarco's play certainly trailed off, but apparently he has a strong arm and can move. At only 5' 11" (not tall for today's professional athlete), talent, dedication, and playing time may allow him to develop into a reasonable facsimile of the Magical Flutie.
    I read somewhere that Demarco has also completed an engineering degree (good stuff) and an MBA. Intellect is an important attribute for a QB.
    Last edited by Argo; 12-20-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I suspect that the landing spot for Collaros will be Winnipeg if he does not re-sign with the Argos which I am not holding out a lot of hope for.
    The likelihood of Collaros re-signing with the Argos is likely (gradually) ever-increasing !
    (And no one would be terribly shocked if Ray missed another block of games in 2014 due to injury.)
    Last edited by Argo; 12-20-2013 at 06:01 PM.