Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    First Collaros was the second coming of Flutie, and now Demarco? Forgive me for waiting to see it on the field. I like both guys' potential but comparing them to Flutie is like comparing someone to Russ Jackson or Warren Moon -- those types come along about once every 20 years if we're lucky.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    And no one would be terribly shocked if Ray missed another block of games in 2014 due to injury.
    I guess you haven't been reading this board very much.

I get my head bitten off around here whenever I suggest Ricky seems to be becoming more brittle with age. Nobody else seems to think there's a pattern with his injury stints. Nobody else seems to think he's less able to avoid big hits than he used to be.

In fact the majority of the people on this board seem to agree that Ricky will likely be our QB for 4 or 5 more years, which to me is absolutely ludicrous. There's no way that slow, bony body of his is gonna withstand more than a couple more seasons of punishment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Henoc Muamba would be my first choice to sign as an Argo free agent. As a star NI MLB, he would an extremely valuable addition to the team. Alex Hall would be my second choice as a free agent signing as he would obviously greatly increase QB pressure and sacks by the defensive line. The more likely scenario is that Barker will do little to no signings of free agents and pursue new additions through tryout camps to understandably keep costs down. While he has good success doing this, I think it becomes harder to keep building a top tier team this way if you keep losing more quality free agents each year than you sign.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think you have to go after a couple of difference makers, like Muamba or Hall. Hard to find those guys in FA tryouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I think you have to go after a couple of difference makers, like Muamba or Hall. Hard to find those guys in FA tryouts.
    I don't think either of these guys are coming to the Argos. They will be signed by their teams .... Unless they go south.

Muamba is being courted by the Patriots .... I guess if you have no fun in Winnipeg you may as well have no fun south of the border and be paid more.

http://ww2.canadafootballchat.com/attracting-interest/
    Last edited by Argocister; 12-22-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Henoc Muamba would be my first choice to sign as an Argo free agent. As a star NI MLB, he would an extremely valuable addition to the team. Alex Hall would be my second choice as a free agent signing as he would obviously greatly increase QB pressure and sacks by the defensive line. The more likely scenario is that Barker will do little to no signings of free agents and pursue new additions through tryout camps to understandably keep costs down. While he has good success doing this, I think it becomes harder to keep building a top tier team this way if you keep losing more quality free agents each year than you sign.
    I would argue that nobody knew Alex Hall a couple of years ago. Those types are out there and you have to beat the bushes to get them. I will say that a reason for signing Hall is that we already know that he would fit a Tim Burke defence. The Henoc Muamba types are more difficult to find though.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    IF that really is Barker's attitude - ignore proven CFL FAs because you think you can find better FAs from the States = not good enough / myopic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    IF that really is Barker's attitude - ignore proven CFL FAs because you think you can find better FAs from the States = not good enough / myopic.

Mine all sources of players - known FAs, new guys, draft smart, etc.

OOPPs - double post - sorry bout that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Time for Barker to rethink the no FA strategy as OV mentioned, you have to aggressively pursue at least a couple of these defensive free agents rather than roll the dice by adding unproven newcomers, like we did this past season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    First Collaros was the second coming of Flutie, and now Demarco? Forgive me for waiting to see it on the field. I like both guys' potential but comparing them to Flutie is like comparing someone to Russ Jackson or Warren Moon -- those types come along about once every 20 years if we're lucky.
    Collaros as "the second coming of Flutie": non sequitur in the context of this thread.
    Demarco as "the second coming of Flutie": the sequence of terms "playing time" (clearly not guaranteed), "may", and "reasonable facsimile" should not suggest this to the perceptive reader.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Collaros as "the second coming of Flutie": non sequitur in the context of this thread.
    Demarco as "the second coming of Flutie": the sequence of terms "playing time" (clearly not guaranteed), "may", and "reasonable facsimile" should not suggest this to the perceptive reader.
    How would you define "reasonable facsimile"? Sure Demarco is short and somewhat mobile, but he'll have to show a hell of a lot more than that to be spoken of in the same breath as one of the top three or so QBs in CFL history. And whether or not it's relevant to this thread, the fact is that Collaros has also been compared to Flutie on this forum. Whatever disclaimers are added about playing time and "maybe," making such comparisons between these two QBs and Flutie at this stage of their careers makes about as much sense to me as suggesting some fourth-line rookie in the NHL might develop into a reasonable facsimile of Wayne Gretzky.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Time for Barker to rethink the no FA strategy as OV mentioned, you have to aggressively pursue at least a couple of these defensive free agents rather than roll the dice by adding unproven newcomers, like we did this past season.
    Rolling the dice was successful in 2012 while it proved to be less successful in 2013. I would agree with you that I'd prefer Barker to look at a few established vets while not abandoning his prior philosophy that has proven successful at times in the past.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Rolling the dice was successful in 2012 while it proved to be less successful in 2013. I would agree with you that I'd prefer Barker to look at a few established vets while not abandoning his prior philosophy that has proven successful at times in the past.
    The 2012 additions included guys like Isaac and McCune in which Jones was very familiar with from Calgary, last seasons additions were largely unproven in regards to the CFL.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    They also included unproven guys like Armstead, Ball, Watkins, Carroll and Horne who made contributions to the 2012 championship.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    They also included unproven guys like Armstead, Ball, Watkins, Carroll and Horne who made contributions to the 2012 championship.
    Well I guess we just chalk it up to a lousy recruiting job this past season and move on

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well I guess we just chalk it up to a lousy recruiting job this past season and move on
    Lack of continuity on the roster; believing you can easily replace solid and/or veteran players = cause for problems.

O looks good heading into next season; D is another matter - hopefully not a big new cast as starters; start with the key players ( retain Ball for example) and further develop some younger guys (like Laing, Horton, Gabriel, maybe Maybin), but competition/new additions needed - at DE and in the D-backfield; known proven free agents a route to look at - for example - adding the likes of Alex Hall and Fred Bennett could help solve some D issues.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Lack of continuity on the roster; believing you can easily replace solid and/or veteran players = cause for problems.

O looks good heading into next season; D is another matter - hopefully not a big new cast as starters; start with the key players ( retain Ball for example) and further develop some younger guys (like Laing, Horton, Gabriel, maybe Maybin), but competition/new additions needed - at DE and in the D-backfield; known proven free agents a route to look at - for example - adding the likes of Alex Hall and Fred Bennett could help solve some D issues.
    Totally agree OV, I think Barker needs to look at a couple of free agents this year to plug some holes on the D. They need to build a solid core (including free agents) and supplement with younger talent from their evaluation camps, otherwise we could be in for more of the same this season. I also really think Tim Burke will bring a welcomed change in philosophy for our D this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Totally agree OV, I think Barker needs to look at a couple of free agents this year to plug some holes on the D. They need to build a solid core (including free agents) and supplement with younger talent from their evaluation camps, otherwise we could be in for more of the same this season. I also really think Tim Burke will bring a welcomed change in philosophy for our D this season.
    I also agree. The odds that you can plug every hole with quality players from evaluation camps are pretty low. Although these camps can provide some talented personnel, this does not mean they will always be at the positions needing the biggest upgrades. Thats where the judicious signing of free agents can be so valuable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I also agree. The odds that you can plug every hole with quality players from evaluation camps are pretty low. Although these camps can provide some talented personnel, this does not mean they will always be at the positions needing the biggest upgrades. Thats where the judicious signing of free agents can be so valuable.
    Or you can overpay for players that might not be as good as they looked on their previous teams. All you have to look at are guys in the past like Eric Blount, Jabari Arthur, Joe Montford, Chris Bauman, Greg Carr and the list goes on. Some guys are suited to certain systems and to automatically assume they will have success on one team because they did on another might be a mistake.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    What would concern me would be the Argos continuing to decline in 2014. Barker and Milanovich need to kick it up a notch (or even, gasp, two notches). Recruiting and consistent play, in particular, need to see improvement.
    I do believe I'm actually pleased to see some turnover in the coaching staff, i.e., the odds are that the attendant pluses outweigh possible negatives.