Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Or you can overpay for players that might not be as good as they looked on their previous teams. All you have to look at are guys in the past like Eric Blount, Jabari Arthur, Joe Montford, Chris Bauman, Greg Carr and the list goes on. Some guys are suited to certain systems and to automatically assume they will have success on one team because they did on another might be a mistake.
    Conversely, a prime example: Adarius Bowman

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I guess you haven't been reading this board very much.

I get my head bitten off around here whenever I suggest Ricky seems to be becoming more brittle with age. Nobody else seems to think there's a pattern with his injury stints. Nobody else seems to think he's less able to avoid big hits than he used to be.

In fact the majority of the people on this board seem to agree that Ricky will likely be our QB for 4 or 5 more years, which to me is absolutely ludicrous. There's no way that slow, bony body of his is gonna withstand more than a couple more seasons of punishment.
    I suspect that you're correct. Meanwhile, Barker and Milanovich had better provide their franchise player with the very best offensive line that they can!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If I didn't know any better, I would think that the Argos went from 9-9 and a Grey Cup win to 6-12 and out of the playoffs this year after reading this thread. The 2013 season was not exactly a disaster. Yes, this team needs some improvements but many of the pieces are in place already. As for going after free agents from other teams, I have never subscribed to the theory of that being the best way to build a team. I am sure that if Barker can find a piece or two that way that fits the system and the salary cap that he will try to sign those players (as he did with Jason Barnes in 2012) or make a trade (as he did with Khalif Mitchell in 2013) but you win or lose in this league mostly on how well you draft Canadian talent and recruit American talent.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I suspect that you're correct. Meanwhile, Barker and Milanovich had better provide their franchise player with the very best offensive line that they can!

I really hope Jerriel King comes back - he was outstanding IMO at OT at times last season; add in Van Zeyl, Keeping, Holmes; plus maybe Sewell comes on strong and could start at OT; maybe vet Wayne Smith hangs in; and like to see what a healthy Kyle Koch could bring (very good starter at guard before in the CFL) - another vet if he is around too = Argos might have the makings of a very strong O-Line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Or you can overpay for players that might not be as good as they looked on their previous teams. All you have to look at are guys in the past like Eric Blount, Jabari Arthur, Joe Montford, Chris Bauman, Greg Carr and the list goes on. Some guys are suited to certain systems and to automatically assume they will have success on one team because they did on another might be a mistake.
    I agree AV. One name you forgot was Archie Amerson when he signed with the Argos and lasted only a few games. How many times in recent years has Hamilton been the "Big Winners" when it came to the FA market only to have dismal seasons? That changed last season when they went with new recruits for the most part.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Conversely, a prime example: Adarius Bowman
    Please explain to me how he has made Edmonton a contender.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Please explain to me how he has made Edmonton a contender.
    Bowman has been pretty good wherever he has played (SSK,WPG & EDM), it's just injuries got in the way of last season and early on this year. I don't think Bowman was a prime FA signing, getting a huge payday but he has been a pretty good receiver. He had a breakout year in his first season in EDM and came back strong this season. He is no where close to being a bad signing and was recently re-signed. If a newly signed FA receiver put up those numbers as an Argo, I would be happy.

Back to your original post AV, it must be noted that Greg Carr failed not once but three times. Another example is Argo fan favourite, Byron Parker who left for BC but only lasted one season.

There have been a lot of overpaid, under producing FA busts over the years but there also has been a lot of roster improvements made through Free Agency so it's a tough call. I trust Barker will spend wisely.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    FA Nick Moore is comparable to D. Inman and might be amenable to signing in the east. There's some good LB's available also.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    FA Nick Moore is comparable to D. Inman and might be amenable to signing in the east. There's some good LB's available also.
    Nick Moore may have put up good overall numbers in 2013, but over the last 2 years he has dropped a lot of balls. IMO, not as good as Inman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Bowman has been pretty good wherever he has played (SSK,WPG & EDM), it's just injuries got in the way of last season and early on this year. I don't think Bowman was a prime FA signing, getting a huge payday but he has been a pretty good receiver. He had a breakout year in his first season in EDM and came back strong this season. He is no where close to being a bad signing and was recently re-signed. If a newly signed FA receiver put up those numbers as an Argo, I would be happy.

Back to your original post AV, it must be noted that Greg Carr failed not once but three times. Another example is Argo fan favourite, Byron Parker who left for BC but only lasted one season.

There have been a lot of overpaid, under producing FA busts over the years but there also has been a lot of roster improvements made through Free Agency so it's a tough call. I trust Barker will spend wisely.
    I don't disagree with your assessment of Bowman. But I wasn't talking about numbers. I asked specifically how has he helped the Eskimos? They've gotten worse each year. Not blaming him for that, but my point was big FA signings don't always equate to team success.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't disagree with your assessment of Bowman. But I wasn't talking about numbers. I asked specifically how has he helped the Eskimos? They've gotten worse each year. Not blaming him for that, but my point was big FA signings don't always equate to team success.
    It seems very simple. Bowman is a good player on a lousy team. He helps the team precisely by being a good player. But, alas, he's only one of dozens of players on the team. Yet if a lousy team manages to sign good players, FAs or not, then we can expect to see that team improve.
    There is no perpetual motion machine: a good team is a product of good players.
    Distinguishing between big signing and good signing, it is true that "big FA signings don't always equate to team success".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    There is no perpetual motion machine: a good team is a product of good players.
    Distinguishing between big signing and good signing, it is true that "big FA signings don't always equate to team success".
    The way I see it, a good team is a product of good players that fit in. Good players alone don't necessarily mean team success. It goes beyond that. I truly believe that the 2004 B.C. Lions and Montreal Alouettes had a lot more talent than the Argos did, but the Argos beat them both to take home the cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Getting Muamba and Joe Burnett would be great.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO one of the reasons Barker doesn't go after FA's that will demand top dollar is the money he has to pay Ricky Ray. With the cap apparently going up for the 2014 season he may have a shot at a few. It will probably take a good whack of bonus money, IF he can sign Greenwood, plus a healthy yearly salary. That might be priority one. I'm not one who thinks the defense will be terrible next year if we don't sign one of those big FA's that are out there. But Jim needs to bring back his own FA first like Watkins for that veteran presence in the back end. Young players like Lawrence, Thorpe, Bryant, Gabriel, Robinson and Smith should all be better with a year's experience. The same for LB's Hortan and Culbert. DE is the big area that needs improvement IMO and maybe some of the current roster players can step up their game there as well. That is the one position a difference maker is really needed, one of those guys that are almost unblockable at times. Don't know if that guy exists in the current crop of FA's, but Hall and maybe Keron Williams would be an upgrade.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Neiko Thorpe has been released and signed a futures contract with the Oakland Raiders. Probably just a training camp body. I think Inman has more potential but Thorpe is only 23.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Neiko Thorpe has been released and signed a futures contract with the Oakland Raiders. Probably just a training camp body. I think Inman has more potential but Thorpe is only 23.
    I hope the Argos aren't making a problem for themselves and other teams by releasing these players a year early. The league might as well go back to the previous agreement with the NFL that allowed players to sign down South going into their option year. The teams should all be on the same page. It appears that the Argos and maybe BC, as they are Braley's teams, were not in favour of the rule change that players had to sign the two year deal. Why else would they keep releasing good players early so they could sign in the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thorpe played nine games with KC in 2012 so I am not so sure that he doesn't have a better chance of sticking down there.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I hope the Argos aren't making a problem for themselves and other teams by releasing these players a year early. The league might as well go back to the previous agreement with the NFL that allowed players to sign down South going into their option year. The teams should all be on the same page. It appears that the Argos and maybe BC, as they are Braley's teams, were not in favour of the rule change that players had to sign the two year deal. Why else would they keep releasing good players early so they could sign in the NFL.
    I don't see how it's a problem for the Argos to do this voluntarily. I think they will be able to recruit more and better import players as it becomes known that they are willing to let you go if you get a serious NFL shot -- Armstead, Inman, Thorpe, etc. I'm willing to take the chance that some of them will leave if it means getting them in the first place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't see how it's a problem for the Argos to do this voluntarily. I think they will be able to recruit more and better import players as it becomes known that they are willing to let you go if you get a serious NFL shot -- Armstead, Inman, Thorpe, etc. I'm willing to take the chance that some of them will leave if it means getting them in the first place.
    Makes perfect sense Paul, reflects well on Barker and The Argonauts doing this and will attract better prospects moving forward. Makes no sense to keep anyone around if their heart is elsewhere, by contrast in Hamilton both Chris Williams and the Ticats came off looking bad in how that fiasco unfolded!!
    As tough as it is to see good quality players go elsewhere it is the right approach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level