Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Post expansion signings.....

As the free agent list was left long so those players would not be attractive to the Rouge et noir, now is the time many signings will occur.

The Argos have signed Gillanders from the Ottawa GeeGees. This shouLd be an interesting signing.... Could he be Duries back up?

We've also re- signed Millington.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...ign-millington

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    As the free agent list was left long so those players would not be attractive to the Rouge et noir, now is the time many signings will occur.

The Argos have signed Gillanders from the Ottawa GeeGees. This shouLd be an interesting signing.... Could he be Duries back up?

We've also re- signed Millington.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...ign-millington
    Gillanders was a pretty decent CIS RB - not going to get a shot as a CFL tailback, but maybe replaces JJ as a back-up RB and hopefully a good special teamer. But why would Ottawa have not signed this local guy first? Have the RedBlacks signed any Canadian free agents (not including the current CFL FA list who aren't available yet) ?
    Last edited by OV Argo; 12-18-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I wonder whether these guys were waiting to hear from the REDBLACKS before making their next career moves...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think the Rouge et Noir signed any non- imports prior to the expansion draft.... And most teams left any signings till after the expansion draft ...( I assume to keep their choices secret). There have been a few FA/non-import signings with other teams this past week.
    There weren't any restrictions on Ottawa in signing non- imports before the draft , were there?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I don't think the Rouge et Noir signed any non- imports prior to the expansion draft.ke... And most teams left any signings till after the expansion draft ...( I assume to keep their choices secret). There have been a few FA/non-import signings with other teams this past week.
    There weren't any restrictions on Ottawa in signing non- imports before the draft , were there?

Not that i know of; and Desjardins could have signed Gillanders or Dobko (outstanding CIS career receiver - Als just signed him), couldn't he have ? They should be all over those type of signings for a new young team in need.

Color me not impressed by Desjardins thus far - in the expansion draft or with lack of other signings (Bombers just cut DeAngelis i think - does Ottawa have any kickers? - get on that one); but - it is early yet i guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Bombers picked up westerns place kicker Liam Hal.......
    It's true, Ottawa has so far ignored the non- import rookie group. They may be focusing on the veterans first prior to adding rookies. No point having 4 rookie RBs and no one to help show them the ropes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not that i know of; and Desjardins could have signed Gillanders or Dobko (outstanding CIS career receiver - Als just signed him), couldn't he have ? They should be all over those type of signings for a new young team in need.

Color me not impressed by Desjardins thus far - in the expansion draft or with lack of other signings (Bombers just cut DeAngelis i think - does Ottawa have any kickers? - get on that one); but - it is early yet i guess.
    I am puzzled why Ottawa would draft 3 FB/TE players unless a deal or two are in the works. As for Gillanders, I was able to see him play live a couple times. I was disappointed when he was not drafted by the Argos but am glad to see him get signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am puzzled why Ottawa would draft 3 FB/TE players unless a deal or two are in the works. As for Gillanders, I was able to see him play live a couple times. I was disappointed when he was not drafted by the Argos but am glad to see him get signed.
    Ottawa can carry all of those fullbacks/tight ends on their roster. The Argos, this past year, had Jeff Johnson, Zander Robinson and Anthony Woodson in the lineup all at once IIRC. The reality is that all three of those Ottawa players could see significant time on special teams if they make the team.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Ottawa can carry all of those fullbacks/tight ends on their roster. The Argos, this past year, had Jeff Johnson, Zander Robinson and Anthony Woodson in the lineup all at once IIRC. The reality is that all three of those Ottawa players could see significant time on special teams if they make the team.
    Delahunt had all of one ST tackle for the Ticats last season i believe, and I hardly recall Lavoie as a special teams ace for the Als.

But - sure carry 3 spare part fullback/TE types on your roster and maybe they are good special teams bodies. Just don't burn 3 of your first 20 NIs selected on a position that rarely sees the field on offence in the CFL now (and the RedBlacks also took James Green - proven special teams gunner, plus Verdone - long-snapper mostly maybe); meanwhile they got one receiver - Kohlert - very impressive for the Bombers but a FA so could sign elsewhere - in a large position group that sees NIs get to play lots in the CFL (but maybe they are thinking of Lavoie or Delahunt as possible starting slotback types - a return to the big target inside receiver like an Elgaard or DiPietro (i highly doubt this but maybe?). Thinking "back-ups" or "special teamers" is an ultra limited but dare i say typical CFL good ole boy attitude towards NI talent on your roster - those types can be found in the later round of the college draft or as undrafted FAs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I really think that the Redblacks took inexpensive NI's in the draft in order to leave themselves with lots of cap room. I think they are going to be BIG spenders come Feb 16, and that is where you will see them pick up some good NI starting talent. They likely will have more to spend than any other team on FA's (as far as cap room goes). My feeling is that they used the draft to build their depth. Time will tell if they did a good job or not, but I'm not going to start second guessing at this point.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    ............. Thinking "back-ups" or "special teamers" is an ultra limited but dare i say typical CFL good ole boy attitude towards NI talent on your roster - those types can be found in the later round of the college draft or as undrafted FAs.
    Sometimes I agree OV, but I think you are on your own bandwagon here. I believe the rouge et noir did what
    Barker would have done ..... Picked the best athlete available from what was available at the time. It would be interesting to be the Ottawa GM and actually see who was available at each round of the draft. Between FA , injured and protected I wouldn't doubt these guys were the best available at the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Ottawa has signed former Gee-Gees receiver Simon Le Marquand.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OK - some progress - a local guy, put up some very impressive athletic testing #s at the CFL Combine, and had TC experience with the Ticats before going back for a final season with the GGs.

Way more of this please Desjardins; there are yearly top CIS players who get over-looked in the CFL draft, who might warrant a look. There were 2 QBs at the CFL Combine last spring - Cayman Shutter & Myles Gibbon - who both went undrafted and went back to CIS ball to put up pretty good seasons; Ottawa maxed out at QB maybe though so zero need to give either of those guys a look ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Shutter, I believe, has an other year of eligibility, so I don't doubt he will use it.
    Gibbons is done.... Will he be willing to switch positions? Or will some team bring him in on the PR. The next question would be , will he settle for PR money?
    Heather is another QB that has been overlooked. must have done something to get the Hec.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Wasn't the party line by the RedBlacks how they drafted what
    they perceived to be the best player available and not necessarily the position.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Gillanders was a pretty decent CIS RB - not going to get a shot as a CFL tailback, but maybe replaces JJ as a back-up RB and hopefully a good special teamer. But why would Ottawa have not signed this local guy first? Have the RedBlacks signed any Canadian free agents (not including the current CFL FA list who aren't available yet) ?
    My friend from the U of O who is friends with Gillanders brother told me that he was "observing" Argo camp in June. He was injured and I did see him on crutches at Erindale one of the days that I went.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022