Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Jeff Johnson Retires

I just saw on Twitter that JJ has decided to retire. Great team guy that will be missed. Good luck to him in his future!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-je...mpaign=twitter

ARGONAUTS.CA
    TORONTO – Toronto Argonauts RB/FB Jeff Johnson, who has been a mainstay in the Argonauts’ lineup for more than a decade as well as a member of two championship teams, has announced his retirement from football.
    Commented Jeff Johnson, “It is with great humility and great honour that I have decided to retire from the game of football and move on to the next chapter of my life. I could have never imagined all that I would gain from this great game. I would like to thank the Toronto Argonauts organization for believing in me and giving me the opportunity of a lifetime - it has been a dream come true. Thank you to all the fans for your support, dedication and love that you continue to show year after year. Finally, thank you to all my family and friends who have been there from the beginning and for showering me with love and support for 14 incredible years; I love you all. Double Blue forever!”

Known inside the locker room as ‘JJ’, his CFL career spanned 14 seasons - his first two as a member of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2000-2001) and then 12 years in Toronto (2001-2013). He played in 234 regular season CFL games, including 198 regular season games as an Argo which is good for fifth most in team history (behind only Don Moen, 222, Mike O’Shea, 205, Noel Prefontaine, 208, and Danny Nykoluk, 204). He also dressed in 14 CFL playoff games, 11 as an Argonaut, and played in and won two Grey Cup championships, both as an Argo in 2004 and 2012.

Commented Argonauts General Manager Jim Barker, “Jeff has been a consummate professional in every sense of the term. Since I’ve known him, he has been everything one could want in a football player on and off the field. His work ethic, leadership, sense of family, and enthusiasm for the game have set him apart his entire career. I would like to thank Jeff for his commitment to our team and although he’ll always be an Argo, wish him well as he begins the next phase of his life.”
    The 36 year old has been among the most durable players in the CFL and was renowned throughout the league for his keen attention to personal fitness. He averaged nearly 17 regular season games played per year, and led teams to playoff appearances nine times. His regular season career numbers include 402 touches for 2,872 combined yards, 21 touchdowns and 113 special teams tackles.
    Commented Jeff Johnson’s former coach and current Argonauts Vice Chair Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons, “Today is a little bit like when I first dropped my daughter at university – it’s the saddest of great days. You know they’re right where you want them to be in life, but you also know you are going to miss them. JJ worked hard on the field and his preparation in the classroom was second to none. He is a consummate professional who not only influenced the game with his outstanding play, but he respected the game by honouring our fans. He prepared himself for this day his whole career and now he has the distinction of success on the field and the dignity of options off of it. My greatest wish is to see our players be great friends, teammates, and community leaders, and most significantly, great husbands and dads. All of which define Jeffrey Edwin Johnson. I love you and I wish you and your family the very best.”
    A former standout at York University, the Toronto native totalled 618 touches for 4,577 combined yards and 21 touchdowns during his four years there. He was the CIAU Outstanding Rookie in 1996, a three-time First Team OUA all-star and a two-time CIAU Second Team All-Star.
    Jeff and his wife Kelly live in Mississauga, Ontario and are the proud parents of Maya, Justyce and Lyncoln Jet.

Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes a great guy and an equally great Argo soldier.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    AAWWW.. I'll miss having him out there. Always able to step in wherever he was needed and always did a good job. Again, I bet the Argos will not be bothered to have him honoured at a game next year, just like they totally ignored Mike O'Shea's retirement. This team should start honouring those long time players. Not is my biggest beef about this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Congrats JJ. solid career. So now who would be the current longest serving Argo?

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    O'Shea went straight into coaching so he wouldn't have been recognized so soon. It may have made him a little uncomfortable to be honoured at halftime while the rest of team is in the locker room, especially when a KO or KR team needed to be organized.I'm not a huge fan of honouring guys too soon, especially letting in 1st year guys into the HOF. For example, I don't think Charles Roberts should have been inducted into CFHOF so soon especially when guys like Dick Thornton and Hank Ilesic have been waiting. Is he even a HOFer? His stats are up there but I'm not so sure, it'll take years for me to decide this one.

Micheal Fletcher and Pinball were probably the youngest ever to be honoured by the team. JJ should get honoured at the opening game and should be easy to organize since he lives here but I don't think they'll make him an All-Time Argo. I agree though, more needs to be done with alumni but there are a lot older guys who should be honoured way before these young guys IMO.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Great no nonsense player that doesn't come around too often. Personally thought he was extremely under-utilized earlier in his career - loved his running style and how he plays the game. You 100% honour him in some way shape or form the opener of next season but agree on delaying any all-time greats (if at all but today's not the day for that discussion) for a few years. I may be losing it but we haven't had any all-time argos inducted in a few years now have we? May be something to consider next year - lots of potential candidates out there....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    A class act, a superb special teamer and a very solid running back and receiver when he was pressed into service. He may well be one of the greatest Argos ever in the unsung category of guys who make the special teams work. JJ wasn't often the first guy downfield to make a tackle, or the guy whose block sprung a returner into the clear, but his smart, aggressive work on those squads was vitally important to our consistent success in that area over the past decade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    I may be losing it but we haven't had any all-time argos inducted in a few years now have we? May be something to consider next year - lots of potential candidates out there....
    I think Rodney Harding was the last one, in either 2011 or 2012. I would like to see one added each season or two. I really hope that when the team gets to its 150th year (10 years from now), a determined effort to name the all-time Argo team is made. It has been done in the past (I think 2007 was the last stab at this) but 150 is an incredible number and special care must be made to honour that tradition. Maybe three teams should be named -- the all-time Argos of the first, second and third 50-year spans in team history. That would account for the massive differences among the eras, and ensure the big names of the early years (few of whom are really known at this point, since records were so scarce pre-1909) don't get lost.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    awesome guy! sad to see him retire but i wish him the best

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Will miss him but understand that it is time to move on. Thanks JJ...you were always ready and well prepared and wish you would've been given the chance to carry the ball more!

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks for always being a pro JJ. Loved it when you were a featured back in 2005. Double Blue forever!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Class act, never complained about being more involved in the offence when he was younger. I believe he has a promising career in real estate, if he didn't I would like to see him as the STC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Yes a great guy and an equally great Argo soldier.
    X2 Maybe he should write a book on the last 14 years with the Argos. He has seen a lot of Players and Coaches come and go.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I also felt Jeff was underutilized earlier in his career and highly respected his work and work effort. My only complaint about Jeff was actually one about the Argos not finding a NI RB replacement for him (while still recognizing his valuable contribution on STs) as he approached his mid 30s.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    One early memory of JJ - when he was with the Ticats i think - and they lost their starting RB and announced JJ would be the starter next game; a poster on the old Total CFL fan forum responded with the typical who is this guy and what are they thinking starting a NI at tailback; Johnson responded with a 100 yard rushing game.

Fine CFL career - with a GC ring to wear; enjoy retirement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Fine CFL career - with a GC ring to wear; enjoy retirement.
    Two of those rings, in fact.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    A quality special teams guy who while didn't get significant opportunities at running back was usually successful when he did get a chance. I recall him being very effective in that role in 2005 when both John Avery and Sean Millington went down in blowout wins versus Montreal (at the Big O to boot) and against the Tiger-Cats. Best of luck in retirement JJ!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022