Thread: Durie Extended

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I would:
    1. Not like to see roster limit increase (unless required to implement point 2, below).
    2. Like to see special provision made for development of The Canadian QB.
    3. Like to see salary cap rise in optimal, sustainable fashion.
    4. Like to see a ten-team CFL.

No matter what, (fortunately, IMO) the CFL will always be a league that operates on what I'd call "the human scale" - it's personable and comfortable - unlike the colossal machine that is the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought I read something a few months ago that all contracts signed this off-season will increase on a percentage basis by however much the cap goes up as per the next CBA. No idea if that's true, but it seems logical that there has to be some provision for that. Since the 2014 cap is obviously unknown, I'm assuming they're still using the 2013 cap as a basis for new contracts.

And of course, great to see Durie extended.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I can't disagree with any of that, but as we know, the PA will never allow it...especially in better financial times league wise.
    Yep - you are right I believe; the PA will fight for as many jobs as possible = nature of the beast; however, not sure they have that much bargaining power, and if the owners demanded 40 man game rosters, with perhaps a slightly larger and more flexible PR (more bucks, less chance to have guys pulled by other teams) and it meant more money on average for all players, then maybe the PA would accept this ?

A lot has been made about the long-time problem of CFL teams being profitable, so why does a league that doesn't really need 46 man rosters (debatable i realize - the GMs and coaches might believe they do, but they are wrong there IMO) need to pay that many players when they could easily make do with less on the roster and end up paying guys more, with increasing profitablily, even slightly, to be had there too?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Good to see Andre Durie get his extension and at 33 he can still get it done on the football field. Got me thinking how Durie made the move from his original RB position to the slot and found his CFL niche. He can still use his running ability so well after a pass reception. Jesse Lumsden is two years younger at 31 and appears to be in excellent shape doing Bob Sled runs. Makes me wonder why some team, like the Argos, hasn't tried so see if he has recovered from his shoulder injuries enough to give it another shot as maybe a slot receiver similar to Andre Durie. Jesse had that 4.4 speed and was shifty like Andre, and even if he has lost a step would still be fast enough to be effective. Jesse IMO had Hall of Fame talent and it was a shame he wasn't able to play long enough to make it happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good to see Andre Durie get his extension and at 33 he can still get it done on the football field. Got me thinking how Durie made the move from his original RB position to the slot and found his CFL niche. He can still use his running ability so well after a pass reception. Jesse Lumsden is two years younger at 31 and appears to be in excellent shape doing Bob Sled runs. Makes me wonder why some team, like the Argos, hasn't tried so see if he has recovered from his shoulder injuries enough to give it another shot as maybe a slot receiver similar to Andre Durie. Jesse had that 4.4 speed and was shifty like Andre, and even if he has lost a step would still be fast enough to be effective. Jesse IMO had Hall of Fame talent and it was a shame he wasn't able to play long enough to make it happen.
    Lumsden retired from football. He was very talented but could not get through more than two games without sustaining a serious injury and he became well aware that his body could not withstand the pounding of football which is why he is now bobsledding full-time.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Lumsden retired from football. He was very talented but could not get through more than two games without sustaining a serious injury and he became well aware that his body could not withstand the pounding of football which is why he is now bobsledding full-time.
    I know Jesse retired from Football, but time heals everything including the body. It was my understanding that it was his shoulder that was the main problem and if it had healed and was strengthened by therapy he could still play at a position like slot back that didn't require the pounding the running backs take. But that is only a question that he could answer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I know Jesse retired from Football, but time heals everything including the body. It was my understanding that it was his shoulder that was the main problem and if it had healed and was strengthened by therapy he could still play at a position like slot back that didn't require the pounding the running backs take. But that is only a question that he could answer.
    Durie made the transition to receiver by showing he could catch the ball, run routes at the pro level; it's not a given for a RB by trade; Lumsden MIGHT be able to show good hands and route running, but he might also be sadly lacking in that department (never used much as a pass catching back in his CIS days that i recall); guy was a big powerful RB - and IMO one of the best pure talents - package of size, speed, power - the CFL has seen at tailback in some time while he was healthy in the league; he had his day/moments; too bad about the injury issues; I bet he is OK now with doing the bobsledding thing, and I can't see any CFL team overly interested in trying him at any position again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if Marcel Desjardins and his staff have had that conversation. They are scrounging around trying to find enough Canadians to take to Camp. Teams seem to need about thirty Canadians to make sure they can find twenty for game days. Ones with the talent level of the CFL preferred.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I wonder if Marcel Desjardins and his staff have had that conversation. They are scrounging around trying to find enough Canadians to take to Camp. Teams seem to need about thirty Canadians to make sure they can find twenty for game days. Ones with the talent level of the CFL preferred.
    Honestly, I would be surprised as I just don't think that Lumsden is on anyone's radar at this point. He is 31 which is older by football standards - and I do realize that Durie is older but still doesn't seem to necessarily have hit his potential - and has played three games since 2010 IIRC. I just feel that it is better to look for and try to develop the next Lumsden rather than try to convince him to return to a game that he has shown no durability in.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force