Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level

Medlock signed by the Cats?

It's just been reported that FG kicker and former Argo Justin Medlock has been signed by the Cats.
    If so, this is a great signing for the Hammer and just might put them in a serious position to win the East over the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Here is the apparent confirmation.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Good for the Ti-Cats !
    Also nice to see Nick Setta back in the CFL.
    Any update on Swayze Waters, Free Agent ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Good for the Ti-Cats !
    Also nice to see Nick Setta back in the CFL.
    Any update on Swayze Waters, Free Agent ?
    Medlock is certainly a fine signing for Hamilton. Setta has signed with Ottawa. I haven't heard anything about Waters but hopefully we will hear about some free agent re-signings soon.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Medlock is certainly a fine signing for Hamilton. Setta has signed with Ottawa. I haven't heard anything about Waters but hopefully we will hear about some free agent re-signings soon.
    To stay even with these two great signings, we desperately need to resign Waters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    To stay even with these two great signings, we desperately need to resign Waters.
    No kidding! I've found myself wondering why Medlock (apparently) hasn't been in the Argos' mix (unless Waters' has already privately committed to re-signing with the team).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    No kidding! I've found myself wondering why Medlock (apparently) hasn't been in the Argos' mix (unless Waters' has already privately committed to re-signing with the team).
    I wonder if there isn't still some bad blood after Medlock was traded by Barker in 2010 for Prefontaine shortly after Medlock returned from the NFL.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if there isn't still some bad blood after Medlock was traded by Barker in 2010 for Prefontaine shortly after Medlock returned from the NFL.
    Is it only us, or does Barker have that love him or hate him personality?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm pretty sure Medlock also let it be known on his last NFL tryout that if he didn't catch on, he would retire. He obviously had a change of heart, and his agent likely knew the issues Hamilton had with kicking last year, so they likely reached out to the Cats. Personally, I would have loved to get Medlock back here. He has great acuracy and range, and his punting was improving..good hang time.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm pretty sure Medlock also let it be known on his last NFL tryout that if he didn't catch on, he would retire. He obviously had a change of heart, and his agent likely knew the issues Hamilton had with kicking last year, so they likely reached out to the Cats. Personally, I would have loved to get Medlock back here. He has great acuracy and range, and his punting was improving..good hang time.
    +1

Given that Medlock is now off the market, I really hope the Argos don't lose Waters (I suspect, however, that young Mr. Waters is fully capable of developing a successful NFL career).
    Here and now, it seems that Medlock vs. Waters is pretty much a wash: the former is the better FG kicker; the latter the better kicker otherwise.
    So, while I'd have been happy with either kicker, neither could prove to be problematic for the 2014 Argos.

(Note: Havard Rugland signed with the Detroit Lions, according to Google.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Wow! - Waters not even close to a Medlock calibre kicker IMO; his punting is pretty decent but could get better; his place-kicking is ultra iffy. I really hope the Argos bring in some kicking competition for TC and are not content to just hand both jobs to Waters. Rather have 2 kickers handling the all important CFL punting/place-kicking duties rather than going with one guy who is good at one job but mediocre or unreliable at the other (especially accuracy in FG kicking).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    At the time, Medlock's performance as an Argo led me (and perhaps most everyone else on this board?) to assume that there could be a concerted effort to secure Medlock's services.
    Instead, the expeditious replacement of Medlock by recycling the fast-declining Prefontaine.
    Strange days! Has Barker ever discussed what was going on?
    Last edited by Argo; 01-09-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Wow! - Waters not even close to a Medlock calibre kicker IMO; his punting is pretty decent but could get better; his place-kicking is ultra iffy. I really hope the Argos bring in some kicking competition for TC and are not content to just hand both jobs to Waters. Rather have 2 kickers handling the all important CFL punting/place-kicking duties rather than going with one guy who is good at one job but mediocre or unreliable at the other (especially accuracy in FG kicking).
    The talent-squandered wound that Medlock seems to represent vis-a-vis the Argos: it's painful when re-opened. And now he's back in black and gold, ready to kick the Argos in the arse, so to speak...

Though I think that Waters is up for the task of handling all kicking duties. He's young, has a strong leg, and shows improvement. If he re-signs, if I were Barker I'd pay Waters' expenses for a session with The Don (Sweet). And, yes, competition cannot hurt.
    Waters missing games due to injury was unfortunate.
    Last edited by Argo; 01-09-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The one issue that I have seen with Waters is that he can be streaky which is not unusual for a younger kicker. If he can become more consistent, there is no reason why he can't be at least as good as Medlock. Of course, the Argos have to re-sign Waters first.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I said last year when we all saw how talented Waters was, to immediately sign him on a long term deal presuming he wanted to do so.
    Now it's even more crucial.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I said last year when we all saw how talented Waters was, to immediately sign him on a long term deal presuming he wanted to do so.
    Now it's even more crucial.
    So, of regular FG kickers last year in the league, Waters had the 8th best FG percentage. In an 8 team league, that's not very good. I love his leg strength, but from the get go didn't like the hook on his kicks. His punting was lights out last year. No complaints there but the Argos need to bring in some other kickers to compete with him.

As for the long term contract, as I said at the time, unless there is a very substantial signing bonus, no player in the league should be signing a long term contract. Contracts aren't guaranteed so why commit to a long term deal. There is absolutely no benefit to the player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    So, of regular FG kickers last year in the league, Waters had the 8th best FG percentage. In an 8 team league, that's not very good. I love his leg strength, but from the get go didn't like the hook on his kicks. His punting was lights out last year. No complaints there but the Argos need to bring in some other kickers to compete with him.

As for the long term contract, as I said at the time, unless there is a very substantial signing bonus, no player in the league should be signing a long term contract. Contracts aren't guaranteed so why commit to a long term deal. There is absolutely no benefit to the player.

I agree with you he had some technical issues with FG after the injury, but appears to have been corrected at season end.
    As for the punting, his hang time was awesome and one cannot look at the distance alone.
    I hope he decides to make a commitment with the team as the Cats and the RBlacks are in decent shape.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with you he had some technical issues with FG after the injury, but appears to have been corrected at season end.
    As for the punting, his hang time was awesome and one cannot look at the distance alone.
    I hope he decides to make a commitment with the team as the Cats and the RBlacks are in decent shape.
    Hamilton and Ottawa have signed top-quality kickers (I expect to see more good work from Setta).
    I'm now concerned about the Argos' situation; particularly if one person is doing all the kicking, we're talking about the second most important player on the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm now concerned about the Argos' situation; particularly if one person is doing all the kicking, we're talking about the second most important player on the team.
    I agree. Personally I think having a dual purpose kicker is not the way to go. We don't have 37 man rosters anymore. I think it was a rather embarrassing situation to have to rely on Dontrelle Inman to punt and Spence Watt to place kick when Waters went down last year. It would be sad to lose a playoff game if your kicker/Punter was injured mid game and you didn't have at least a competent replacement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad the Argos had to give up Grant Shaw in that deal to get Ricky Ray; Shaw has a strong leg and might yet become a very good dual kicker, and at the least could have been a guy to have on the roster - as the 2nd kicker, a guy who could play STs and even DB in a pinch (was a good DB in CIS ball = can hit & tackle).

Said it before often - and to echo AV here - I really favor dual kickers in the CFL game now - unless you have a guy who is outstanding at BOTH jobs - otherwise, zero reason to not have a back-up kicker on the game roster (not Inman or Watt types); Chris Hardy or Dave Stala types - guys who can play positions other than kicker - are not that common anymore though - most college ball kickers are dedicated kickers only now. (Acadia's all-star QB - Kyle Graves - of a couple of years back was a decent punter - so he could have been on a CFL roster developing as a QB plus available to punt).
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-10-2014 at 10:40 PM.