Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Too bad the Argos had to give up Grant Shaw in that deal to get Ricky Ray; Shaw has a strong leg and might yet become a very good dual kicker, and at the least could have been a guy to have on the roster - as the 2nd kicker, a guy who could play STs and even DB in a pinch (was a good DB in CIS ball = can hit & tackle).

Said it before often - and to echo AV here - I really favor dual kickers in the CFL game now - unless you have a guy who is outstanding at BOTH jobs - otherwise, zero reason to not have a back-up kicker on the game roster (not Inman or Watt types); Chris Hardy or Dave Stala types - guys who can play positions other than kicker - are not that common anymore though - most college ball kickers are dedicated kickers only now. (Acadia's all-star QB - Kyle Graves - of a couple of years back was a decent punter - so he could have been on a CFL roster developing as a QB plus available to punt).
    Graves actually dressed as Montreal's third string QB for several games late last season, OV. He is still officially on Montreal's roster as a wide receiver.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Graves actually dressed as Montreal's third string QB for several games late last season, OV. He is still officially on Montreal's roster as a wide receiver.
    I knew Graves had been in Als TC and around their roster; didn't realize he had ever been on their 42 game roster - so, when Marsh got injured, they had to dress somebody listed as a 3rd QB (that's a CFL rule right?), so Graves got on the game roster? Guess that provides a bit of roster flexibility there; no way he was ever going to play QB, but could have kicked if Whyte (was he the only kicker they dressed?) got hurt in the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if there isn't still some bad blood after Medlock was traded by Barker in 2010 for Prefontaine shortly after Medlock returned from the NFL.
    If I recall, an injury to punter Jamie Boreham facilitated the Argos to required Prefontaine.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I knew Graves had been in Als TC and around their roster; didn't realize he had ever been on their 42 game roster - so, when Marsh got injured, they had to dress somebody listed as a 3rd QB (that's a CFL rule right?), so Graves got on the game roster? Guess that provides a bit of roster flexibility there; no way he was ever going to play QB, but could have kicked if Whyte (was he the only kicker they dressed?) got hurt in the game.
    You are correct that Graves dressed as the third string QB when Marsh was injured. During Touchdown Atlantic, I believe that TSN talked a little about Graves as that may have been the first game that he dressed for.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If I recall, an injury to punter Jamie Boreham facilitated the Argos to required Prefontaine.
    Yes, that trade happened after a big win in Saskatchewan in 2010. That was the same game in which Boreham and Byron Parker executed a memorable fake punt in the Argo endzone. Boreham was injured shortly after that - I believe on a kickoff - and never played for the Argos again. Of course, Medlock could have punted in Boreham's absence but Barker decided to go after Prefontaine instead. Grant Shaw was in his rookie year that year too and did the placekicking for the first half of that season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    when Marsh got injured, they had to dress somebody listed as a 3rd QB (that's a CFL rule right?)
    No such rule that I'm aware of -- Argos dressed only two QBs (Reeves and Pickett, if I recall correctly, or maybe it was Reeves and Joseph) at the end of the 2009 season. But they dressed 41, not 42.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No such rule that I'm aware of -- Argos dressed only two QBs (Reeves and Pickett, if I recall correctly, or maybe it was Reeves and Joseph) at the end of the 2009 season. But they dressed 41, not 42.
    IIRC, Paul, the Argos dressed only two QBs for the entire season with the duo being Joseph and Pickett for much of the season and Reaves and Joseph for the final couple of games after an injury to Pickett. Cynamon and Sokolowski were in full cost-cutting mode for much of that season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IIRC, Paul, the Argos dressed only two QBs for the entire season with the duo being Joseph and Pickett for much of the season and Reaves and Joseph for the final couple of games after an injury to Pickett. Cynamon and Sokolowski were in full cost-cutting mode for much of that season.
    An argument could be made that the Argos did not dress any QB's that season. I still praise Jim Barker for cutting all of them when he took over, leaving the Argos bare at that position albeit temporarily.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure Graves would have been allowed to punt if Whyte had gone down. I'm pretty sure that there is a CFL rule that the declared 3rd QB is not allowed to kick or punt. I seem to recall that in Travis Lulay' rookie year, he was the no 3 QB on the roster one game (league rule has it that QB depth chart must be officially declared before each game) and McCallum was injured during the game. Lulay came out and punted once and then the Lions were told of the rule (I guess the officials missed it at the time), and Paris Jackson had to punt the rest of the game. Stupid rule IMO, and really hope it has been changed.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not sure Graves would have been allowed to punt if Whyte had gone down. I'm pretty sure that there is a CFL rule that the declared 3rd QB is not allowed to kick or punt. I seem to recall that in Travis Lulay' rookie year, he was the no 3 QB on the roster one game (league rule has it that QB depth chart must be officially declared before each game) and McCallum was injured during the game. Lulay came out and punted once and then the Lions were told of the rule (I guess the officials missed it at the time), and Paris Jackson had to punt the rest of the game. Stupid rule IMO, and really hope it has been changed.
    SO - if as Paul says, there is no rule to declare a 3rd QB, then why bother to and thus restrict the guy from playing ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I know that in 2008, when the Argos had both Medlock and Eddie Johnson, they tried to dress Johnson in one game as the "third QB," with the intention that he could punt and Medlock could place-kick. The league ruled that was not permissible. I suggested to Adam Rita by email that they should designate Johnson as the second QB, so he wouldn't be subject to such a restriction, and he said they had given that some thought.

Rosters consist of 20 non-imports, 19 imports and three QBs of any nationality but there is nothing forcing teams to dress that many in each category -- those are maximums, not absolute requirements. The league does not want teams using the third QB spot to sneak some extra position on to the roster.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't dispute that Medlock is a great signing for the Tiger-Cats, but how does signing a guy who hasn't kicked in five years (Setta) qualify as a great move?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I don't dispute that Medlock is a great signing for the Tiger-Cats, but how does signing a guy who hasn't kicked in five years (Setta) qualify as a great move?
    I, for one, applaud Setta's signing based upon his past performance, his age, sustained interest (including offers) during the three year interruption in his football career, and in general because there's nothing to lose and everything to gain in securing exclusive evaluation of talented players.

Just as with every other signing, only time will tell whether this one was a "great move".