Thread: Special Teams

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Special Teams

We are going to see a big change this year with the loss of our coach (O'Shea), our captain (Johnson) and a real stalwart (Pottinger). Plus over the past few years we have also lost Bryan Crawford, a fantastic special teamer, and Noel Prefontaine, who despite his late-career issues with distance and accuracy was always a very smart player who could execute a fake punt as well as anyone.

I can't wait to find out who our new ST coach is. As for replacing the key guys, I would think Yurichuk probably moves into the JJ role as captain and signal-caller on punts. Bradwell is great on STs but wasn't very healthy last season. Gabriel is a great downfield tackler but his ST time may become limited if he moves into a starting spot in the secondary. Other guys who could become key are Tonye-Tonye, Hood and Woodson.

Speaking of coaches, there are reports on riderfans that Stephen MacAdoo will be hired as Edmonton's OC, so we may be looking for an O-line coach as well as a ST co-ordinator.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Further to this, the scuttlebutt in Hamilton is that with Medlock signed by the Ticats, they will let Josh Bartel go. Bartel is a hell of a punter -- is he good enough for us to sign him and use Waters (assuming he re-signs) on placements and kickoffs only? Hate to use two spots on kickers but a Waters/Bartel combo could be really, really strong.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Further to this, the scuttlebutt in Hamilton is that with Medlock signed by the Ticats, they will let Josh Bartel go. Bartel is a hell of a punter -- is he good enough for us to sign him and use Waters (assuming he re-signs) on placements and kickoffs only? Hate to use two spots on kickers but a Waters/Bartel combo could be really, really strong.
    A rather intriguing idea, given that Bartel is classified as non-import. My initial reaction, though, is that signing Bartel and specializing Waters (assuming that he re-signs) probably would not add sufficient value to justify consuming another roster spot c/w decent salary. Waters has already demonstrated that he can perform all kicking tasks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    An alternative future (Waters did not re-sign)... the Argos' play their home games in Shangri-La, Medlock kicks field goals, Bartel handles punting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Speaking of coaches, there are reports on riderfans that Stephen MacAdoo will be hired as Edmonton's OC, so we may be looking for an O-line coach as well as a ST co-ordinator.
    The one assistant that I most fear losing is Steve McAdoo because I think that he has done an excellent job developing the Argo offensive line. About all that Milanovich can offer him would be the assistant head coach position but an offensive coordinator offer would likely trump that.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the loss of O'Shea, I'm thinking our special teams unit will be a little less special. Swayze has only been in the league now for a couple years, but I do feel his experience on punting is much more than Bartels ..... I think we leave Bartels alone.
    Pre would be awesome to have back with the team , especially assisting with special teams. He has the experience and the know how for the CFL special teams planning and possible trickery. ( which I love to watch.... I couldn't be a special teams coach I think I would do trick plays all the time)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    With the loss of O'Shea, I'm thinking our special teams unit will be a little less special. Swayze has only been in the league now for a couple years, but I do feel his experience on punting is much more than Bartels ..... I think we leave Bartels alone.
    Pre would be awesome to have back with the team , especially assisting with special teams. He has the experience and the know how for the CFL special teams planning and possible trickery. ( which I love to watch.... I couldn't be a special teams coach I think I would do trick plays all the time)
    It's rather difficult to imagine - all things being equal and if he wants the job - Prefontaine not being hired as the Argos' new Special Teams Coordinator.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    It's rather difficult to imagine - all things being equal and if he wants the job - Prefontaine not being hired as the Argos' new Special Teams Coordinator.
    I like Pre and have suggested he is a candidate, but I'm not sure what would be considered "all things being equal." If it means all candidates have no coaching experience, then he might get it based on his relationship with the org. But if he is up against an experienced ST coach, say Marcello Simmons, I have no problem imagining Pre not getting the job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I like Pre and have suggested he is a candidate, but I'm not sure what would be considered "all things being equal." If it means all candidates have no coaching experience, then he might get it based on his relationship with the org. But if he is up against an experienced ST coach, say Marcello Simmons, I have no problem imagining Pre not getting the job.
    Fair enough; I hadn't considered an experienced Argonauts alumnus as competitor for the job. Though Prefontaine has more going for him than just his relationship with the organization. He does have vast (as in league-high) special teams experience and many years of successful interaction with teammates (sans Baker), so he's actually much better qualified for the job than O'Shea was when he was hired. The only sticking point that I can see would be "can he teach?". I dare say that he can.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Fair enough; I hadn't considered an experienced Argonauts alumnus as competitor for the job. Though Prefontaine has more going for him than just his relationship with the organization. He does have vast (as in league-high) special teams experience and many years of successful interaction with teammates (sans Baker), so he's actually much better qualified for the job than O'Shea was when he was hired. The only sticking point that I can see would be "can he teach?". I dare say that he can.
    Are you suggesting that O'Shea had something less than successful interaction with teammates? If so, I have to disagree.

Also, O'Shea played special teams all of his career and had to do more on STs than just kick and throw the odd pass -- he had to block, rush the kicker, set up blocking schemes, make downfield tackles, etc. I am not saying Prefontaine is not qualified to become a ST coach, but I think it's wrong to suggest he is more qualified at this point than O'Shea was when he was given the job.

Boatman
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    speaking of O Shea i am still having a hard time seeing him in the local paper here.It just doesn't seem right.Wish him the best but

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by larz-7 View Post
    speaking of O Shea i am still having a hard time seeing him in the local paper here.It just doesn't seem right.Wish him the best but
    It will take a little getting used to seeing him on the Winnipeg sidelines. I am just glad that the Bombers are no longer in our division although some of you might say otherwise because they have been an easy mark of late.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Are you suggesting that O'Shea had something less than successful interaction with teammates? If so, I have to disagree.
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting that.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It will take a little getting used to seeing him on the Winnipeg sidelines. I am just glad that the Bombers are no longer in our division although some of you might say otherwise because they have been an easy mark of late.
    Ottawa will theoretically struggle for a year or two.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Ottawa will theoretically struggle for a year or two.
    It will be interesting to see if they are better than Winnipeg in 2014 though. I wouldn't bet against it.