Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - Ford was very good, and i think played MLB? - not as good as Cvijanovich though IMO.
    Ford played outside LB, with Chris Gaines in the middle and Don Moen on the other side. I didn't see Cvijanovich enough to compare but I thought the year Ford had in 1991 may have been the best year any Argo LB had had in my viewing lifetime, at least up to that point. I was stunned that he was not the East's nominee for top DP -- the Bombers seemed to have a lock on that at the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Having started in the early to mid 2000's, there have been a lot of bad teams through out my time as an Argo fan so there weren't much rookie stars so the first one to come to mind for me is Cory Boyd. To finally have a 1000 yard rusher in the backfield and I know Robertson become the first since Jenkins but Boyd was a sign that the franchise was finally turning the corner from those horrible seasons with Joseph, Andrus etc.

There probably have been good rookies like Parker in '05 and Younger in '04, I just don't remember them during their rookie season or knew they were rookies at the time while I knew Boyd was a rookie RB. I could say Inman, Chiles, Ball, Watkins, Armstead but there was just more of an excitement with Cory and I think it has to do with all those losing seasons.
    Younger made an impact as a rookie in '04 as did Jonathan Brown (if he was even considered a rookie) that same year. Byron Parker did not play much in his rookie year in '05. His most memorable moment from that season was a TD catch from Damon Allen in Montreal when he lined up as a receiver on one play.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ford played outside LB, with Chris Gaines in the middle and Don Moen on the other side. I didn't see Cvijanovich enough to compare but I thought the year Ford had in 1991 may have been the best year any Argo LB had had in my viewing lifetime, at least up to that point. I was stunned that he was not the East's nominee for top DP -- the Bombers seemed to have a lock on that at the time.
    Yeah - that was a good LB crew; Ford was excellent for a new guy, Gaines was a tough MLB and the always dependable & solid Don Moen.

All-time best Argo LB season ? - Pless only played 12 games as a rookie, but in his 2nd season (87), he had 93 tackles, 7 sacks, 5 INTs and 3 fumble recoveries = off the charts outstanding defensive play-making - and i don't believe he even made CFL all-star that year (Tyrone Jones and Kevin Konar were the 2 all-star OLBs - more name recognition at the time?).

- I mentioned Cvijanovich's rookie season with 7 INTs but the CFL did not publish tackle or other defensive stats back then, but I remember the guy as outstanding all-around on D

- CFL vet Ray Nettles' 77 season with the Argos - i recall was pretty good - a sub 500 team but with a strong D that gave up an average of under 17 points per game.

- Mike O'Shea was very strong as the leader on D of those back to back GC Champs teams in 96/97.

I'd have to go with Willie P's 87 season as an all-time great one for an Argo LB; but Cvijanovich's big rookie season still stands out form me - though the memories are somewhat faded ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree about Pless -- he was fantastic in 1986 and '87. I just felt Ford may have been a more "dominant" LB in 1991, but my memory is also faulty as I get older. My all-time fave Argo LB was Ray Nettles in 1977. That was a ferocious defence -- the best Argo defence I ever saw -- and he was the kingpin. It's too bad we had him for only one season.

O'Shea is almost certainly the greatest if longevity is factored in, and would have been one of the all-timers even if he hadn't played as long as he did. Three GC rings as an Argo -- other than Pinball, do we have anyone else who managed that?

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Three GC rings as an Argo -- other than Pinball, do we have anyone else who managed that?
    Les Ascott has won 5, all with the Argos.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Les Ascott has won 5, all with the Argos.
    Thanks. I was thinking of modern era, but you are correct. There are definitely others with at least three from the pre-1953 era.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After some research, Ulysses Curtis gets gets my vote.

Ulysses Curtis burst onto Canadian football fields in 1950 with a running style so electric he was known as Crazy Legs.Mr. Curtis’s churning, knees-high style made him elusive prey. His dramatic rushes helped lead the Toronto Argonauts to a Grey Cup title in his rookie season in a game remembered as the Mud Bowl. Toronto again claimed the Canadian professional football championship in 1952 with the fleet and powerful Mr. Curtis a valuable weapon in the arsenal.
    Mr. Curtis, who has died in Toronto, aged 87, retired after five seasons as the club’s all-time rushing leader, and remains in fourth place on that list nearly 60 years later. His name can still be found elsewhere in the team’s record book for several rushing standards, as well as for his seven playoff touchdowns.
    “He was a power runner, he had speed, he could catch,” said Nobby Wirkowski, 87, the quarterback who guided the Argonauts to the 1952 title. “He was an outstanding halfback.” Mr. Curtis’s career was also notable in that he joined teammates Billy Bass and Marvin (Stretch) Whaley as the first blacks on the Argonauts roster as professional sports teams began to integrate following the Second World War.
    The professional Los Angeles Dons expressed interest in the fleet scatback, who stood 5-foot-11 and weighed 175 pounds. Meanwhile, Argos president Bob Moran received a clipping from the Pittsburgh Courier, which catered to an African-American readership, describing the exploits of an athlete named a Negro All-American in his junior and senior years. The Toronto team offered him a tryout. The prospect of avoiding American segregation was appealing, as was the paycheque on offer. ...

“I had received a letter from Argonauts which stated I would be paid $150 a game if I made the team,” he told Milt Dunnell of the Toronto Star in 1989. “Also, I would get $50 per week during the preseason. Doesn’t sound like much now but remember bread at that time was only 15 cents a loaf.” ...
    In August, 1950, about 3,000 spectators watched the American import and fellow rookies join veterans in a split-squad practice. Crazy Legs made an immediate impression. “The husky halfback with the legs only slightly smaller than a dray horse’s ripped up a scrimmage in such startling fashion that even coach Frank Clair was seen to smile for the first time in two weeks,” reported Hal Walker of the Globe. The first time he touched the ball Mr. Curtis galloped 80 yards. The Argos agreed to pay him $200 per game. ...
    At season’s end, Mr. Curtis was named a first team all-star halfback, an impressive debut. ...
    The Argonauts finished in second place in the Big Four before knocking off the first-place Hamilton Tiger-Cats in a two-game, total points series.
    Three days later, the Argos faced Balmy Beach, champions of the Ontario Rugby Football Union, with the winner to advance to the Grey Cup against the Western champion. The Argos had little trouble with their crosstown rivals, winning 43-13, with Mr. Curtis scoring three touchdowns.

https://benchedathletes.wordpress.co...nto-argonauts/

Ulysses Curtis burst onto Canadian football fields with a running style so electric he was known as Crazy Legs.
    Mr. Curtis’s churning, knees-high style made him elusive prey. His dramatic rushes helped lead the Toronto Argonauts to a Grey Cup title in his rookie season in a 1950 game remembered as the Mud Bowl. Toronto again claimed the Canadian professional football championship two years later, with the fleet and powerful Mr. Curtis a valuable weapon in the arsenal. ...
    In August, 1950, about 3,000 spectators watched the American import and fellow rookies join veterans in a split-squad practice. Crazy Legs made an immediate impression.
    “The husky halfback with the legs only slightly smaller than a dray horse’s ripped up a scrimmage in such startling fashion that even coach Frank Clair was seen to smile for the first time in two weeks,” reported Hal Walker of The Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/argos-crazy-legs-set-rushing-records/article15474879/?page=all

Commented Argonauts Football Operations Consultant and former teammate, Nick Volpe, "On the field, Ulysses was one of the best natural runners I have ever seen. His nickname, "Crazy Legs", came to be because, when he ran, his knees would go so high that he would sometimes knock the ball out of his own hands! Off of the field, he was very quiet and very intelligent. My locker was beside his for a couple of years and I always enjoyed listening to his perspectives on life. He will be missed."
    A prolific runner, Curtis still holds a place in the Argos record books as one of the most productive running backs in the organization's 140-year history. He sits fourth all-time in Argonauts record books for career rushing yards with 3,712, a total the Albion, Michigan native accumulated in only 529 attempts for an average of seven (7.0) yards per carry. He also holds the second-best single-game rushing yards total in Argos history with 208 (behind Gill Fenerty, 215 in 1988), sits fourth all-time in career 100-yard rushing games with 12, and his 994 rushing yards in 1952 are still the tenth-most in a single season in team history.

http://argonauts.ca/article/argonaut...ulysses-curtis

Last edited by jerrym; 01-16-2014 at 12:38 AM.