Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    I find this all very strange. I know what Barker has said about the situation, but I have never seen such a dearth of signings and re-signings in all my decades of following the CFL. Here we are in February and absolutely none of the 10 ( now 9) soon to be free agents have signed. None of the vacant coaching positions ( other than DC Burke ) have been filled . Only 2 new additions have been signed to the team.
    It's almost as if everything is on hold pending the purchase/non-purchase by MLSE.
    I am sure that the complete lack of a training camp site and practice facility are on hold pending the sale. Where do the Argos train/practice if the MLSE deal falls through ?
    Does anyone else have this same feeling ?
    Has the SMS for this year been announced yet? Could be that is something that can have and affect on signings.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Has the SMS for this year been announced yet? Could be that is something that can have and affect on signings.
    No, my understanding is that a new SMS figure won't be announced until a new collective bargaining agreement is in place which likely won't happen until June. And, yes, that would likely have an effect on the dearth of re-signings so far although some teams like Calgary and Montreal have been a little more effective at getting some deals done.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I find this all very strange. I know what Barker has said about the situation, but I have never seen such a dearth of signings and re-signings in all my decades of following the CFL. Here we are in February and absolutely none of the 10 ( now 9) soon to be free agents have signed. None of the vacant coaching positions ( other than DC Burke ) have been filled . Only 2 new additions have been signed to the team.
    It's almost as if everything is on hold pending the purchase/non-purchase by MLSE.
    I am sure that the complete lack of a training camp site and practice facility are on hold pending the sale. Where do the Argos train/practice if the MLSE deal falls through ?
    Yes I was thinking the same thing the other day.
    Pretty quiet off season (a little too quiet IMO). Hopefully Barker and Milanovich clear up the assistant coaching situation soon!
    Starting to see some players re-sign with their teams, have had the vibe for a while that there will be even more personnel changes with the team than originally thought. Seem to be much less free agent college signings this off season than last, hopefully a case of quality over quantity this off season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think we should read much into the supposed lack of activity so far. It is normal for teams to sign new players but not announce them until later. Teams often calculate what other news they are up against and when they can maximize the exposure for their announcements. This would apply to returning FAs and new assistant coaches as well.

There is no completely "quiet" part of the off-season when it would be ideal to make announcements, but I personally don't see much value, in terms of publicity or ticket sales, in announcing a lot of signings at a time of year when there is no schedule and therefore no way to sell tickets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The problem with the off season .... we can think of different scenarios... like this.
    I was thinking similarly, that there hasn't been any movement pending purchase of the Argos. My next concern would be ..... would Lieweke tamper with the Argos GM position if he takes over? ..... didn't he do the same with TFC or the Raptors? ....

Practice facility ..... would they head to Guelph?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    The problem with the off season .... we can think of different scenarios... like this.
    I was thinking similarly, that there hasn't been any movement pending purchase of the Argos. My next concern would be ..... would Lieweke tamper with the Argos GM position if he takes over? ..... didn't he do the same with TFC or the Raptors? ....

Practice facility ..... would they head to Guelph?
    Lieweke had a reason to tamper with the GM positions of the Raptors and FC because they were both awful teams. He has little reason to do so with the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO, the Argos' power rating is trending downward, and I'm concerned (although there's several months of offseason left). We'll see what's what come training camp. Did I say that I'm concerned?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    IMO, the Argos' power rating is trending downward, and I'm concerned (although there's several months of offseason left). We'll see what's what come training camp. Did I say that I'm concerned?
    The lack of any news regarding player signings should be somewhat alarming (sale or not), seems some other teams are being pro-active in locking up some of their key guys, while I'm sure Barker is working at it don't be surprised to see some guys like McCune and Watkins play elsewhere this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Interesting interview with Barker in the National Post: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...f-season-plan/

He may be more active in free agency than he has been in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The lack of any news regarding player signings should be somewhat alarming (sale or not), seems some other teams are being pro-active in locking up some of their key guys, while I'm sure Barker is working at it don't be surprised to see some guys like McCune and Watkins play elsewhere this season.
    Again, why are so many people assuming that a lack of announcements equals a lack of signings or activity? There is nothing that requires any signing to be announced immediately. It is entirely possible that some of our free agents have been re-signed but not announced. It is not only possible but I would say probable that we have signed a number of new players but not announced those signings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    ............ It is not only possible but I would say probable that we have signed a number of new players but not announced those signings.
    No sooner than you said this ........ I read on twitter

#Argos add...
    WR @DBelcher88:
    P/K @JoshJasper30:
    DE PaiPai Falemalu:

http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/6...mpaign=twitter

http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/5...mpaign=twitter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Just on the basis of his name alone - much like with SirVincent Rogers - you hope that Falemalu can make the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Again, why are so many people assuming that a lack of announcements equals a lack of signings or activity? There is nothing that requires any signing to be announced immediately. It is entirely possible that some of our free agents have been re-signed but not announced. It is not only possible but I would say probable that we have signed a number of new players but not announced those signings.
    I'm sure if they have signed any of their own free agents it would have been announced.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    In Belchers case he has not played football in two years after getting dismissed from Indiana. He had some good stats and is a tall receiver. One of the things I love about the CFL that year after year players with a past are given an opportunity to play pro ball at a high level.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    In Belchers case he has not played football in two years after getting dismissed from Indiana. He had some good stats and is a tall receiver. One of the things I love about the CFL that year after year players with a past are given an opportunity to play pro ball at a high level.
    I never understood how guys with a criminal record get into Canada. I always thought players with a past would be inadmissible to entering the country.

"According to a Bloomington Police Department release, the 24-year-old Belcher has admitted to an Oct. 30 robbery on North Walnut Street in Bloomington. The release said the robbery was set up as a marijuana buy, but the purported buyer (Belcher) pulled out a gun and robbed about 4 ounces of marijuana from the dealer."
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    No sooner than you said this ........ I read on twitter

#Argos add...
    WR @DBelcher88:
    P/K @JoshJasper30:
    DE PaiPai Falemalu:

http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/5...mpaign=twitter

Like the earlier signing these guys were legitimate first team players in Div I football. Belcher was rated 1st Team All Conference in his Senior year before he messed up. Jasper was a better field goal kicker than a punter. 3rd Team All Conference. (Hopefully Waters is resigned). Falemalu was 3rd Team All Conference Mountain West.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I'm sure if they have signed any of their own free agents it would have been announced.
    I'm not. As I said above, why throw announcements out there randomly when there are no tickets to sell yet and lots of other sports to compete with for attention? It's entirely possible they haven't re-signed their FAs -- if I was one of them, I would definitely wait to see the market rate for my services before deciding where to play -- but it is not out of the question IMO that some have quietly been re-signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not. As I said above, why throw announcements out there randomly when there are no tickets to sell yet and lots of other sports to compete with for attention? It's entirely possible they haven't re-signed their FAs -- if I was one of them, I would definitely wait to see the market rate for my services before deciding where to play -- but it is not out of the question IMO that some have quietly been re-signed.
    Hopefully you are right Paul, next week will be very interesting for sure!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    2014 Free Agent Forecast: Toronto Argonauts

http://www.cfl.ca/article/2014-free-...onto-argonauts

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Watkins has gone AWOL. Waters, Rempel and Xander Robinson had NFL opportunities (kind of surprised). Something at York may be done regarding practice facility?

"I don't believe in building through free agency."
    Argos general manager Jim Barker uttered those words during an interview with TSN 1050 radio just prior to the CFL's annual free agent frenzy.

If you turn back the clock Barker is true to his word. Last February the only free agent the team added was LB/DE James Yurichuk. He proved his worth as a situational player who excelled on special teams, but it was far from being the kind of deal that captured the attention of more than just the die-hard fan.
    This may be a similar season in terms of who the Argos bring in according to Barker.

"I do believe in plugging holes (via free agency) and trying to find that right guy that's going to bring our club up a notch," Barker noted.

The bigger question may be what the club does about three specific players who may opt to not return to Toronto, Pat Watkins, Robert McCune and Swayze Waters.

Watkins, a league all-star at cornerback last year, would be the toughest to replace. He's also been the hardest to find.

"Honestly we have not been able to get in touch with him. He doesn't return our calls, which is a bad thing," chuckled Barker. "If a guy doesn't want to be in Toronto then god bless him and good luck. We're persistent. We're sending players to his house, doing all those kind of things to try and run him down. But Pat is one of those guys who is very elusive. It's not a shocking development for us. It's possible he's just involved in something and not worried about it."

Swayze Waters led the CFL in punting average and was virtually automatic on field goals down the stretch and is looking at returning to the states.

"He's tried out for a couple of NFL teams," Barker told TSN 1050. "Every indication he's given us is that he's coming back to Toronto if he comes back to the CFL."

The Argos are preparing for the scenario where Waters makes an NFL team, and last week signed LSU grad Josh Jasper.

Robert McCune's worth was evident in the team's loss to Hamilton in the Eastern Final. The middle linebacker, who was third in the league with 99 tackles, missed the game with a shoulder injury. It seemed every time Henry Burris scrambled, he ran right where McCune would have been.

"With Robert we're kind of waiting," said the GM. "Obviously Robert had a great year for us. He's 34 years old. That's a decision that we're in the process of making, to which direction we're going to go with him."

If the Argos and McCune were to part ways it would leave the team down a couple of middle linebackers, as Jason Pottinger was selected by Ottawa in the expansion draft. Barker has a replacement all picked out, someone who may not be thought of as an MLB.

"Shane Horton. That's his natural position." Barker said, then may have tipped his hand about McCune's future. "(Horton) played out of position playing rush end last year. He's going to be a very, very good middle linebacker."

Barker added he feels that at 215 pounds, Horton is big enough to play in the middle. Herve Tonye-Tonye, a non-import who just completed his rookie season, can also play the inside.

As far as non-imports are concerned, it may be an interesting free agency period because of the recent expansion draft. Stocking the Ottawa RedBlacks took its toll on the existing teams' rosters, so there will be a desire to restock the shelves with fresh talent.

Barker commented on a few of the Canadians on the Argos that are on the verge of free agency.

Chad Rempel, long snapper: "Chad worked out with Tampa Bay (NFL). He wants to give that a chance until that's exhausted."

Zander Robinson, tight end/fullback: "Zander loves being in Toronto and loves how we've used him in the offence. He's a valuable guy for us, but he's also exploring NFL opportunities."

David Lee, defensive end: "Is a guy that had a real good year for us. I think he wants to try the free-agent market. It's his first time going through that and I think he's a guy that wants to go out and see what the market is all about."

Mike Bradwell, wide receiver. "I think we're really close. He loves being in Toronto."

Coaching Moves/Tryout Camp:

The Boatmen lost several coaches in the off-season. Special teams coordinator Mike O'Shea left to become the head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, while defensive coordinator Chris Jones took over the head coaching job with the Edmonton Eskimos. Jones also took a handful of assistant coaches with him. Barker says there will be announcement about the new-look staff in the immediate future.

"We're excited about what our staff is going to look like" said Barker. "Scott (head coach Milanovich) will be announcing those (soon). He's come up with a couple of guys who have great CFL experience.”

Barker spoke to TSN 1050 from Atlanta, where the Argos were hosting a tryout camp. Over 60 players were in attendance and Barker was happy with what they found.

"There were two players that we're going to attempt to sign" said the GM. "We're pretty excited."

If those players head north in June they'll attend training camp. Where that will be is still anyone's guess. The team will not be back at the University of Toronto's Erindale campus and at present are homeless. Where are they heading?

"Those are questions for (Executive Chairman and CEO) Chris Rudge. "I know that there's some different things going on with York University," said Barker. "Other than that, I'm not privy to those things.”

Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.