Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or the Argos trade their perennial all-star QB for a bunch of unknowns, keep Collaros who doesn't pan out as the starter and we are the laughing stock of the CFL.
    Risk either way, but I am willing to bet from what he showed and some of it of the brilliance variety, he may be the real deal.
    Something similar, it reminds me how Eric Tillman as the Riders GM traded Joseph to us and gave the reigns to the up and coming Darian Durant.
    That worked out just fine for the Riders and horribly for us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Risk either way, but I am willing to bet from what he showed and some of it of the brilliance variety, he may be the real deal.
    Something similar, it reminds me how Eric Tillman as the Riders GM traded Joseph to us and gave the reigns to the up and coming Darian Durant.
    That worked out just fine for the Riders and horribly for us.
    Sorry
    We'll disagree on this one, Ray is still the premier QB in the CFL, I'd keep him around. On the flip side Collaros is very promising but no guarantee to be a long time all-star.
    As for the trade mentioned above Kerry Joseph is and never was in Ray's league period!!
    I'm also willing to say that one of Harris and or Portis will be fine as Rickey's backup. Have absolutely no issues with how Barker handled this situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    it reminds me how Eric Tillman as the Riders GM traded Joseph to us and gave the reigns to the up and coming Darian Durant.
    Or maybe how Tillman got rid of the proven star in Ricky Ray and gave the reins to the up-and-coming Steven Jyles.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Barker wanted a 1st Rd draft pick for Collaros' rights but it was too rich for any team to bite.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Not surprised at all with how this has all played out.
    My sources are telling me that Collaros is in Hamilton having most of his teeth extracted for the upcoming press conference.
    When will I learn to stop drinking my soft drink while reading some of these posts....there goes another keyboard.

Perhaps the greatest post ever!!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So it's a given that ZC will be as good a replacement QB in the CFL as Rodgers and Luck are in the NFL?
    I never said that. I said their GMs faced a similar situation that Barker did. Those guys had no guarantees that Rodgers or Luck would pan out at all. But they took the chance and rolled the dice and dumped their great but aging QBs. That's where the courage comes into play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    No one can predict the future so I won't go into the "Zach was the future" debate. I'll just sit back and watch the Colts win the Super Bowl on Sunday.
    I understand some people are geared for instant gratification, and others prefer to plan for the future. But when it comes to Manning vs. Luck, talk to me in five years. And then the five years after that. Then we'll have a better idea if it was a good decision to dump Peyton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

And why do you want to write off Harris? - he's looked good in some playing time but hasn't got the opportunity that Collaros has so far; he has as good or better a college ball resume IMO
    You must be joking Ovie. Collaros shared QB duties on a team that went to a BCS game. Harris played on a Div II team whose stadium holds 5,000 people, and who plays universities such as Kutztown (!) and Mercyhurst.

I followed Collaros' career in college. Back then he often came into a game in relief, and he had a knack of coming up with big plays when the game was on the line, whether it was passing or scrambling.

And he's done exactly the same thing in the CFL -- playing his best when the game is on the line. It's a rare, intangible quality that he seems to have.

Now, having said that, i'm not anointing him the next Flutie, or Russ Jackson or Moon. It's too early for that. I believe he needs another season of mentoring and learning before he's ready to start. But I am saying he has more potential upside than any young QB who's come to the CFL since maybe Ricky Ray himself. IMO.

And I sure hope we kick his ungrateful ass all over the field next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    For that kind of money, there was no way we were going to re-sgin him. I hope he does well but not against the Argos. I guess we did finally develop a quarterback, except we didn't get to keep him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You must be joking Ovie. Collaros shared QB duties on a team that went to a BCS game. Harris played on a Div II team whose stadium holds 5,000 people, and who plays universities such as Kutztown (!) and Mercyhurst.

I followed Collaros' career in college. Back then he often came into a game in relief, and he had a knack of coming up with big plays when the game was on the line, whether it was passing or scrambling.

And he's done exactly the same thing in the CFL -- playing his best when the game is on the line. It's a rare, intangible quality that he seems to have.

Now, having said that, i'm not anointing him the next Flutie, or Russ Jackson or Moon. It's too early for that. I believe he needs another season of mentoring and learning before he's ready to start. But I am saying he has more potential upside than any young QB who's come to the CFL since maybe Ricky Ray himself. IMO.

And I sure hope we kick his ungrateful ass all over the field next year.

Obviously - you have way more faith in all-american DI hero football resumes that I do. I could care less how many fans a guy played before in college ball or if he gets Sports Illustrated write-ups. I guess you believe all the mediocre import receivers in the CFL out of DI ball are way better than Andy Fantuz or Andre Durie? Did you even look at Harris' college ball resume ? -starter from a rookie on thru and put up outstanding passing #s. Ever heard of Jerrel Freeman - DII player who was great defensive player in the CFL before he went on to be a top NFL defensive player too? I guess you figured Steven Jyles or Chet Lemon types would be way better CFL QBs than Dave Dickinson?

Your awe struck rating of Collaros is so noted here. I think he is a very impressive young QB too by what i have seen of him in the CFL; how did he fare in the NFL draft out of that mighty Cincinatti program? More potential than any CFL QB in a long-time, eh? Well, maybe but i believe Harris or LeFevour (who did make an NFL roster out of college ball) have as much potential if not more - but i go by on field playing evidence. And he's way better than Durant or BC's or the Esks' young starting CFL QBs is he? Collaros has a couple of very good CFL games under his belt; we shall see how he fares in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I never said that. I said their GMs faced a similar situation that Barker did. Those guys had no guarantees that Rodgers or Luck would pan out at all. But they took the chance and rolled the dice and dumped their great but aging QBs. That's where the courage comes into play.
    Tillman also showed courage when he traded Ricky Ray for Steven Jyles. Peter Pocklington showed courage when he traded/sold a "diminishing asset" named Gretzky. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm happy to have kept the proven commodity, still just 34 years old, over the unproven 25-year-old with great potential. If the latter turns out to be as good as he seems he might become, this decision might end up being a mistake. If the former keeps playing at his current level, it likely won't. And again, Collaros is locked into the Ticats for just three years, so if he's as great as you think he will be, we can go after him when his contract expires.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So long to Zach.... its been a slice... you were fun to watch.
    Personally I think he made a good decision with the Ticats. He needs some training still, so I think Austin is the better coach for his development than Bellefeuille. I don't like that he went to our crosstown rivals... but it will be definitely good for the CFL.
    ITs true with the the contract he settled, he couldn't afford to stay with the Argos for another year of training.

For my health , Ray is much better for my blood pressure than Collaros so I'm in the Ray boat on that choice.... actually, yes its a shame we couldn't keep Zach as the backup, but in my opinion there was no choice,........ Ray all the way!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    One thing that IMO should be made clear is that football, more than any other sport is tough to build a team for a future 3 + years down the road. Football players on average have the shortest career span of any of the major sports, and with non guaranteed contracts and true free agency ahd salary caps, there is no telling what personnel any team will have 2 or more years down the road. For that reason alone, it's a no brainer that Ray is the guy to go forward with.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    With trading Ricky we would have and likely received a player and a draft choice.
    Now we get nada, on top of which this could have major ramifications for years to come.
    Yeah that worked out well for Edmonton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post

For my health , Ray is much better for my blood pressure than Collaros so I'm in the Ray boat on that choice....
    That is on Barker's top priority list of decision-making.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    That is on Barker's top priority list of decision-making.

Strictly based on the excitement factor or mere, there is no doubt Zach wins hands down.
    The old Flutie type magician and making something out of nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Did you even look at Harris' college ball resume ?
    You're underestimating how important the quality and prestige of the school program looks on a "resume". What looks better on a resume: an A in communications from McGill, or an A+ in communications from Sheridan College? (no offence to SC)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And again, Collaros is locked into the Ticats for just three years, so if he's as great as you think he will be, we can go after him when his contract expires.
    I think we can be reasonably certain that Diamond Jimmy Barker has already planted this seed with Collaros. There are certain "perks" available in Toronto that they can't offer in the Hammer. What a wild scenario that would be, at a time maybe when both the Cats and the Argos are experiencing a revival with sellouts at their respective stadiums?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    One thing that IMO should be made clear is that football, more than any other sport is tough to build a team for a future 3 + years down the road. Football players on average have the shortest career span of any of the major sports, and with non guaranteed contracts and true free agency ahd salary caps, there is no telling what personnel any team will have 2 or more years down the road.
    I agree you can't build for the future with a nucleus of players anymore for the reasons you described. But I think you CAN build for the future 3+ years down the line with one player: a great young QB. Anthony Calvillo and Tom Brady were once great young QBs who ended up keeping their teams near the top of their leagues for at least 15 years, despite near-complete roster turnover.

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    With the speed that it happened and the appearence that WPG wasnt even really considered by ZC surprised no one is crying about back door shenanigans.

Like Huff before him Austin shows how toxic Burris' salary or any other aging expensive veteran is when you have to address other areas of the team to get better. Salary cap is a two edged sword.

P.S. Welcome to Hamilton Zach !
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com