Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

CFL eCamp/combine 2014

So does anyone know when this will take place?

I've just noticed a couple of comments on twitter about ..... not getting an invite,..... and perhaps more players to the regionals first, then being invited to the main camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Scouting Bureau are coming out with their newest list today ..... So perhaps they will announce some dates.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Looks like the combine is March 21-23 ....

so if this is the top 15 at the moment ......

who would you pick?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hPzelKhDys...Jan-2014-2.jpg

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-scouti...inter-rankings
    Sorry I'm keeping my own thread alive..... I like looking at the up and coming players and hypothesizing who would be good for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Looks like the combine is March 21-23 ....

so if this is the top 15 at the moment ......

who would you pick?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hPzelKhDys...Jan-2014-2.jpg

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-scouti...inter-rankings
    Sorry I'm keeping my own thread alive..... I like looking at the up and coming players and hypothesizing who would be good for the Argos.
    A lot more to be told on this subject come CFL Combine time. The intitial CFL prospects lists are fine, but lots of top prospects are not on those lists and lots of change can happen come draft time.

I like to look at team needs rather than the standard - "just take the "best player"" stuff; Argos need help on D; maybe some RB competition; maybe another O-line top prospect.

Some good picks perhaps: DE Dylan Ainsworth (Western), DTs - Evan Gill (Manitoba) or Quinn Smith (Concordia) DBs Andrew Lue (Queens) or Antoine Pruneau (Montreal) (has played both DB and OLB); RBs Anthony Coombs (Manitoba) or Deschamps (UBC); Laval's repeat all-star C Pierre Lavertu - possible instant starter on the interior O-Line (at guard or maybe C with Keeping sliding to OG?).

There are some pretty decent LB and receiver prospects up this draft, but the Argos already have good NI depth at those positions IMO, so don't waste a draft pick on a guy who will be buried way down the TC depth chart with little chance to make it. Also a couple of top OT prospects in Duvernay-Tardiff (McGill - and at the US Shrine game and apparently already drawn some early NFL interest like Greenwood did = CFL teams be wary), and Mat Goosen (SFU), but again - the Argos should get Sewell in TC plus Tyler Holmes could be looked at for OT, so don't pick players (unless they are such blue-chips studs - like Duvernay-Tardiff perhaps but the NFL flight risk factor to be weighed) who will be buried way down your TC depth chart - draft for real areas of need is better IMO.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-16-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That all makes sense to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Watched a lot of that US Shrine all-star game today - featuring 2 CIS players - OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill) and Manitoba DT Evan Gill; Gill actually played at DE and curiously, the 2 CIS guys were matched-up against each other a lot of the time (doubt this was planned, but maybe?): Tardif handled Gill pretty well vs. pass rush seemed to me; Gill made a really nice play to sniff out a pass to a RB and make a tackle for a loss; Gill at 290 or so is going to be looked at as a CFL DT i'm pretty sure. D-Tardif seems quick and aggressive; he's also big, and put up some good testing #s a the CIS East-West game last spring = maybe one of the best CIS OT prospects in some time (O'Donnell and Sewell company but maybe better); might be a top/1st round type CFL draft pick, but that could change if he is viewed as a decent NFL prospect who might not show-up in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Watched a lot of that US Shrine all-star game today - featuring 2 CIS players - OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill) and Manitoba DT Evan Gill; Gill actually played at DE and curiously, the 2 CIS guys were matched-up against each other a lot of the time (doubt this was planned, but maybe?): Tardif handled Gill pretty well vs. pass rush seemed to me; Gill made a really nice play to sniff out a pass to a RB and make a tackle for a loss; Gill at 290 or so is going to be looked at as a CFL DT i'm pretty sure. D-Tardif seems quick and aggressive; he's also big, and put up some good testing #s a the CIS East-West game last spring = maybe one of the best CIS OT prospects in some time (O'Donnell and Sewell company but maybe better); might be a top/1st round type CFL draft pick, but that could change if he is viewed as a decent NFL prospect who might not show-up in the CFL.
    I recorded the Game to watch more closely later, but from the parts I did watch you covered it pretty good IMO. Duvernay-Tardiff looks pretty chisled with no gut like most of those 300 pounders. I think he could start as a Guard this season in the CFL, but will probably have to go the NFL route first.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    With Feoli-Gudino now gone to the Bombers - maybe the Argos will be thinking more NI receivers needed? - and address this via the draft?

4 CIS star receivers could be on the draft radar: Bailey (St-FX), Bastien (Concordia), Uren (Western), Fox (Bishops) - like to see the Argos get one of them and should be do-able with a 2nd round or later pick.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Remember the Argos still have Adjey from Buffalo.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Remember the Argos still have Adjey from Buffalo.

Did he even play at U Buffalo last season? - and if not - why / perhaps not a very good sign. Generally speaking, I think you want players coming out of college ball as accomplished/star type players or at least good starters there who can compete for a job in the pros. Good "athletes" with impressive testing #s might be able to make it too sometimes, I suppose.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Adjei had a leg injury that kept him off the field for most of last season, so he's a total unknown.

It looks like the regional combines will take place on March 17th, so we can look forward to some prospect news in the near future.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    If anyone else is doing a better job of posting timely draft-related news synopses, I've missed it. Rid's draft page is worth following.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    If anyone else is doing a better job of posting timely draft-related news synopses, I've missed it. Rid's draft page is worth following.
    Yeah - Rids is a real keener who provides good info - great work!; his prospect list is pretty sparse at this point, but lots more info should come out leading up to the CFL Combine and after results and news out of there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The regional and CFL Combine rosters are up on the CFL site.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As a Bishops Gaiter fan ..... 12 players from the Gaiters hitting the combines. Impressive for a small university.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/first-step...-2014-combines

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As of now - Argos still have their 1st & 2nd round picks (#s 6 and 15 overall), and then a bunch of mid to later round picks (#s 33, 36. 38, 42 plus later round picks).

I have no idea where / who they will be looking at; and I've given up trying to figure out or predict CFL draft thinking; but - my sort of wish list - given Argo roster needs and looking at this draft crop - with the first 2 picks: a D-lineman (DT or DE - a few decent prospects at each perhaps), and a DB (safety prospect who could back-up Gabriel or even compete for the starting job - as Mike Edem sure panned-out for the Als last year); and then with a mid round pick - take a receiver (pretty deep crop of good CIS receivers in this draft IMO - a sleeper might be U of T's Pirazchalski - a huge target slotback at 6-5, 220. DO NOT draft an O-Lineman with one of the first few picks just for the sake of CFL tendency to draft O-Lineman - when the Argos already have a good crop of experience and youth depth on the O-Line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd like a d-lineman and a DB and a receiver as well. But mostly I want them to take the best player available each time they are up. If that happens to be an o-lineman, so be it. You can always trade someone if you get too much depth at a position. I don't want them to reach past a better prospect in favour of filling a perceived position need, unless the two players are very closely ranked.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'd like a d-lineman and a DB and a receiver as well. But mostly I want them to take the best player available each time they are up. If that happens to be an o-lineman, so be it. You can always trade someone if you get too much depth at a position. I don't want them to reach past a better prospect in favour of filling a perceived position need, unless the two players are very closely ranked.

The whole - take the "best player", as CFL draft thinking, I have read that many times; but I am not sure what it means. I guess CFL teams could just rank all the top draftable players in an order - regardless of position - and just go strictly by that list/order; so when it is your turn to draft, you simply go by whoever is higher ranked on your master list ??? Guess that could work for some, but seems ultra simple and limited or myopic to me. Not sure why the Argos would even thinking of taking an O-Lineman with one of their top few picks this draft with the guys they already have on their roster - a mix of vets, young NIs like Holmes & Sewell, plus a few import O-lineman around, AND when they have precious little either of proven talent or depth, at other positions - like D-line. Draft another O-Lineman so the guy can sit on the PR or way down the depth chart with no chance of playing time, and then the guy gets po'd/ paid little and quits or leaves as a FA in a couple of years ? Also very amusing to me how CIS ball has an award - the Hec Creighton - that goes to most outstanding player (is that the same as "best player"?), and that sometimes/often goes to a QB; yet the CFL good old, er, scouts/GMs, who often like to chant "draft the best player" have little to no interest in that kind of best player ? Hilarious.

Drafting a super blue-chipper who you believe can come in and compete for a starting job right away is another matter - those types aren't that common though and will usually be gone in the first couple of rounds ... but the CFL draft has been quite affected by the NFL taking CFL draft blue chipper types the past while, so it's now a big risk = another factor.

The factor i would prefer to see them look at most is - who can we get who is most likely to help our team/roster - and sooner than later. Do smart scouting and have faith in the NI talent pool and you should be able to draft , with a top pick - almost always IMO - a player who can be a fit on your roster and contribute right away, and often become a top notch starter in a year or two to three max.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think the Argos are well stocked at NI DB.....remember Shane Herbert had a a strong camp last year before being injured in the first game of the season thus missing the entire campaign. He along with Gabriel and Black should be able to hold the fort there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think the Argos are well stocked at NI DB.....remember Shane Herbert had a a strong camp last year before being injured in the first game of the season thus missing the entire campaign. He along with Gabriel and Black should be able to hold the fort there.

Herbert might pan out as a good player; Gabriel and Black are there and like to see Black get a real shot to play his natural corner position - where the Argos have real need; I just think there are a few pretty good DBs up in this draft - like Lue (Queens) or Pruneau (Montreal), who might be able to compete for playing time on D - Lue is a big CIS all-star CB who could get converted to safety as well; Pruneau has made CIS all-star as both a D-half and OLB, so he could be a versatile guy who could fit in several spots, and maybe be a starter as a safety. IF - possibly, both Black and Gabriel could start in the Argo D-backfield, some more NI depth would be good there ?