Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Argos promote two young Canadian executives

http://www.cfl.ca/article/barker-unv...personnel-team

Rossetti is a former CIS QB as is Marc Mueller who has been hired as a defensive assistant by the Stamps. We are certainly seeing more Canadians advancing through the management ranks of the CFL these days and the Argos have certainly played a role in that.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    http://www.cfl.ca/article/barker-unv...personnel-team

Rossetti is a former CIS QB as is Marc Mueller who has been hired as a defensive assistant by the Stamps. We are certainly seeing more Canadians advancing through the management ranks of the CFL these days and the Argos have certainly played a role in that.
    Imagine that - some Canadians getting hired to some management positions in the Canadian Football League. Did they institute a ratio/quota there, cause surely Canadians, being so inferior at all things football, didn't really earn these "shots" ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Imagine that - some Canadians getting hired to some management positions in the Canadian Football League. Did they institute a ratio/quota there, cause surely Canadians, being so inferior at all things football, didn't really earn these "shots" ? ;o)
    can't find it within yourself to laud the promotions? to congratulate the two of them? to opine about the Argos and Barker having obviously put a focus on developing canadians both on and off the field?

you had to lead with snark... and always about the same old thing.

who are these imaginary posters who are always slagging canadian talent, i wonder... where are theses league execs and coaches who wouldn't love to have more NI players step up and establish themselves? who precisely are these shadowy figures known as the "old boys network" that get OV so worked up that it's all he can post about?
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    can't find it within yourself to laud the promotions? to congratulate the two of them? to opine about the Argos and Barker having obviously put a focus on developing canadians both on and off the field?

you had to lead with snark... and always about the same old thing.

who are these imaginary posters who are always slagging canadian talent, i wonder... where are theses league execs and coaches who wouldn't love to have more NI players step up and establish themselves? who precisely are these shadowy figures known as the "old boys network" that get OV so worked up that it's all he can post about?

I guess you didn't notice the smiley thing ? ;o)

And surely you are a long-time big CFL fan ? You never smelled anything a bit funny/fishy about CFL "content" before? You never heard media types or posters on various CFL fan forums bleating/whining about "ratio problems" or lack of Canadian talent in the CFL? You do realize that the CFL has moved to allow more import players on the rosters so that they now make up a majority of player content, or that a Canadian QB hasn't got to start a game in the CANADIAN Football League in something like 17 YEARS ? The CFL has promoted itself as "Radically Canadian", but I'm supposed to be thrilled that a couple of Canadians get hired to lower management in a Canadian league where the large majority of football decision making rests with Americans ?

Maybe it's just me noticing these things - sorry bout that.

And if you don't want to read opinions that are against the establishment, good ole boy grain, and just want to accept things as that's the way she goes / has to be - might be a good idea to avoid these type forums. You are free to rant or rave about whatever you like with regards to the CFL here, no ?

Last edited by OV Argo; 02-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I guess you didn't notice the smiley thing ? ;o)

And surely you are a long-time big CFL fan ? You never smelled anything a bit funny/fishy about CFL "content" before? You never heard media types or posters on various CFL fan forums bleating/whining about "ratio problems" or lack of Canadian talent in the CFL? You do realize that the CFL has moved to allow more import players on the rosters so that they now make up a majority of player content, or that a Canadian QB hasn't got to start a game in the CANADIAN Football League in something like 17 YEARS ? The CFL has promoted itself as "Radically Canadian", but I'm supposed to be thrilled that a couple of Canadians get hired to lower management in a Canadian league where the large majority of football decision making rests with Americans ?

Maybe it's just me noticing these things - sorry bout that.

And if you don't want to read opinions that are against the establishment, good ole boy grain, and just want to accept things as that's the way she goes / has to be - might be a good idea to avoid these type forums. You are free to rant or rave about whatever you like with regards to the CFL here, no ?

"lower management". now it isn't enough to post further anti-canadian-conspiracy crap in a thread which should be celebrating the rise of two young men (locals no less) in our club... he has to denegrate a Director of Player Personnel as being "lower management".

all of my facepalm.

and no. i smell nothing "fishy" about CFL content. none of us do.

and yes, "ratio problems" do exist. ask Winnipeg who have a dearth of usable NI players despite being in the same draft as everyone else and having access to the same crop of NI players as other teams do every year. if it was easy to have excellent NI players filling roster spots, then (DUH!) everyone would have a dozen or so starter-level NI players. the fact that nobody (even the teams that have been most successfull at scouting/drafting/developing/trading-for NIs) has that many is SELF-BLEEPING-EVIDENT that there can be "ratio problems"... and no amount of you putting that in quotations will make it "fishy".

and if by "against the establishment", you actually mean Alex Jones level full-on tinfoil hat level shouting at people that, only you see the real conspiracy and that everyone else are sheep who just don't see the big picture like you... then yeah... you're posting "against the establishment".

the good old boys network do not approve of your post trying to subvert the dominant paradigm. the men in black have been dispatched for the reprogramming of OV. normal service will now resume.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    "lower management". now it isn't enough to post further anti-canadian-conspiracy crap in a thread which should be celebrating the rise of two young men (locals no less) in our club... he has to denegrate a Director of Player Personnel as being "lower management".

all of my facepalm.

and no. i smell nothing "fishy" about CFL content. none of us do.

and yes, "ratio problems" do exist. ask Winnipeg who have a dearth of usable NI players despite being in the same draft as everyone else and having access to the same crop of NI players as other teams do every year. if it was easy to have excellent NI players filling roster spots, then (DUH!) everyone would have a dozen or so starter-level NI players. the fact that nobody (even the teams that have been most successfull at scouting/drafting/developing/trading-for NIs) has that many is SELF-BLEEPING-EVIDENT that there can be "ratio problems"... and no amount of you putting that in quotations will make it "fishy".

and if by "against the establishment", you actually mean Alex Jones level full-on tinfoil hat level shouting at people that, only you see the real conspiracy and that everyone else are sheep who just don't see the big picture like you... then yeah... you're posting "against the establishment".

the good old boys network do not approve of your post trying to subvert the dominant paradigm. the men in black have been dispatched for the reprogramming of OV. normal service will now resume.
    OK then - sorry bout that again; your types only like to hear the truth and everybody with a different opinion must be some sort of "conspiracy" theory nut-case - at least that's the standard bleat to try to discredit the horrible, so wrong naysayers; whatever pal.

And again too - you are free as a bird here to post all sorts of glowing tributes to the CFL; and I'd probably agree with a lot of it; but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if I didn't. Why don't you post a thoughtful rebuke to my opinion, citing all sorts of evidence of how the CFL is so wonderfully and radically canadian? "Self-bleeping evident" my arse, chum.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    OK then - sorry bout that again; your types only like to hear the truth and everybody with a different opinion must be some sort of "conspiracy" theory nut-case - at least that's the standard bleat to try to discredit the horrible, so wrong naysayers; whatever pal.

And again too - you are free as a bird here to post all sorts of glowing tributes to the CFL; and I'd probably agree with a lot of it; but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if I didn't. Why don't you post a thoughtful rebuke to my opinion, citing all sorts of evidence of how the CFL is so wonderfully and radically canadian? "Self-bleeping evident" my arse, chum.
    yeah... see, that's not how debate works.

i made an assertion that it was self evident that it isn't all easy-peasy to have an abundant supply of NI talent and i backed that assertion up with proof (to wit: no team has a dozen starter-level NIs).

your job at that point is (if you disagree) to tear down my assertion with superior proof or flaws in mine... not to say "my arse" and demand proof.

forum debating... you're doing it wrong.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    yeah... see, that's not how debate works.

i made an assertion that it was self evident that it isn't all easy-peasy to have an abundant supply of NI talent and i backed that assertion up with proof (to wit: no team has a dozen starter-level NIs).

your job at that point is (if you disagree) to tear down my assertion with superior proof or flaws in mine... not to say "my arse" and demand proof.

forum debating... you're doing it wrong.

You might like to assume that CFL teams are faced with rampant "ratio problems" and have trouble finding 7 or more good NI starters; and that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But just because most CFL teams "start" only 7 or 8 NIs and prefer to hand playing time to imports, doesn't automatically mean there is this big lack of Canadian talent - it's an assumption and cliche that gets repeated ad nauseum by media types and on CFL fan forums. Next time you see a CFL team starting a dozen or so NIs and those players and that team failing miserably, let me know will ya? All CFL teams have 17 or more great or even solid starting imports do they? - funny then i never hear any condescending comments about the "import problem" CFL teams face?

IF - you wish to discuss any particular CFL team's roster and focus on their NI talent - just let me know, and I'll offer some opinions.

As for the current Argo roster: I think i can name a good number of potential very decent starting NIs: Durie & Watt or Bradwell at receiver; Keeping, Holmes, Van Zeyl, maybe Scott Mitchell (2nd overall CFL draft pick in 2011), Kyle Koch (multi year starter for the Esks) or Matt Sewell (8th overall draft pick last year) on the O-Line; on D - Shea Emry at MLB; Laing at DT; Gabriel at safety; Matt Black at corner. Argos could easily go with 10 NI starters or so IMO. And the team that won the GC last season started / gave playing time to more NIs than any other CFL team. Where is this big "ratio problem" ? - name the specific team and lacking players involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The CFL has promoted itself as "Radically Canadian", but I'm supposed to be thrilled that a couple of Canadians get hired to lower management in a Canadian league where the large majority of football decision making rests with Americans ?
    I disagree with you about these being "lower management" positions. Rossetti's, in particular, is not as he may very well be in position within a few years to be a general manager. Also, there are now four Canadian general managers in the league which is almost half of the league's GMs and others like Rossetti, Ted Goveia and Miles Gorrell may be the next candidates depending on how they do in their current positions. Things have definitely progressed over the last decade in this regard.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I disagree with you about these being "lower management" positions. Rossetti's, in particular, is not as he may very well be in position within a few years to be a general manager. Also, there are now four Canadian general managers in the league which is almost half of the league's GMs and others like Rossetti, Ted Goveia and Miles Gorrell may be the next candidates depending on how they do in their current positions. Things have definitely progressed over the last decade in this regard.

Yes Ravi _ Rosetti getting promoted to director of player personnel is hardly lower management - and it was a rapid rise and I hope it works out well for him and the Argos.

And we shall see if there is this "progress" continued.

IF you included GM, HC and all the coaching positions in the league, and director or player personnel - as the key football decision making positions in the CFL - approx. what percentage are held by Canadians ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Actually, it does look like the CFL has a focus on hiring more Canadians ...... A number of teams this off season have added CIS coaches or CIS players to their coaching/management teams. .... Bombers being the most obvious. The ALS have added a coach or two from the Q, the Stamps have added Mueller to their coaching staff . These are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Considering Canada has under 30 Universities playing football the number of front office and coaches (including co-ordinators), I feel the number is respectable on CFL staffs. Not realistic to expect Canadian trained football people to outnumber or equal Americans when there are literally hundreds of schools preparing men for various careers in the sport.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I would also look at the progression in numbers of Canadians on coaching staffs and management over the last two decades. OV likely had a much more valid complaint two decades ago and maybe even as recently as one decade ago but the trend has definitely been going in the right direction with respect to Canadians in coaching and management positions. These kinds of things don't tend to change overnight. The CFL was also quite slow in having visible minorities in coaching and management as well but that situation has improved considerably since Roy Shivers got the GM position in Saskatchewan in 2000.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OV likely had a much more valid complaint two decades ago
    Ya, good luck trying to convince OV that it isn't 1984.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Ya, good luck trying to convince OV that it isn't 1984.
    Is that you George, er, Big Brother ? ;o)