New Fan
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level

Argos Second in the League with 17 players from NCAA Power 5

https://cflunderground.wordpress.com...es-in-the-cfl/

I just conducted a study on how many former NCAA power 5 conference players currently are playing in the CFL, and the Argonauts surprisingly came second.
    Do you guys think that having a player from a major school opposed to a mid-major or division II school makes a difference?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Makes no difference where they play. We've all seen before how guys from smaller schools outperform players from the Major schools. Hell, Jerry Rice, statistically the best receiver in NFL history didn't even play 1A ball, but rather for 1AA Mississippi Valley State (where former short term Argo Willie "Satellite" Totten was throwing to him).
    It's us vs the rest of the country

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree and know that just because a guy comes from a big school doesn't mean he is going to be a superstar. I am wondering moreso if the CFL can attract fans from down south by attracting some big name players who played ball at some of the most popular schools in the NCAA. It gives the league a little more street cred in the States if we have guys playing who also played at Auburn or Miami, and in turn the more players who come from big schools, the bigger the network gets because they all know a player or two I am sure who is still looking for a shot to play football. I understand talent wise it does not really make a difference although it's not a secret that you have to be a hell of a football player to play in the SEC or Big 10, but does it help the image of the league I guess I should have asked. It also applies to casual NCAA/NFL fans in Canada who spit on the CFL because we have "lesser" talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Personally, I say no. It may help with the casual fan, but I doubt it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwmc View Post
    It gives the league a little more street cred in the States
    WOW.....this is the same stupid argument Paul Godfrey made for YEARS while fawning for an NFL franchise.

The Athlete in the CFL v NFL is different, not better, nor worse. That said the pay scale has NO barring on the athletic ability.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    I am not talking about getting a NFL franchise for Canada, nor saying that the talent in the NFL is not comparable to the CFL. I think you're missing the point that I am moreso talking about attracting casual fans to the league who can eventually be turned into hardcore fans. If a big NCAA fan in Florida turns on a CFL game and sees that a guy played at Florida, or Florida St, automatically it'll likely peak his interest, moreso than if he sees a guy who played at Alcorn St.

My argument isn't even close to being that the NFL is far superior but rather the talent level is nearly the same, and you're exactly right what makes a great athlete in the NFL sometimes doesn't make for a great one in the CFL, but I do think that a casual fan in Canada or the States who tunes in and sees guys who played at major schools in the NCAA where big name stars in NFL come from as well, it definitely gives the league more street cred. Once you have their attention and they see the quality of play across the board, that's when you set the line and hook em.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This theory only applies to Americans. It's the reason the CFL gets decent TV numbers down South. People love to see how their alma matter, relative or friend are doing in the CFL. The casual Canadian CFL fan has no clue and does not care where players played in college. The more knowledgable CFL fan would know where a lot of players played ball, but are more excited and care far more where the Canadians played, as many have ties with Cdn universities.

Besides, like others mentioned, the most popular CFL players came from small colleges. Flutie and Pinball for example. I would even consider the theory that coming straight from a big college program is a negative to success in the CFL. Too many think they are to good for the CFL, talent or ego wise, and often fail.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    That's fair enough I do see what you're getting at. I do think however there are a lot of casual NCAA football fans in Canada as well who follow big time schools down South who also may be interested, but you are right it mostly applies to Americans.

I would counter for every player you can name who went to a small time school you could come up with a guy who came from a mid-major or power 5 school. The depth chart I put together was better than I thought it'd be to be honest. Also Flutie went to Boston College which I'm not sure is really a small program, they are currently a part of the ACC but maybe they weren't as big when he played? Too young to remember.

Regardless I thought it was an interesting breakdown, I did not think there would be 100+ players from the power 5 in the CFL.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder how much of it is due to scouting? Easier to scout the bigger schools, more contacts withing the scouting pipeline etc. Then it`s up to the teams to select players they think can contribute regardless if a 5 star recruit or not. I sometimes do wonder how on earth teams know a player exists playing in a really small school like Trevor Harris. Who would ever think to go look at a QB playing in Edinboro.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.