Thread: Argo Sale

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Still not going to be 100 per cent satisfied until the announcement is officially made. Who knows what curveballs may come.

I love this team. It manages to achieve victory in hilariously absurd ways both on and off the field. Against all odds, they stumble to greatness time and time again while I continue to lose years off my life from all the heart
    That's called the Argo bounce. Its been used as both a positive and negative euphemism for both lucky and unlucky things to happen to the club. It was at one time strictly positive, but became also negative during the Argos long cup drought. We got a lucky Argo bounce today (tomorrow).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    BMO will look great draped In Double Blue. Should be pretty cool. wonder what tix prices will be now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    BMO will look great draped In Double Blue. Should be pretty cool. wonder what tix prices will be now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

even the Canadian flag is blue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Of course when mentioning the sale this morning Dean Blundell was putting down the Argonauts and the CFL on the FAN590 morning show...

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Of course when mentioning the sale this morning Dean Blundell was putting down the Argonauts and the CFL on the FAN590 morning show...
    So was Blair, who said very briefly in his intro that "Larry Tannenbaum and David Braley were in a room working on a thirty-thousand dollar transaction." I feel sorry for these guys. For whatever reason, the Rogers people are just sad and bitter about this whole thing. We can expect, going forward, for things to be the same towards the CFL from Rogers and its employees-- disrespectful, neglectful, and insulting. Oh well, its their loss. I always say that people take sports way too seriously. The one thing I love about the Argos and the CFL is that it is so much FUN, and will be even more so going to a great, intimate venue!

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    What a bunch of asshats. How can people listen to that drivel?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    One of the funniest things I have seen is Rogers employees like Damian Cox falling over themselves to congratulate Arash Madani on being the first to report this sale a few days ago when David Naylor and Rick Westhead broke the story about Tanenbaum and Bell teaming up two weeks ago. Madani, himself, is saying (wishing?) how bad it would be if the Mike Babcock announcement happens at the same time as the Argo one because it is a much bigger story.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Who is this Dean Blundell you speak of?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    One of the funniest things I have seen is Rogers employees like Damian Cox falling over themselves to congratulate Arash Madani on being the first to report this sale a few days ago when David Naylor and Rick Westhead broke the story about Tanenbaum and Bell teaming up two weeks ago. Madani, himself, is saying (wishing?) how bad it would be if the Mike Babcock announcement happens at the same time as the Argo one because it is a much bigger story.
    Technically Naylor broke the story over a year ago.
    http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=37941.0
    ARGO SALE TO MLSE OR TANENBAUM - By David Naylor

The Toronto Argonauts could be sold within a matter of weeks, either to Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment or its chairman, Larry Tanenbaum, according to multiple sources.

Talks between David Braley and MLSE have heated up in recent months to the point that the MLSE board, which includes Tanenbaum as well as representatives from Bell and Rogers, was asked to vote during December on acquiring the CFL team.

While the board could not agree on the matter, there remains the possibility that MLSE could revisit buying the team or that Tanenbaum himself may purchase it.

An Argo purchase by MLSE or Tanenbaum makes potential sense from both ends of the deal.

From the Argos perspective, the team is in desperate need of a new practice facility, having been told by the University of Toronto that its Mississauga campus can no longer house the football team. With three months until the opening of CFL training camps, a sale would presumably open the door to the Argos taking up residence at the KIA Training Ground, the practice home of Toronto FC which includes three full-size grass fields, four artificial fields and a 40,000 square foot field house in Downsview.

Being sold to Tanenbaum or MLSE would make the Argos part of the plan for a redesigned BMO Field, thus solving their need to build a new home from scratch when they vacate Rogers Centre after the 2017 season.

MLSE president and CEO Tim Lieweke has stated several times in recent months that the Argos could factor into future plans at BMO, a position in stark contrast to that of his predecessors, who saw the facility as soccer-only.

From the perspective of Tanenbaum or MLSE, owning the Argos could be a chip towards the goal of securing a National Football League team, based on the NFL wanting assurance that moving a team to Toronto would not kill the Argos or the CFL.

“(Tanenbaum) has always had an affection for them,” said former MLSE president and CEO Richard Peddie. “Everything I’m hearing is that that the NFL is telling them that if you want an NFL team, you better make sure the Argos are okay. I don’t think it’s out of the realm that he may do it.”

As well, having the Argos as a second tenant at BMO Field could help MLSE’s drive to secure investment from government to redevelop the stadium, which is a publicly-owned facility operated by MLSE exclusively for soccer at this time.

“I’ve got to believe that they’re thinking of the Argos in that facility,” said Peddie. “Can you design a stadium with moveable sections and not lose the intimacy? Yes, you probably can.”

The Argonauts are currently owned by Hamilton businessman David Braley, who has been exploring options for a new stadium in the Greater Toronto Area in recent months.

Though the Argonauts are believed to have consistently lost money at Rogers Centre, it is believed their business model could continue to improve with the right arrangement at BMO, combined with increased revenues from the CFL’s new television deal which kicks in this season.

This isn’t the first time MLSE has looked at a potential Argo purchase. The Argos had been offered up to MLSE when the team was owned by David Cynamon and Howard Sololowski, who sold to David Braley in February of 2010.

However, the ownership of MLSE and many of the dynamics within the city's professional sports scene have changed since those days, most notably with Lieweke’s arrival and the notion of trying to land an NFL team.

In November, reports surfaced of Tanenbaum and rock star Jon Bon Jovi teaming up to pursue a future relocation of the Buffalo Bills to Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Who is this Dean Blundell you speak of?
    I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic but just in case you're not he's the new morning show host on the FAN590. He used to be the morning show host on 102.1 The Edge before he was fired for making racist comments on air.

Man I miss Landry & Stelick!

Press Conference is Today at 1:30 PM from BMO Field and it will be carried live by TSN and TSN1050.

I wonder if the FAN590 will carry it live too?
    Last edited by Neely2005; 05-20-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic but just in case you're not he's the new morning show host on the FAN590. He used to be the morning show host on 102.1 The Edge before he was fired for making racist comments on air.

Press Conference is Today at 1:30 PM from BMO Field and it will be carried live by TSN and TSN1050.

First if was John Derringer & Pat Marsden....then Landry & Stellick followed by Mike Hogan in the Bullpen....being single back in the day, those were my mornings when I was not working.... Fan590 has been dead to me for years....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, but honestly have not listened to the 590 morning show since day 1 of TSN 1050. I was unaware of the racist comments he made. Incredible that a company as big as Rogers would hire someone with such baggage, but I guess they fancy themselves as being edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill
    First if was John Derringer & Pat Marsden....then Landry & Stellick followed by Mike Hogan in the Bullpen....being single back in the day, those were my mornings when I was not working.... Fan590 has been dead to me for years....
    Please, don't remind me of Derringer. The fan went downhill the minute they hired that clown. Sadly his brother and nephew work at 1050 (Brian Hayes being his nephew and I can't stand his too cool for the room attitude). The last good thing 590 had left was Tim and Sid and they replace them with Brady..the whole station is unlistenable..if that is in fact a word.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    enough of this talk about Rogers guys - it's a GREAT day to be an Arrrrrrrgooooooos fan! Enjoy it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Prices will definitely be increased .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyice View Post
    Prices will definitely be increased .

Hopefully not for existing Season Ticket holders, we just had a price increase for this season. Plus the Rogers Centre Service Fee will be gone now too.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

So TanenBELL only takes over the team December 31st 2015 ?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Done and done.