Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo Sale

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    As I said, no business just "gives" $10M without getting something tangible in return. If the league could hand $10M to MLSE and in return get a guaranteed long-term lease with favourable conditions in in a properly expanded BMO, I imagine it might consider doing so. I doubt such an offer from MLSE is on the table at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So the league should pay $10M to get a seat at the table? I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what it is you are trying to suggest the league do about this, and specifically with respect to the $10M.
    MLSE has state, they wanted to start construction in OCT, including the CFL buildout of BMO. With the Argos even perhaps playing at BMO in 2015. There is a 10 million shortfall from the FED government not making their decision yet. The city and Province have kicked in their 10 Million each. So now MLSE will go forward with the soccer upgrade portion only. With MLSE now walking away from owning the Argos and with the CFL/ Argos having no skin in the game, why on earth will MLSE Care about ensuring a CFL field now fits in BMO. If the league,had put the 10 million up (CFL work on getting the 10 million back from the Feds) construction on revamping BMO for a CFL team would be settled. With ensuring the Argos move to BMO, potential new owners could be found. Just wait for the announcement from MLSE, that they will not be revamping BMO for the Argos now. Once that announcement is made, the Argos are done, and that will be a sad day

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    MLSE has state, they wanted to start construction in OCT, including the CFL buildout of BMO. With the Argos even perhaps playing at BMO in 2015. There is a 10 million shortfall from the FED government not making their decision yet. The city and Province have kicked in their 10 Million each. So now MLSE will go forward with the soccer upgrade portion only. With MLSE now walking away from owning the Argos and with the CFL/ Argos having no skin in the game, why on earth will MLSE Care about ensuring a CFL field now fits in BMO. If the league,had put the 10 million up (CFL work on getting the 10 million back from the Feds) construction on revamping BMO for a CFL team would be settled. With ensuring the Argos move to BMO, potential new owners could be found. Just wait for the announcement from MLSE, that they will not be revamping BMO for the Argos now. Once that announcement is made, the Argos are done, and that will be a sad day
    This probably makes more sense here:

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Which is why the City never should have agreed to the changes to push the CFL Field to Phase 3. MLSE is going to screw them over again, just like they did with the naming rights.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Which is why the City never should have agreed to the changes to push the CFL Field to Phase 3. MLSE is going to screw them over again, just like they did with the naming rights.
    I agree, it would have been in the cities best interest to turn down $90M worth of upgrades being paid for by MLSE in to a facility the city owns which will also increase the annual revenue the city receives from said facility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I agree, it would have been in the cities best interest to turn down $90M worth of upgrades being paid for by MLSE in to a facility the city owns which will also increase the annual revenue the city receives from said facility.
    Glad you agree. Taxpayers already did their part by building the Stadium and donating the land for free.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Glad you agree. Taxpayers already did their part by building the Stadium and donating the land for free.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    For the record I was aware that it was sarcasm. Like most people here I'm just getting tired of you being a PITA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level

David Braley Speaks - Other offers for the Argos.

For the record I was aware that it was sarcasm. Like most people here I'm just getting tired of you being a PITA.
    Big PITA.

Anyways since this was moderated and merged, something new on this front.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...medium=twitter

Interesting that would be make it a not-for profit community owned.

Also noticing an increase in Toronto Star's CFL/Argos coverage. Is that your suggestion Paul?

It may turn me back onto The Star after boycotting it for the better part of 2 years
    Last edited by Mulder; 09-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The new Argo writer Curtis Rush seems to have helped the Star turn a new leaf in their coverage.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...medium=twitter

Interesting that would be make it a not-for profit community owned.

Also noticing an increase in Toronto Star's CFL/Argos coverage. Is that your suggestion Paul?

It may turn me back onto The Star after boycotting it for the better part of 2 years
    Some very interesting and revealing comments from Mr. Braley in the Star story:

“What might happen is I just might end up with the lease with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment and I own the team,” Braley said. “My job is to find a place for the team to play, and the only place that I can see where the team can play right now is BMO Field.”

“Maybe the Lions get sold first and I still own the Argonauts until I can fix them,” he said. “There’s nothing cast in stone. Whatever is good for the team. Whatever is good for the league, and whatever is good for the city of Toronto and B.C., that’s how it’s going to happen.”

“I’ve never had a negotiation with a football team while the season is on,” Braley said, adding he doesn’t want to cause a distraction to the 3-8 Argos.

MLSE has not made any offer to buy the team or even asked what his price is, Braley said.

If the team moves to the smaller BMO Field, Braley believes the team could become profitable within the year.

Braley bristled at criticism he is running the Argos on a shoestring budget. Some players have complained that they were unhappy with the changing practice facilities.

“Financially, (the Argos) have all the money they need,” Braley said. “They have brand new practice facilities. We were two weeks late getting into them, yes, I apologize. I had no choice.”

“Right now, the marketing has been somewhat less than adequate,” Braley said.

“I’m not doing a good enough job,” he said. “Isn’t that the truth? We haven’t sold enough tickets. We haven’t sold enough sponsorships. I have to take the blame. That’s my job to hire the people do it, and that’s why we’re making changes in those people.”

“There’s lots of options, and one of them is I fold the team,” Braley said. “What is the value? If you’re losing money, it’s not worth much.”

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    "Braley said he has been approached by two new potential bidders."

Right. Just like "four or five" municipalities approached him last year looking to host a stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    "Braley said he has been approached by two new potential bidders."

Right. Just like "four or five" municipalities approached him last year looking to host a stadium.
    Wrong. Those are not quotes from Mr. Braley because he never said that. It was the Star reporter or headline writer who characterized the bidders as "new" (Braley said he was approached by a prospective bidder six months ago). He also said he had talks with 4 municipalities about locations for new Argo stadium (with a 5th pending), not that he was approached by these municipalities.

But the Argos didn't get off as easy in another Star story today:

The uneasy co-existence of Major League Baseball and the CFL at the Rogers Centre is a prickly relationship that will not get any better.

The Toronto Argonauts for their part are happy, and why not? To the Blue Jays, the Argos are like a down-on-his-luck relative that you let stay at your place until they’re back on their feet but then they never leave.

The Argos need to find a new home as soon as possible, and then the Jays could get moving on the project. The most likely venue for the Argos would be BMO Field down at the CNE grounds, but the end-zones would need to be lengthened and seats would need to be added. That is only a most likely scenario if MLSE was to purchase the CFL team. There is no word on that possibility, so the Argos continue to hang around like gum on the bottom of the Jays’ shoes.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/blueja...e_griffin.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The new Argo writer Curtis Rush seems to have helped the Star turn a new leaf in their coverage.

I like that someone actually did some reporting .... like pick up the phone and talk to braley , instead of making up stuff on the radio

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Wrong. Those are not quotes from Mr. Braley because he never said that. It was the Star reporter or headline writer who characterized the bidders as "new" (Braley said he was approached by a prospective bidder six months ago). He also said he had talks with 4 municipalities about locations for new Argo stadium (with a 5th pending), not that he was approached by these municipalities.
    The larger point still holds. Braley spends months at a time down the rabbit hole, talking to no one about anything, and then he tries to nudge public opinion by suggesting he's got all these interesting things happening on the down low. No names ever get mentioned. It's unconvincing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Braley bristled at criticism he is running the Argos on a shoestring budget. Some players have complained that they were unhappy with the changing practice facilities.

Financially, (the Argos) have all the money they need,” Braley said. “They have brand new practice facilities. We were two weeks late getting into them, yes, I apologize. I had no choice.”
    They have all the money they need. Likely meaning, I have given them enough money to reach the mandatory floor of the SMS.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    They have all the money they need. Likely meaning, I have given them enough money to reach the mandatory floor of the SMS.
    Any team that stays in banff/calgary instead of flying home, isn't pinching pennies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Any team that stays in banff/calgary instead of flying home, isn't pinching pennies
    Might be cheaper to stay out west than come back and fly out again, or close to the same.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Might be cheaper to stay out west than come back and fly out again, or close to the same.
    a football team and staff, accommodation, meeting spaces, training fields ... no way.
    Last edited by Qman; 09-17-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    a football team and staff, accommodation, meeting spaces, training fields ... no way.
    I've made the trip to Calgary many times for business. It is $1000 to travel there and back. Accommodation just outside of the city is $200 a night double occupany. Meetings are at the hotel and it is only rent for a high school field. Anyone making the trek to Banff, did it on their own dollar. In the end, it's probably a wash, but definitely no more cost than coming home.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    And it gives the team two more days of prep time, or one and a half at least.