Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo Sale

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    This has to happen this week. The team does not need to be in limbo and have this whole thing be a distraction during camp and the season. The team, if being sold, needs to be able to to start selling advanced tickets for a move in 2016 and be able to advertise while CFL is at top of mind of fans in Canada. Not to mention the need to have the construction plans include the CFL work on BMO Field. I'm also sure the league would like to award the 2016 Grey Cup so thatt event can start being planned. If BMO is being expanded for 2016 Grey Cup don't be surprised if there is an NHL Outdoor game on Jan 1 2017 or a World Junior game on Boxing Day 2016 at BMO as well.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    It just keeps dragging on and on. Sucks the like out of diehard fans let alone fly by night fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I was watching the morning edition of Sportsnet's news this morning, and before going to commercial around 8:26am, they had a short comment saying that their sources tell them the Argos sale to an "MLSE" group will happen in the middle of this week. Let's hope that this is finally over.
    Sounds like some good news is coming............. hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    My suspicion is that not only will the Argos be in BMO next season but so will the 2016 Grey Cup game.
    Would have to agree Ravi, first Torie's slip of the tongue, then a few members in the media have also brought it up and lastly, the fact that the 2016 Grey Cup presented by Shaw hasn't even been announced yet, too many indications seem to be pointing in that direction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian45 View Post
    This has to happen this week. The team does not need to be in limbo and have this whole thing be a distraction during camp and the season. The team, if being sold, needs to be able to to start selling advanced tickets for a move in 2016 and be able to advertise while CFL is at top of mind of fans in Canada. Not to mention the need to have the construction plans include the CFL work on BMO Field. I'm also sure the league would like to award the 2016 Grey Cup so thatt event can start being planned. If BMO is being expanded for 2016 Grey Cup don't be surprised if there is an NHL Outdoor game on Jan 1 2017 or a World Junior game on Boxing Day 2016 at BMO as well.
    Winter Classic is on January 1st. It's never been in Canada. Heritage Classic is in Canada.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Winter Classic is on January 1st. It's never been in Canada. Heritage Classic is in Canada.
    Pretty sure the fact that Toronto hasn't had a suitable venue is the reason it hasn't been in Canada. They are an original 6 team, that played a winter classic, so I don't think NBC is against having a Canadian team, as long as it's an original 6 team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    That said to MLSE??? I thought it was Tanembaum or however he spells his name and Bell? At this point I'll beleve it when I see it. I hope it's not MLSE. Might have more merch but will we ever win again?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    When they were talking about the sale of the Argonauts to Bell & Tanenbaum on PTS they said that they were going to pay MLSE to manage the day to day business operations of the team.

I'm wondering if that means that they'll replace our existing Account Representatives with existing MLSE staff? I hope not as my Account Representative has been quite good.

Also if MLSE is running the business operations how will they handle picking seats at BMO Field for existing Season Ticket holders?

Pretty sure the fact that Toronto hasn't had a suitable venue is the reason it hasn't been in Canada. They are an original 6 team, that played a winter classic, so I don't think NBC is against having a Canadian team, as long as it's an original 6 team.
    NBC owns the Winter Classic and they accrue very little benefit from a Canadian team. In fact they lose out on the Canadian TV Ratings. The game in Canada will probably be a Heritage Classic or a Stadium Series game. Also the NHL buys the Winter Classic from the host team and with only 35,000 - 40,000 seats to sell at BMO Field (with Temporary Seating added) there are better / bigger venues for the NHL.

Not to mention that the leafs are a terrible team with no marquee players to market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    That said to MLSE??? I thought it was Tanembaum or however he spells his name and Bell? At this point I'll beleve it when I see it. I hope it's not MLSE. Might have more merch but will we ever win again?
    I thought it said MLSE "group" implying that a splinter group (TanenBell) but why would Sportsnet be the only ones to report that?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I'm wondering if that means that they'll replace our existing Account Representatives with existing MLSE staff? I hope not as my Account Representative has been quite good.
    My guess is they will keep the reps at first because they know their costumers

Also if MLSE is running the business operations how will they handle picking seats at BMO Field for existing Season Ticket holders?
    Picking seats at BMO Field will probably go in the order of when you purchased season tickets with the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    My guess is they will keep the reps at first because they know their costumers

Picking seats at BMO Field will probably go in the order of when you purchased season tickets with the team.
    Hopefully you are right on both counts but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it by colour too. Platinum / Gold getting to choose first...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

NBC owns the Winter Classic and they accrue very little benefit from a Canadian team. In fact they lose out on the Canadian TV Ratings. The game in Canada will probably be a Heritage Classic or a Stadium Series game. Also the NHL buys the Winter Classic from the host team and with only 35,000 - 40,000 seats to sell at BMO Field (with Temporary Seating added) there are better / bigger venues for the NHL.

Not to mention that the leafs are a terrible team with no marquee players to market.
    If they have nothing to gain from a Canadina team, why did they have Leafs-RedWings? I don't think the size of the venue is that important. They played at Wrigley Field which seats in the 40k range. They will also be able to charge significantly more per ticket in Toronto than they have in say Buffalo or Pittsburgh in the past, possibly even double, so that would easily make up for not playing in an 80k seat stadium. Canadian TV has also carried every single classic thus far, so I don't get where you're going with losing out on TV ratings. They are all on Canadian TV regardless of who is playing, and I'm willing to bet the majority of Canadian viewers watch it on Canadian tv.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If they have nothing to gain from a Canadina team, why did they have Leafs-RedWings? I don't think the size of the venue is that important. They played at Wrigley Field which seats in the 40k range. They will also be able to charge significantly more per ticket in Toronto than they have in say Buffalo or Pittsburgh in the past, possibly even double, so that would easily make up for not playing in an 80k seat stadium. Canadian TV has also carried every single classic thus far, so I don't get where you're going with losing out on TV ratings. They are all on Canadian TV regardless of who is playing, and I'm willing to bet the majority of Canadian viewers watch it on Canadian tv.
    When 2 American teams play it benefits NBC more because more Americans watch. NBC doesn't benefit from having a Canadian team play in their Winter Classic which is why the outdoor game in Toronto will probably be a Heritage Classic like every other outdoor game in Canada has been.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    According to Sports Illustrated as relayed by Puckdaddy, here are the U.S. TV ratings for past WCs:

2015: 2.3 (Blackhawks/Capitals)
    2014: 2.9 (Leafs/Red Wings)
    2013: No game.
    2012: 2.4 (Rangers/Flyers)
    2011: 2.8 (Capitals/Penguins)
    2010: 2.6 (Flyers/Bruins)
    2009: 2.9 (Red Wings/Blackhawks)
    2008: 2.6 (Penguins/Sabres)

So the game involving Leafs tied for highest ratings ever. Red Wings are obviously the ratings king.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...160140036.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    When 2 American teams play it benefits NBC more because more Americans watch. NBC doesn't benefit from having a Canadian team play in their Winter Classic which is why the outdoor game in Toronto will probably be a Heritage Classic like every other outdoor game in Canada has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13
    According to Sports Illustrated as relayed by Puckdaddy, here are the U.S. TV ratings for past WCs:

So the game involving Leafs tied for highest ratings ever. Red Wings are obviously the ratings king.

Yeah, but why let facts get in the way of a good theory?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

Interesting, I guess more Canadians are watching the NBC feed than I thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the 2016 Winter Classic (which features the biggest rivalry in the NHL) will set a new ratings record for the Winter Classic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Interesting, I guess more Canadians are watching the NBC feed than I thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the 2016 Winter Classic (which features the biggest rivalry in the NHL) will set a new ratings record for the Winter Classic.
    Canadians watching the NBC feed would not be reflected in the ratings.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looks as though it will be announced tomorrow.

http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-par...nauts-1.286511

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Looks as though it will be announced tomorrow.

http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-par...nauts-1.286511
    Finally!

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Wow. Finally, the other shoe has dropped. The first shoe was the demise of the Bills/NFL to Toronto. Outside of a very few dead enders, the discussion around the NFL coming to Toronto is essentially over for a generation with the Pegulas purchase of the Bills. Now, with Bell (moreso than Tannenbaum) owning the team and moving to BMO, we have stability for the team for some time to come. They will make an effort of this, and we will see some amazing results I suspect, with just a little bit of effort (which has been lacking for five years). In the short term, we will hear all kinds of unhappiness, etc. We just need to ignore that, and focus on making our game day experience at BMO the best in the league-- and indeed, it could be one of the best in sports, with such a small, intimate venue, and a revived fanbase.

While I might not agree with everything that Mr. Braley has done (or hasn't done), a thank you goes out to him for shepherding this through, despite Rogers obvious efforts to derail it. Lots to happen still, but we have stable owners, will have a new marketing push, and will have a great new stadium to play in starting in 2016.

It will be amazing to see what the Bell/Tannenbaum ownership will mean to this team-- it may in fact be better than being directly owned by MLSE.

I will almost certainly up my season seats in 2016!

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is great news for the Argos, the CFL and the sanity of the moderators at this place
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022