Thread: Argo Sale

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Argos are just like any other business ??? ; and selling them is just like the average joe selling his house or car ???
    Obviously not, but the analogy stills stands. Do you sell something at a loss to ensure that someone cares for the item that you are selling, or do you get the most that you can get? And if no one is lining up to buy what you are selling, how much choice do you have? Its not a secret that Braley wants to sell the team. Maybe you expect that Braley donates the team to a group that ensures they always take care of the team first and foremost, or do you expect he get's the best return he can, with the hope the buyer takes care of the team. Of course the latter helps when there are people lining up to buy the team, but as far as I ever heard only MLSE has shown interest. As a seller, even a compassionate one, what do you do especially when it comes to millions of dollars? I'm really not sure what your point is, when you argue that Braley should sell the team to some fictitious non-fascist group that ONLY has the best interest of the Argos at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    Richard Griffin has a terrible piece in the Star today that blames the Argos for Rogers inability to put grass in Skydome. Despite Beeston's claims to support the Argos, the article makes clear that the Argos are the "problem." Of course, no mention of the Bills series. Not sure how this fits with the MLSE move, but I wrote to Griffin to ask him why he omitted the Bills. No doubt I will get some shoddy brush of, if he relies at all.
    Link? But really how can anyone blame the Argos for the inability for Rogers to have grass in a stadium when Rogers is the owner of the stadium. That's like me blaming a tenant in my building for me not having a great office space, because I rented that space to that tenant. The logic never ceases to amaze me. Anyhow, that's why I want MSLE to buy the Argos. Get them away from the Rogers Centre and lets be done with this nonsense. Maybe another bag of nails will be thrown our way, but let's deal with that when it comes. The Argos at Rogers Centre are done, at least soon, and let's deal with it. So tired of the Rogers Centre bullcrap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Here is the link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/blueja...s_griffin.html

I don't agree with Downtownfan's characterization of the story. Yes, Beeston points out that a CFL field cannot be placed in the RC without moving baseball seats (which would make grass impossible). This fact has always been known since the SkyDome was first built. It was built specifically with the plan to move the seats, so any move to grass requires that seats be fixed in place during baseball season. Beeston also says in the piece, “The bottom line of it is, I believe in the CFL. I think the CFL is a good product. It’s an exciting product. I actually think it’s great for the country. I think it’s a unifying fact for the country. It’s a different brand of football and to be very honest with you, I think that we have a community responsibility. On the other hand, it’s not ideal for the Argos, because we can’t fill the place. It’s probably too big." None of that strikes me as particularly negative about the CFL or "blaming" the Argos.

As for the Bills not being mentioned, I suspect there are two possible reasons: 1. An NFL field might be able to fit into a permanent baseball configuration, because it is narrower and much shorter than a CFL field, and/or 2. If the Bills continue to play a game every season at RC, it will be after baseball season ends so Rogers can make any changes it wants to the building then. The Argos, on the other hand, play their games during the baseball season, so obviously as long as they are a tenant in the building, grass can't be installed. That's all Beeston is saying, and it's far from "terrible."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Here is the link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/blueja...s_griffin.html

I don't agree with Downtownfan's characterization of the story. Yes, Beeston points out that a CFL field cannot be placed in the RC without moving baseball seats (which would make grass impossible). This fact has always been known since the SkyDome was first built. It was built specifically with the plan to move the seats, so any move to grass requires that seats be fixed in place during baseball season. Beeston also says in the piece, “The bottom line of it is, I believe in the CFL. I think the CFL is a good product. It’s an exciting product. I actually think it’s great for the country. I think it’s a unifying fact for the country. It’s a different brand of football and to be very honest with you, I think that we have a community responsibility. On the other hand, it’s not ideal for the Argos, because we can’t fill the place. It’s probably too big." None of that strikes me as particularly negative about the CFL or "blaming" the Argos.

As for the Bills not being mentioned, I suspect there are two possible reasons: 1. An NFL field might be able to fit into a permanent baseball configuration, because it is narrower and much shorter than a CFL field, and/or 2. If the Bills continue to play a game every season at RC, it will be after baseball season ends so Rogers can make any changes it wants to the building then. The Argos, on the other hand, play their games during the baseball season, so obviously as long as they are a tenant in the building, grass can't be installed. That's all Beeston is saying, and it's far from "terrible."
    Thanks for the link. I also don't think the article is as terrible as it was originally portrayed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree Griffin's article is just filler, suitable only to line the budgie cage. His story makes little sense, it's like Griffin lives in a bubble and is totally oblivious to the fact the Argos signed a 5-year lease at RC last year and have been given notice to leave after 2017. Griffin's conclusion: "But before grass for the Jays can happen, the question is, how do you solve a problem like the Argos?" Ummm, perhaps with the Argos building a new stadium or relocating to BMO? (I think I heard something about that somewhere...)

I believe the purpose of Griffin's opinion piece was to dump on the Argos and portray them as a "problem", for some reason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I agree Griffin's article is just filler, suitable only to line the budgie cage. His story makes little sense, it's like Griffin lives in a bubble and is totally oblivious to the fact the Argos signed a 5-year lease at RC last year and have been given notice to leave after 2017. Griffin's conclusion: "But before grass for the Jays can happen, the question is, how do you solve a problem like the Argos?" Ummm, perhaps with the Argos building a new stadium or relocating to BMO? (I think I heard something about that somewhere...)

I believe the purpose of Griffin's opinion piece was to dump on the Argos and portray them as a "problem", for some reason.
    Not surprising coming from The Star. They are also no friend of the CFL. Completely Negative.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Not surprising coming from The Star. They are also no friend of the CFL. Completely Negative.
    Sad but true. I go through old Star sport sections from the 80's. Rick Matsumoto and Wayne Parrish (btw what ever happened to him Paul Woods) passionately covered the Argos. I wonder if all this will change if/when MLSE purchases the storied Boatmen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Sad but true. I go through old Star sport sections from the 80's. Rick Matsumoto and Wayne Parrish (btw what ever happened to him Paul Woods) passionately covered the Argos. I wonder if all this will change if/when MLSE purchases the storied Boatmen.
    Wayne is now a senior executive with Postmedia and I think he is also chairman of the board of Basketball Canada. IIRC he was recruited away from the Star to become sports ed of the Sun and eventually moved into an exec role with the Sun before moving to Postmedia (publisher of Natl Post and other quality titles across the country).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Wayne is now a senior executive with Postmedia and I think he is also chairman of the board of Basketball Canada. IIRC he was recruited away from the Star to become sports ed of the Sun and eventually moved into an exec role with the Sun before moving to Postmedia (publisher of Natl Post and other quality titles across the country).
    I seem to recall Parrish heading to the Sun at around the same time that John Robertson moved from the Sun to the Star. I recall some jokes that it was a trade of columnists.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I seem to recall Parrish heading to the Sun at around the same time that John Robertson moved from the Sun to the Star. I recall some jokes that it was a trade of columnists.
    The late John Robertson -- he just died.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I had not heard that, Paul. Robertson was an interesting character on the Toronto sports media scene during the 1980s. He primarily wrote about the Blue Jays in the Star but did write some memorable columns about the Argos as they marched towards the Grey Cup game in 1987.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Parrish was always a basketball guy and I d not recall him being friendly wit the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sad news Paul.
    Miss the old school "character" guys like Robertson and Jim Hunt!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Parrish was always a basketball guy and I d not recall him being friendly wit the CFL.
    You obviously haven't read my book. He wrote tons about the CFL when he was with the Star.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    The Star is by-and-large the only newspaper in the country that practices genuine investigative journalism: it gets results, brings things to light, and sometimes actually helps people.
    What a refreshing change from the usual dumbed-down, utterly synchophantic media organs.

OTOH, the Star really should improve and expand its coverage of the CFL. Even if general interest in the league in the Star's market isn't exactly overwhelming at present, covering the Argonauts and the league doesn't require a great deal of resources. Better coverage and, in effect, another feedback loop could be good for all concerned: the Star, Toronto-region CFL fans, and the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The Star is by-and-large the only newspaper in the country that practices genuine investigative journalism: it gets results, brings things to light, and sometimes actually helps people.
    What a refreshing change from the usual dumbed-down, utterly synchophantic media organs.

OTOH, the Star really should improve and expand its coverage of the CFL. Even if general interest in the league in the Star's market isn't exactly overwhelming at present, covering the Argonauts and the league doesn't require a great deal of resources. Better coverage and, in effect, another feedback loop could be good for all concerned: the Star, Toronto-region CFL fans, and the league.
    Sure as long as it fits their agenda. The Star is the most biased newspaper in Canada and if it continues to lose readers and money the way that it has been it will soon be out of business.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Sure as long as it fits their agenda. The Star is the most biased newspaper in Canada and if it continues to lose readers and money the way that it has been it will soon be out of business.

I used to play flag football with one of the Star editors.
    He would often question their sports policy and why the CFL and Argos would not garner better coverage.
    The anti CFL bias came from very high up there was nothing he could do to change same.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    going to be fun watching the Star kiss the Argo's ass after the MLSE buys them
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Parrish is high up in Sun Media corporate.,iirc

Wasnt Parrish a co host of a Argos weekly show on CFTO ? Forgot who the host was - he would play the upbeat, straight man to Parrish's cranky tell it like it is schtick. Am I remembering this right ?
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Parrish is high up in Sun Media corporate.,iirc

Wasnt Parrish a co host of a Argos weekly show on CFTO ? Forgot who the host was - he would play the upbeat, straight man to Parrish's cranky tell it like it is schtick. Am I remembering this right ?
    Not the host. He and radio play-by-play guy Bob Bratina (now the embattled mayor of Hamilton) would do a point/counter-point debate, often sitting on a patio sipping Carlsberg, in Argonauts This Week (1985).

As I noted above, Wayne left Sun Media years ago (long before it was called sun Media) and now works as an exec for Postmedia as well as being CEO of Basketball Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I for one am happy that their "agenda" includes exposing the behaviour of the mayor of Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not the host. He and radio play-by-play guy Bob Bratina (now the embattled mayor of Hamilton) would do a point/counter-point debate, often sitting on a patio sipping Carlsberg, in Argonauts This Week (1985).

As I noted above, Wayne left Sun Media years ago (long before it was called sun Media) and now works as an exec for Postmedia as well as being CEO of Basketball Canada.

I for one am happy that their "agenda" includes exposing the behaviour of the mayor of Toronto.
    To bad that the Red Star agenda doesn't apply to corrupt liberal politicians too.

This is what passes for journalism at the Red Star these days:

http://www.peterkent.ca/news/my-resp...or-else-letter

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01...w-on-rob-ford/