Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Blast from the past

Running Through A Storm
    Anthony Davis has turned Canadian fans on with his dazzling moves and outfits, but the way the Argonauts are using him has turned him off
    Joe Marshall Sports Illustrated August 30, 1976

It is the morning after his second Canadian Football League game and Anthony Davis, formerly of USC and the WFL and now a Toronto Argonaut, is utterly resplendent as he prepares to drive to practice. His salmon-colored three-piece suit is nicely set off by a pale blue shirt, dark blue tie and dark blue patent leather shoes. A dark blue handkerchief and a gold watch chain protrude from his breast pocket. On both of his little fingers Davis wears a large glittering ring, symbols of the two NCAA championship baseball teams he played on at USC. On his left ring finger he wears an even larger, more ornate ring, a memento of one of the two USC football teams he led to national championships. His other football ring is back home in Los Angeles. So are his three Doberman pinschers—Stinky, Sweetness and Scooby—and his collection of seven cars, including two Rolls-Royces and two 1941 Cadillac Fleetwoods. His Toronto car is a white Lincoln Continental Mark IV complete with telephone, bold gold GOOD LUCK ANTHONY DAVIS FROM GATEWAY MERCURY lettering on both doors and this morning's message finger-printed in the dust atop the car's retractable glass roof: YOUR CHEERLEADERS LOVE YOU. Davis smiles smugly, acknowledging this declaration of affection.

Anthony Davis is the controversial new superstar of Canadian football, on and off the field. So controversial, in fact, that after only two games he has found himself enmeshed in a name-calling war in which his Los Angeles-based agent, Mike Trope, has demanded the immediate dismissal of Toronto Coach Russ Jackson for alleged misuse of his client's talents. "When we signed with Toronto, the Argonauts told us that Anthony Davis would be the O.J. Simpson of Canada," Trope said in a magazine article published last week. "Now they're keeping a guy with A.D.'s talents buried."

Buried? Last Wednesday night Davis rushed for 78 yards in 11 carries, including a 48-yard touchdown sprint; caught four passes; returned two kickoffs for 42 yards; ran back a punt; and even attempted an option-play pass as the Argonauts defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 14-11 before 49,724 in Toronto. One week earlier Davis, who had to sit out Toronto's first three games because of three cracked bones in the small of his back, lured a league-record crowd of 50,212 to his CFL debut, then captivated his audience by carrying 11 times for 77 yards and one touchdown; catching a 10-yard touchdown pass; returning two kickoffs for 52 yards; and galloping 69 yards with a pass on a swing play that was called back because of a holding penalty.

Rhapsodized one Toronto journalist after Davis' effort: "Long after the outcome of last night's football game here is forgotten—it was just another Argo defeat, after all—it will be recalled as the beginning of the Anthony Davis era in Canadian sport. Those among the 50,212 spectators who generate grandchildren will be telling them, half a century from now, about the memorable evening...when A.D. played his first official Canadian Football League match."

While Davis' statistics may indeed be impressive, Trope argues that they are hardly memorable when compared with other performances in the career of the man who broke O.J.'s USC rushing record, who once scored six touchdowns in a single game against Notre Dame and who rushed for 1,200 yards and scored 133 points in 12 WFL games before that league folded.

Trope says, "A.D. is not being used right in Toronto. He should carry the ball 18 to 25 times a game to be effective." Earlier, while watching a Toronto exhibition Trope had said, "Listen, I'm telling you, A.D. is very upset. A.D. says this Argo offense has only three or four basic plays. Can you believe it? They haven't got a sweep, something to get A.D. clear for a swing pass. They should fire Jackson, they should fire the coaching staff. They're incompetent. Here they have the greatest back in Canadian football and they don't know how to use him. There's more to this than just football. I have a marketing man setting up a program for A.D. in Canada—endorsements and public appearances—and he has been running into trouble lately."

When Trope's comments were made public last week, they prompted an immediate response from Toronto television commentator Pat Marsden, who viewed Trope as strictly a mouthpiece for Davis. "If I was [Toronto Owner] Bill Hodgson," Marsden said on the air, "I'd inform Anthony Davis in no uncertain terms that a lot better ballplayers than himself have come down the pike and gone back up it, too, because they couldn't keep their mouth shut and their mind on their job."

Davis fumed when he heard about Marsden's comments. "That's outrageous," he said publicly. "Sickening. I just want to win. I'm here to play, and if the man wants me to run 11 times, then O.K." Privately, though, Davis told an associate that the situation in Toronto was discouraging.

Davis signed a five-year $1 million contract, including a $150,000 bonus—his second in six months—with the Argonauts last season shortly after the collapse of the WFL. After completing his USC career, Davis was drafted by the NFL's New York Jets but signed, instead, with the WFL's Southern California Sun, pocketing the first $150,000 bonus and, as it turned out, $70,000 in salary for four months' work. Trope offered Davis' services to the NFL again, but the notoriously penurious Jets once more declined to meet his financial demands. In fact, the Jets placed Davis' name on its list of players available to the Seattle and Tampa Bay expansion teams, and John McKay, remembering what Davis had done for him at USC, promptly drafted him for Tampa.

While Davis' contract is immense by CFL dollar standards—the average Canadian salary is only $22,300—he has already proved to be a financial bargain for the Toronto franchise. The Argonauts finished in last place the past two seasons, and they desperately needed an instant box-office attraction to help pay the rent at the Canadian National Exhibition Stadium, which had been expanded and modernized for the arrival of an American League baseball franchise next spring. With Davis in the fold, Toronto's season-ticket sales increased almost 6,000, and in his first two games at Toronto, he brought almost 100,000 people through the turnstiles.

However, the CFL has been something of a cultural shock for Davis. Although the Canadian game, which is played on a field 12 yards wider than American gridirons, is wide open offensively and thus tailored to his abilities, Davis has discovered that the caliber of play is below what he experienced in the WFL. The CFL dictates that a minimum of 17 players on every 32-man roster must be Canadians, and, well, Canadians play football about as well as Americans play hockey. Besides, there is a minor league aura to the CFL. Coaching staffs consist of no more than a handful of men; unlike the NFL, there are no strength coaches or movie projectionists on the payroll. Many of the teams even practice in late afternoon so their players can hold down full-time jobs. Davis is constantly reminded of the differences between the CFL and the NFL. Last week, for instance, a Canadian journalist, trying to offer Davis the ultimate in encomiums, wrote, "Some day Anthony Davis will be as good as Leo Lewis."

Prompting such praise have been moves like one Davis play in Toronto's victory over Hamilton. He received a pitch from Quarterback Matthew Reed, another former WFL player, then turned the corner and began dashing for the end zone. At the 15 it appeared that Davis would be stopped by a Tiger-Cat defensive back who had a good angle on him, but Davis cut inside, cut outside again to avoid another defender, and, as he did at USC, showboated after crossing the goal line, this time bowing to the crowd.

Unfortunately, Davis went into eclipse after that touchdown, and for the rest of the game he spent most of his time going in motion or jogging downfield as a decoy. "From Anthony's standpoint, I don't think the coaching can get worse," Trope said after the game. "If you polled football fans, I think they'd agree. If you polled the Toronto front office, I think even they'd agree." Indeed, although Toronto is off to its best start since 1973, there are rumors that Jackson, a former All-Canadian League quarterback who last year gave up a job as a high school principal to handle the Argonauts, might soon be fired, despite his rich five-year contract.

So, with the NFL, Tampa Bay, John McKay and, yes, another lucrative signing bonus obviously in mind, Trope notes, "A.D. has an option to get out of this Toronto contract after two years if we wish. If this situation continues, there's no way he will stay with the Argonauts."

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Used to have an AD mini poster - a giveaway from the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce - CIBC for all you youngsters out there.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    When Trope's comments were made public last week, they prompted an immediate response from Toronto television commentator Pat Marsden, who viewed Trope as strictly a mouthpiece for Davis. "If I was [Toronto Owner] Bill Hodgson," Marsden said on the air, "I'd inform Anthony Davis in no uncertain terms that a lot better ballplayers than himself have come down the pike and gone back up it, too, because they couldn't keep their mouth shut and their mind on their job."
    Pat Marsden was awesome....
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Pat Marsden was awesome....
    I couldn't stand him. He was loathe to mention where any Canadian players came from but you sure as hell heard about a guy from North Southeast Western Dakota State, Dunigan does it to a lesser extent.

Marsden did tell a funny story about good 'ol Johnny Seesaw's (Esaw) penchant for getting sponsors names on the air. "And overhead at this 60th Grey Cup I see an Air Canada jet and inside the passengers are sitting back with an Old Port wine tipped cigar and a glass of Andres Baby Canadian champagne". LOL

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I watched an old David Steinberg show recently from 1976 and Anthony Davis was the guest star on that episode. I am guessing that he had just signed with the Argos as the show was taping in Toronto. Martin Short and John Candy were also in the episode.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I watched an old David Steinberg show
    featuring Bill Saluga.

"You can call me Ray or you can call me J"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Salmon coloured 3 piece suit, where can I get one.
    Marsden was the biggest Ottawa Rough Rider homer back in the day, but did have the stones to call guys out when needed.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Exhibition (CNE) Stadium 1973 crowd of 36,653 (note the track, I didn't remember that)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great stadium. Too bad the BJ's ruined it. Different seeing those 25 yard endzones!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Great shots. I don't think I've ever seen a good picture of the south stands pre-baseball config. Very interesting to see what the Ex looked like when it was football-only.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Them were the days!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe we've gone over this before here - but Anthony Davis is another in a long line of very talented Argo tailbacks - who have appeared in an Argo uniform, but for whatever/various reasons, did not last many years as an Argo. Leon McQuay, AD, Terry Metcalf, Gill Fenerty, Mike Jenkins, Cory Boyd - but i guess that is the nature of pro football and also of football careers for running backs (and in the CFL with the NFL lure - McQuay Cedric Minter, Fenerty, Jenkins got the NFL call after showing great stuff for the Argos; Metcalf went back; i think Davis might have got an NFL shot too). Love to see a few more Dick Shatto, Bill Symons, Pinball types. Chad Kackert ÉÉÉ

Also maybe interesting that the Argos have rarely given a shot to or nurtured a great Canadian RB; Neil Lumsden for a bit (maybe more a fullback type); they had Eric Lapointe for a brief spell. I believe most other CFL teams have had a very good Canadian - NI RB play for them as a productive or feature back, at least once or twice, over the past few decades or so, but not so much the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Still miss that place, hopefully we can recover some of the magic of those days!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    hopefully we can recover some of the magic of those days!
    Have to say, I'm not really an Argos fan but I have a lot of sympathy for the team and want to see them succeed as a strong Argos can only be a good thing for the CFL.

The Argos are in what I would call a hostile environment, much of the media (ie most recently Pelley's comment), the lost generation of fans from the 80s etc (who are about as relevant now as the 60s hippie separatists in Quebec) and those who still have the old Canadian inferiority complex, that went the way of the dodo bird long ago who feel they have to disparage the league.

If you want to keep this legacy alive you have to fight for it. Bombard football forums and talks shows like McCown's, don't let people put the league down. Fight them with facts, because generally people will post anything regardless of how little knowledge they have. And the CFL has good facts to fight with, you just have to do it.