Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

CBA Discussions ......

I'm not really sure where to seek out info on this. I've only seen a couple of twitter postings stating that the 2 day talks were disbanded after the first day because the 2 sides are too far apart.

Has anyone seen any other info?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I'm not really sure where to seek out info on this. I've only seen a couple of twitter postings stating that the 2 day talks were disbanded after the first day because the 2 sides are too far apart.

Has anyone seen any other info?
    Pretty standard in terms of negotiating on first offers. My guess is the union may play a little harder this time.

I also find the CFLPA to be a complete joke, there was a story a few years about about them being "unable" to contact old players with pensions. A newspaper found them no problem.

They also run "contests" and end up giving the prizes to friends of players & employees of the presidents other businesses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So following the non-event ..... http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl...aign=hootsuite
    And
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...tiation-talks/

Does anyone know what percentage of overhead the players contracts constitutes now?
    I think the owners will have to link players salaries to the total revenues but not jeopardize the growth the CFL has now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

League vs players

The contract talks between the league and he players union is not going well. In the past I never believed the players would strike, however the players have a lot of leverage on the league now with the new TV deal, new stadiums and a new team joining the league, the players are united and playing hard ball with the league. From what I was told by a player source, the league responded to the players 24 page proposed, with a 2 page response, with no hard financial numbers on hit. All talks have now been cancelled. If things don't improve over the next 45 days, the players told the league they will call for a work stoppage vote, to show the owners, that they are united and serious this time around. The players union has been taken back by what they call the leagues inability to acknowledge and spread some of the new revenue coming into the league. The players union was shocked that the league only offered up a increase of 100,000 to the salary cap. The players started with a 1 million increase to the cap, of which they would have agreed to a 600,000 increase ( my source stated) the union was so upset at the start of these talks when the league threw out this tiny increase of 100,000 that the talks went down hill fast from there

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So if there was a work stoppage does that start at the end of June or the beginning? Wonder if they would scrap pre season games

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is normal for most labour negotiations. One side goes in with excessive demands and the other goes in with a lowball offer. Then they express astonishment at each other's temerity and stomp away for a while. If the players truly did go in asking for $1M, they knew they would not get it but it was their preferred starting point. If the owners truly did go in offering $100,000, they knew they would not get it but it was their preferred starting point. The two sides will get back to the table eventually, and a deal will be worked out.

It's also common for unions to start signalling, often through their membership, that "we mean business this time." The CFLPA has not always done that in the past, but it is standard practice for unions so they seem to be catching up to their counterparts in other industries. At some point the players may very well take a strike vote, but there is risk in that for the union -- they may not get an overwhelming mandate, especially if by then the owners have improved their offer enough to be meaningful to the many players paid at the low end of the scale.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Another update from 55 yard line.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl...190221232.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mmmmmm.... An interesting twist amidst the so called negotiations ....

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/20...tching+Post%29

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Van...712/story.html

Please Mr Nice guys ..... Please don't wreck the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Post Vanstone: CFL and players' association headed for labour showdown

Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Van...712/story.html

Please Mr Nice guys ..... Please don't wreck the season.
    It's not looking good. Hopefully they get this figured out soon because it could be financial suicide for both sides if they don't.

Vanstone: CFL and players' association headed for labour showdown:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Bla...712/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Pretty standard in terms of negotiating on first offers. My guess is the union may play a little harder this time.

I also find the CFLPA to be a complete joke, there was a story a few years about about them being "unable" to contact old players with pensions. A newspaper found them no problem.

They also run "contests" and end up giving the prizes to friends of players & employees of the presidents other businesses.
    I remember that....they were looking for Jeff Cummings, so I emailed them and told them he was coaching CIS ball on the East Coast...I found it odd they did not know that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    At least the CFL and the CFLPA got 2 days of discussions before setting the next discussions in
    May. I'm thinking the last discussions got cut off because the CFLPA stated they were having elections and the team at the Last discussions may not be the team in discussions after the elections .... So let's just state initial stance and call it quits till the final negotiating groups are in place.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/11...a-negotiations

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    We haven't heard anything new now for almost 2 weeks. Does anyone know when the next meeting is scheduled for ? Hopefully there has at least been an exchange of believable/reliable financial data for the CPFLPA to ruminate. There may be some 'learning curve' for the CFLPA representatives who mostly are new to these negotiations, while it may not be so for the team representatives.
    One can hope that they will soon get past the initial posturing phase and get down to business soon.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Any update on the CBA? CBA wishes

I would hope the salary cap goes up to $5 million, or at least $4.75 this year.

I'd like to see the minimum go up to $55K and there be a maximum salary of $450K so quarterbacks don't get all the benefit of the increased salary cap.

Also, playoff money needs to go up, $5K, $7K, $10K and $20K sounds good.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall. I don't know if you can raise the minimum salary from $45,000 to $55,000 (that's +$20) without raising the salary floor by a similar amount. I know this is not what the Players Association wants but I would actually be inclined to raise the floor marginally but raise the cap by a larger amount. Perhaps $4.3 million min and $5.3 million max (currently $4 and $4.4 million). Raise individual minimums by 10% but no individual maximums. This would allow a million dollar window for teams, which I actually think would be healthy for the league. If a team wanted to pursue a marquee player they'd have some wiggle room to do so but without being bound to substantial increases all round.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall. I don't know if you can raise the minimum salary from $45,000 to $55,000 (that's +$20) without raising the salary floor by a similar amount. I know this is not what the Players Association wants but I would actually be inclined to raise the floor marginally but raise the cap by a larger amount. Perhaps $4.3 million min and $5.3 million max (currently $4 and $4.4 million). Raise individual minimums by 10% but no individual maximums. This would allow a million dollar window for teams, which I actually think would be healthy for the league. If a team wanted to pursue a marquee player they'd have some wiggle room to do so but without being bound to substantial increases all round.
    I have heard nothing concerning meetings. Are there actually meetings/negotiations occurring, or is the "fly" wandering around looking for a wall to land on.

Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I would hope the salary cap goes up to $5 million, or at least $4.75 this year.

I'd like to see the minimum go up to $55K and there be a maximum salary of $450K so quarterbacks don't get all the benefit of the increased salary cap.

Also, playoff money needs to go up, $5K, $7K, $10K and $20K sounds good.
    I think there is a great danger of thinking that the CFL has found the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow", and trying to go too far too quickly. There also needs to be some sense of fiscal responsibility and thinking about the future. The changes that you suggest would cost more than $11 million per year. Then they still need to consider pension plan and revenue sharing, both of which the CFLPA has on their agenda. Add to that other increases for future years of the CBA, together with the "hope" that all teams will at least start to break even, and suddenly the pot starts to look rather empty.
    One oar still in the water !

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Behind closed doors, the CFL owners need to open the books. We know that more money will be made over the course of this CBA than has previously been the case. The players are (almost) all underpaid, and the salary cap should trend upward as much as possible. The CFL now finds itself in a place where all interested parties can and should fairly share revenues.

If the players strike no one wins - the damage to the league would likely be rather extreme. However, neither should the players accept a low-ball offer this time 'round.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    The league FINALLY has a chance to get on a solid footing. I really hope the CFLPA doesnt mess it up.
    Toronto, has no REAL ownership
    Montreal is in trouble if Doc Wentenhall dies, or wants out.

Like it or not, if owning a CFL team is not an attractive business proposition, then the league will be in big trouble again.

Things are pretty good right now...very much like was reported when then Commish Jake Gaudar made a big TV deal for the league which was suppose to finally put the CFL on stable ground...(yep that worked out great)

Sure the players need a little something, but not at the expense of attracting solid ownership, and league strength.

Like it or not, players come and go, the TEAM is what we go to watch
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021