Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Dan Bilicki tweeted about what an excellent piece was written by Frank Zicarelli. I'm sure we're bound to hear drivel from him on the matter soon, even though he's completely unqualified to do so.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Dan Bilicki tweeted about what an excellent piece was written by Frank Zicarelli. I'm sure we're bound to hear drivel from him on the matter soon, even though he's completely unqualified to do so.
    I had to look up on Google who Dan Bilicki is but, after doing so, I am not surprised that he would be praising Zicarelli. It doesn't look like Bilicki has ever written a word about the CFL (certainly not recently anyway).
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I had to look up on Google who Dan Bilicki is but, after doing so, I am not surprised that he would be praising Zicarelli. It doesn't look like Bilicki has ever written a word about the CFL (certainly not recently anyway).
    Every CFL article he writes is just pure garbage. I think he only writes on the CFL just to troll CFL fans, which he even admits in the third article.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/nosebleeds/foo...omment-page-1/
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/nosebleeds/foo...me-even-worse/
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/nosebleeds/foo...week-12-picks/

Here's a line that sums up his view

I really can’t wait until next year, when we have nine teams and likely one of the weirdest schedules that a football league has ever used. Here’s my quick solution: Fold the Argos. I’m not sure how many people will notice.
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/nosebleeds/foo...week-12-picks/
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bilicki is likely one of those in the "lost generation" demographic. The typical "lost generation" person supports the Maple Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays and an NFL team of his or her choice, but ignores the CFL and possibly the MLS, AHL and NLL. How vocal they are in denigrating the Canadian Football League varies in my opinion.

BTW, the players ratified the CBA so we are good to go! I'm curious to see how much opposition there was against the deal amongst members as we kept hearing about it, but I doubt the voting will be made public.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Glad to read the labour dispute is over & football is a sure thing this summer. I read on quite a few fan forums how CFL players make good $$$ for working 6 months a year. Wrong. These athletes work at their game the other 6 months a year or they won't last too long when the season starts. On top of that most have to work an offseason job.

Lets enjoy the season...I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last years EF. But have a good feeling from Saskatchewan thumping Hamilton in the Grey Cup...sorry zontar...

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    reminds me more of TPB (Cyrus).
    J-ROC thought he was black, which was the basis of my original premise. Know what I'm sayin'?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I thought the bolded section was interesting. Long overdue IMO

New five-year CBA ratified by CFL and CFLPA
    CFL.ca Staff June 13, 2014

TORONTO -- A new five year collective bargaining agreement has been officially ratified by both the Canadian Football League and the Canadian Football Players’ Association.

“This agreement provides stability for our teams at the same time it improves pay, health and safety, and mobility for players,” said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the CFL.

“We’re looking forward to a successful season and working together to grow this great league.”

“The Players are committed to putting the best possible product on the field and are excited to get back to the game that we all love,” said CFL Players’ Association President, Scott Flory.

The new agreement will be in place until the later of May 15, 2019 or the first day of training camp in 2019.

However, if the nine teams’ aggregate revenues (excluding Grey Cup) increase by more than $27 million in any year of the agreement, both sides will renegotiate an increase to the salary cap starting in the 2016 season.

The agreement changes the way players are classified. Instead of being known as non-imports and imports, they will now be classified as nationals and internationals.

A player will be considered a national player if he was a Canadian citizen at the time of signing his first contract, was classified as a non-import prior to May 31, 2014, or was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five years prior to reaching the age of 18.

In the past, a player could be born in Canada and have Canadian citizenship, but not qualify for non-import status if he received his football training outside of Canada. One example would be the sons of some former CFL players, who may have been born in Canada but learned their football in the U.S.

While some have long argued non-import players should simply be called Canadians, there remain some players in the league who were counted as non-imports even though they are not Canadian citizens.

The agreement also:

• Increases the current salary cap per team from $4.4 million to $5 million this year and an additional $50,000 a year in subsequent years to a total of $5.2 million in 2018.
    • Sets the minimum any team must spend on players’ salaries at $4.4 million this year, and an additional $50,000 a year in subsequent years, to a total of $4.6 million in 2018.
    • Increases the minimum pay for players from the current $45,000 to $50,000 this year and an additional $1,000 a year to a total of $54,000 in 2018.
    • Increases pension contributions from the current $3,600 for clubs and $3,600 for players to $3,700 each in 2014 and an additional $100 each a year to a total contribution of $4,100 each in 2018.
    • Provides a $1,500 ratification bonus per each rookie player, and $7,500 per each veteran player for ratification bonuses, with the union to determine the scale on which veterans will receive bonuses (with all such bonuses to be paid to players on team rosters as of June 22, 2014).
    • Increases a team’s active roster from 42 to 44 players, and decreases a team’s reserve roster from four to two players.
    • Amends the rules and regulations to provide for a six-game injured list, eliminating the nine-game injured list. Clubs are allowed to pull a maximum of two players off the six-game injury list early and without it counting against the salary cap for any player who continues to be on that list for more than six games.
    • Amends the training camp protocol to allow only one practice a day to have contact.
    • Amends in-season provisions to provide to allow only one practice a week to have contact.
    • Eliminates the current requirement for an option year on all future contracts with the exception of first contracts for rookie players.
    • Expands practice rosters from seven to ten players per team and, come the Fall, from 12 to 15 players.

“The CFL Players’ Association would like to thank our fans for their support and understanding during this process,” said Flory.

“I want to thank our players, teams and especially our fans for their patience during this time,” Cohon said. “Now it’s time to focus on what we all love: the great game of Canadian football.”

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Just read the Zicarelli blog or editorial or whatever it should be called, because I wouldn't call it a story. Balanced? Fair? Is the Sun going to be purchased by Rogers?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Just read the Zicarelli blog or editorial or whatever it should be called, because I wouldn't call it a story. Balanced? Fair? Is the Sun going to be purchased by Rogers?
    I hate to say this because of the great respect I have for the Sun sports section and how it covers the CFL, but we're at the point where we pretty well have to ignore what Zicarelli writes. Much of it makes little sense, and when opinion and "analysis" strays into the copy, things just get messier.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    The agreement changes the way players are classified. Instead of being known as non-imports and imports, they will now be classified as nationals and internationals.

A player will be considered a national player if he was a Canadian citizen at the time of signing his first contract, was classified as a non-import prior to May 31, 2014, or was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five years prior to reaching the age of 18.

In the past, a player could be born in Canada and have Canadian citizenship, but not qualify for non-import status if he received his football training outside of Canada. One example would be the sons of some former CFL players, who may have been born in Canada but learned their football in the U.S.

While some have long argued non-import players should simply be called Canadians, there remain some players in the league who were counted as non-imports even though they are not Canadian citizens.
    Does this mean the "most outstanding Canadian" award will be changed to the "most outstanding national"? As stupid as that sounds, I hope it is because it always galled me when Ben Cahoon -- a non-Canadian -- was chosen "most outstanding Canadian."

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Hmm. The active roster goes up by two, but I don't see any indication of the non-QB import/non-import - excuse me... national/international! - numbers. Does it go from 20NI/19I/3QB to 21N/20I/3QB?

Also, only one practice per week will have contact? I don't actually know what the current real-world situation is, but I had assumed there were multiple days of contact drills. Is that true?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Hmm. The active roster goes up by two, but I don't see any indication of the non-QB import/non-import - excuse me... national/international! - numbers. Does it go from 20NI/19I/3QB to 21N/20I/3QB?

That's what I read ..... Just can't remember where.

The following is a good explanation of the national/international scenario ..... https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...232941514.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post

Also, only one practice per week will have contact? I don't actually know what the current real-world situation is, but I had assumed there were multiple days of contact drills. Is that true?
    My assumption is that it will be one national and one international added but I would love to see confirmation of that. If you played for Don Matthews, it would be rare to have any contact drills during the season as I recall. It seemed to me as though contact drills were happening less frequently anyway but I am not sure what the average was for those.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force