Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Pre-Combine Argo draft picks thoughts

Who / what position would you like to see the Argos address - with currently holding #s 6 & 15 overall ?

Possibles: #6 - DT - Evan Gill (Manitoba); #15 - LB/DB - Antoine Pruneau (Montreal) - been a CIS all-star as both a DB and OLB.

Like to see emphasis on some defensive help = much more need compared to offence where Argos have good talent/depth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Upgrade the D-line with Gill if available. We seem to have good Canadian depth at both LB and DB. Other than Laing up front, Gill could perhaps rotate in. Could always use help on the O-line too I suppose.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Argos must be looking at Defensive help in this draft, wouldn't be using picks on O Line this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OV, any thoughts on any, if any prospects could really jump up the draft rankings after this weekends testing?

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Gill is available at 6, I would take him a heartbeat. He fits our needs. I hope we don't draft 4 recievers, all who are unknowns (aka surprise picks)
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Taking an OL won't hurt as they can always be used as trade bait but the last couple of years have shown draft picks finding a spot on the starting rotation so one never knows.
    Menard would be good for the Dline. The Dline is up for their bench press now so we can compare their strengths.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If Gill is available at 6, I would take him a heartbeat. He fits our needs. I hope we don't draft 4 recievers, all who are unknowns (aka surprise picks)
    I dunno... by my count we're 1/2 in recent years when going "off the board" to take a WR early, and that's a pretty good result.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Anthony Coombs is an intriguing prospect at running back: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/21...-prove-a-point

Perhaps we will see him in an Argos' uniform.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    OV, any thoughts on any, if any prospects could really jump up the draft rankings after this weekends testing?
    Menard probably jumped up with the leading bench # - i liked him when i saw a bit of his play in the Q - where he has been an all-star at both DT & DE - maybe undersized fora pro DT though, and wonder if he is quick enough at DE = maybe a tweener to the CFL?

The 2 DEs added from the regionals - Roper (SFU) and Romick (SMU) - might be surprise, dark-horse types - both have decent rush end size and athletecism = like to see the Argos get at least one DE, and Ainsworth & Wiggan are maybe the top rated guys there ; but one out of all these DEs should be available in the later rounds ?

More under the radar type guys perhaps: Terry Hart (O-lineman - AUS all-star at OT (but maybe an OG prospect in the CFL); receivers - Pierzchalski (U of T) or Pszoconak (Windsor); DT Quinn Smith (Concordia)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think Barker will take who he perceives to be the best player available at their #6 pick. Although that might be the McGill tackle who is headed to the NFL if the other teams pass on him. So maybe Jim will exclude him. The top OLineman should be gone by #6. They might have a shot at WR Bailey, DL Gill, LB Landry or maybe a DB like Lue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So after surfing thru various sites and twitters this weekend, i could get a few Argo interviews.....it looks like ....

Argos did interview OL Foucault , RB Coombs and LB Briggs...... FB Depuis , DB Thibeault (nice vertical, 4.45 40 4.34 hand held)

Argos did not interview R Fox

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    So after surfing thru various sites and twitters this weekend, i could get a few Argo interviews.....it looks like ....

Argos did interview OL Foucault , RB Coombs and LB Briggs...... FB Depuis , DB Thibeault (nice vertical, 4.45 40 4.34 hand held)

Argos did not interview R Fox
    Wouldn't mind seeing the Argos take Coombs - could contribute soon in a rotation at tailback.

Fourcault is IMO not near the O-Line prospect that Sewell is - who the Argos already have coming to camp - and I'll say again - makes close to zero sense to go O-Line with the depth and experience the Argos have (unless you were getting close to a sure fire blue-chip starter - which Fourcault ain't but Duvenay-Tardif, or perhaps Lavertu, may be).

Thibault is fast and a good "athlete" and all, but is very unproven as a DB (couldn't hold the starting job at S with Laval last season); as compared to Pruneau - who is also a very good atletetic tester, but also, and IMO, much more importantly, a proven defensive football player - CIS all-star / Q-Conference all-star as both a d-backfielder and an OLB.

Some other very good testers at this Combine: Ainsworth and Romick at DE; Briggs but up an excellent set of testing #s for a linebacker, and Casey Chin was quite good at LB too (plus has the on field tackling machine stats resume in US college ball); Quinn Smith at DT (very quick for a 300 lb+ DT); Pszczonak at receiver; Coombs tested very well too

Lots of good athletes at this Combine it seems - in what was supposed to be such a weak draft class - and some pretty proven football players too who have put up excellent stats and all-star play in CIS ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing the Argos take Coombs - could contribute soon in a rotation at tailback.

Fourcault is IMO not near the O-Line prospect that Sewell is - who the Argos already have coming to camp - and I'll say again - makes close to zero sense to go O-Line with the depth and experience the Argos have (unless you were getting close to a sure fire blue-chip starter - which Fourcault ain't but Duvenay-Tardif, or perhaps Lavertu, may be).

Thibault is fast and a good "athlete" and all, but is very unproven as a DB (couldn't hold the starting job at S with Laval last season); as compared to Pruneau - who is also a very good atletetic tester, but also, and IMO, much more importantly, a proven defensive football player - CIS all-star / Q-Conference all-star as both a d-backfielder and an OLB.

Some other very good testers at this Combine: Ainsworth and Romick at DE; Briggs but up an excellent set of testing #s for a linebacker, and Casey Chin was quite good at LB too (plus has the on field tackling machine stats resume in US college ball); Quinn Smith at DT (very quick for a 300 lb+ DT); Pszczonak at receiver; Coombs tested very well too

Lots of good athletes at this Combine it seems - in what was supposed to be such a weak draft class - and some pretty proven football players too who have put up excellent stats and all-star play in CIS ball.
    I agree with you regarding Coombs. With Jeff Johnson retiring that leaves Anthony Woodson as the lone Canadian RB on the roster with CFL experience. Coombs would fit in nicely as the #1 Canadian RB. I look forward to the draft as always.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I agree with you regarding Coombs. With Jeff Johnson retiring that leaves Anthony Woodson as the lone Canadian RB on the roster with CFL experience. Coombs would fit in nicely as the #1 Canadian RB. I look forward to the draft as always.
    OK - but IMO, depends on the role they would see for Coombs; the Argos already have Woodson & Gillanders (both very productive CIS tailbacks), so do they take Coombs thinking they just need more little used "NI RB depth" / special teamers? - because not sure there is need there; OTOH - if they think Coombs could be in the mix to actually contribute on the offence at tailback, then maybe a good pick. Sounds like Coombs will be a first couple of rounds type pick; and IMO those picks should be used on players you think might be able to help soon, if not right away on either offence or defence. Using a top pick on Coombs to just be a depth guy or special teamer makes little sense IMO, WHEN - you could be going for a player where you need help - like at DE or DT, or maybe a guy like Pruneau who might be able to play either at OLB or safety on D.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    OK - but IMO, depends on the role they would see for Coombs; the Argos already have Woodson & Gillanders (both very productive CIS tailbacks), so do they take Coombs thinking they just need more little used "NI RB depth" / special teamers? - because not sure there is need there; OTOH - if they think Coombs could be in the mix to actually contribute on the offence at tailback, then maybe a good pick. Sounds like Coombs will be a first couple of rounds type pick; and IMO those picks should be used on players you think might be able to help soon, if not right away on either offence or defence. Using a top pick on Coombs to just be a depth guy or special teamer makes little sense IMO, WHEN - you could be going for a player where you need help - like at DE or DT, or maybe a guy like Pruneau who might be able to play either at OLB or safety on D.
    Could Coombs fill a role similar to Andre Durie's? From the article I read about him, he seems to think that he could which would make him that much more attractive.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Could Coombs fill a role similar to Andre Durie's? From the article I read about him, he seems to think that he could which would make him that much more attractive.
    We could certainly use a guy who could step in as a top-notch backup to Durie. None of our backup receivers has the full package of speed, elusiveness and route-running that Durie brings. As a tailback who can catch, Coombs might be able to put such a package together.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We could certainly use a guy who could step in as a top-notch backup to Durie. None of our backup receivers has the full package of speed, elusiveness and route-running that Durie brings. As a tailback who can catch, Coombs might be able to put such a package together.
    Coombs is maybe a quite similar style tailback to what Durie was in CIS ball - smaller, but speedy, shifty, great open field moves style; wether that can covert to being a good CFL slotback like Durie has become, is a maybe but hardly a done deal. And even if he could make a good slotback, would you want to draft him to be Durie's back-up and under-study who doesn't play until Andre gets hurt or retires ? - or are you saying there could be room for 2 similar style starting slots in the Argo offence (unlikely IMO) ? . I guess Coombs might make a great pick if he could be an eventual replacement for Durie, plus play some tailback, plus play some STs well too for the Argos, but i wouldn't waste a top draft pick on him to be pencilled in as a back-up slotback project - he could leave to go back home as a FA to the Bombers before he ever contributes to the Argos.

Top 2 picks - IMO, again - should be used on players who you think can help/contribute on offence or defence - and soon if not right away; think back-ups, STers or projects with mid to late round picks; and IMO - the Argos have plenty of openings/need on defence - so the likes of DTs like Gill or Quinn Smith, or a DE ln Ainsworth, Menard, Romick or a DB/OLB type like Pruneau or Lue, might be able to help way more than Coombs could be a fit on the Argo offence. Just IMO of course and CFL decision makers often have a different view on the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I love Durie and strongly feel his skills are significantly underestimated, but he will be 33 in July and has already shown increasing fragility with age, although he is still producing at a high level. I therefore think that its time to start grooming a player, such as Coombs, as a replacement over the next couple of years. This would provide the bonus of not having to fill another position with a Canadian if Coombs succeeded. Of course, whether one should draft Coombs depends on who else is available, especially in the first round. Unless there was a truly outstanding candidate with relatively low chance of going to the NFL, I would prefer Coombs.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm not sure it's even realistic to try to replace Durie. He's... a quick slotback with great elusiveness that often lines up at RB and blocks well at that position but can also provide a safety valve, and also does pretty well when given the occasional handoff. And seemingly a good team guy who likes being in Toronto. And a non-import.

I think it's more likely that we eventually replace his contributions in different ways than find "another Durie". Picking up an athletic back with soft hands would be a good start, though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm not sure it's even realistic to try to replace Durie. He's... a quick slotback with great elusiveness that often lines up at RB and blocks well at that position but can also provide a safety valve, and also does pretty well when given the occasional handoff. And seemingly a good team guy who likes being in Toronto. And a non-import.

I think it's more likely that we eventually replace his contributions in different ways than find "another Durie". Picking up an athletic back with soft hands would be a good start, though.
    I wonder if Coombs could still be available in the 2nd round for the Argos; and they could go to the best defensive guy/fit with their 1st round pick? Possilbe i believe as not sure another CFL team would target a NI tailback with an early pick?