Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level

National Anthems

WOW...

Can anyone just sing the Anthems PROPERLY???...

Game 7 of the Kings v Sharks, some hip-hop chick destroys it ....at the Kentucky Derby, some female country singer add's "her twist", and brutalizes the US anthem.(BTW,there is a horse named after Tony Danza)...even Benoce wrecked it at a superbowl. Burton Cummins didnt do so well with the anthem at a recent Grey Cup.

In my humble opinion, the BEST anthem singers are those who perform it close to the traditional way, which more often than not, ends up with the crowd joining in. (which is far more inspiring)

I will say that, even though its not an anthem, the Flyers do an awesome duet of God Save America, with the young girl singing live along with Kate Smith on the video screen.

Flash back to the "good ole days", when Pal Hal used to play "The Maple Leaf Forever" at leafs games. (too bad this great song isn't used more often)
    Last edited by argonaut11xx; 05-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Argos have had some mistakes recently. I think last year someone sang the wrong line or sang the same line twice, something like that. Seems like the only one's that sing it well enough are the non professional singers like police or firefighters who sing at hockey games.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have never understood why anthems are even played at domestic sporting events. It reminds me of when they were played in movie theaters. What is the point? Aside from instilling patriotism, it serves no purpose. It is silly when O' Canada is played and the camera moves over, say the Raptors players, who are all from other countries. I understand their inclusion at international events like World Cups and Olympics.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I have never understood why anthems are even played at domestic sporting events. It reminds me of when they were played in movie theaters. What is the point? Aside from instilling patriotism, it serves no purpose. It is silly when O' Canada is played and the camera moves over, say the Raptors players, who are all from other countries. I understand their inclusion at international events like World Cups and Olympics.
    100% agree with this.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    best Canadian anthem I have ever heard was Jim Cornelison the
    Blackhawks singer. Wish the Argos hired that guy for a game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    No reason is needed - it's primarily because it's always been done that way - don't think so much ! In Thailand, where we spend much of our time, sharp at 6:00 PM every day everything stops while the national anthem is played everywhere.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    No reason is needed - it's primarily because it's always been done that way - don't think so much ! In Thailand, where we spend much of our time, sharp at 6:00 PM every day everything stops while the national anthem is played everywhere.
    So you agree, there is no reason and hence, no reason to do it. Just because something has always been done, doesn't mean it is the right way or there isn't a better way. What a crazy way of thinking! I can have fun with this one.

Why wear a mask when working with asbestos? Up until now, it was always been done without one.

Why throw a football forward? Backwards is the way it has always been done.

What should we do with these POWs? Pretend we are herding them into showers and then gas them. It's always been done that way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If not at sporting events then most would hardly ever hear it. So the playing of it is a tradition that reminds people here that many died so people today can sit and be bored by the anthem playing. It's not about the "players" on any team.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The anthem tradition is (slowly) on the way out, which is probably for the best. There's no need to push, ArgoZ - it's happening.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't mind it, but I wouldn't necessarily shed a tear if it were to be phased out either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    So you agree, there is no reason and hence, no reason to do it. Just because something has always been done, doesn't mean it is the right way or there isn't a better way. What a crazy way of thinking! I can have fun with this one.

Why wear a mask when working with asbestos? Up until now, it was always been done without one.

Why throw a football forward? Backwards is the way it has always been done.

What should we do with these POWs? Pretend we are herding them into showers and then gas them. It's always been done that way.
    I'm sorry but your examples are pretty "crazy" comparisons to the part of D-Gap-Willie's comment that essentially boils down to "it is tradition." When traditions infringe on safety or are ethically wrong than they absolutely need to be contested. However, I don't agree with D-Gap-Willie's "No reason is needed. Don't think so much." comments. There is no reason why a tradition, even one that appears to not really hurt anyone can't be discussed or shouldn't be discussed.

I have never understood why anthems are even played at domestic sporting events. It reminds me of when they were played in movie theaters. What is the point? Aside from instilling patriotism, it serves no purpose.
    When it comes to traditions you need to look to history to see why it was started and why it became a tradition. Some traditions have complex origins and have changed or evolved over time. Some have fairly simple origins and this one seems to fall in to that category. From what I've read it appears the anthem being played regularly at domestic sporting events started during World War 2 and is predominantly a North American thing. This is understandable as patriotism was a little more popular back in those days. Should it continue?

Personally I'm really 50/50 on it. I can understand your point that the anthem should be reserved for international sporting events. I can also understand Ron's point that because of those that gave their lives we have the freedom to enjoy sports and other recreational events. I'm sure Jehovah's Witnesses are against it on religious grounds but if we bent over for every religious tradition we would be living in one messed up society. I could be against the Canadian anthem for the use of "God" in the song as a secular humanist. However, I understand that God was a lot more popular when the song was written and it doesn't really bother me all that much.

We it comes to arguments about tradition for or against you have to look at how the tradition impacts personal freedom. A lot of traditions have emotional context more than anything else and when emotions are involved things are always more complicated. I honestly don't know what the right answer is here but boiling this down to "there is no reason, therefore get rid of it" isn't fair either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    if we bent over for every religious tradition we would be living in one messed up society
    T-Bone...in regards to your comment above,we are pretty much there now ...."Minority Rules", and "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

That said, I think the use of a national anthem at an event like the Olympics is pretty cool. While in most pro sports it seems its either a chance to give the owners niece a chance to sing, or a way for the owners to rub shoulders with other celebrities.

My point is IF your going to sing them, please just do it properly.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    T-Bone...in regards to your comment above,we are pretty much there now ...."Minority Rules", and "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"
    How so? Please be more specific.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Some of my examples were extreme, but that was what I was going for. I was having fun with it. I want to be clear that I will always appreciate the sacrifices people made for us during war times. I am simply arguing a point that's a little pet peeve of mine. But, let's go extreme again! Since it seems important to remember war at a CFL game, why stop at only our anthem? We better add our biggest war allies, US and Great Britain. Might as we'll add the Lords Prayer since that was tradition, but that only covers Christians. Finally they should read the CFL rule book, in both official languages of course, just so there is no confusion on the unique rules.

Just kick the ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Some of my examples were extreme, but that was what I was going for. I was having fun with it. I want to be clear that I will always appreciate the sacrifices people made for us during war times. I am simply arguing a point that's a little pet peeve of mine. But, let's go extreme again! Since it seems important to remember war at a CFL game, why stop at only our anthem? We better add our biggest war allies, US and Great Britain. Might as we'll add the Lords Prayer since that was tradition, but that only covers Christians. Finally they should read the CFL rule book, in both official languages of course, just so there is no confusion on the unique rules.

Just kick the ball.
    The point is NOT to remember war. No one with even some sense of sanity does not want to remember war. Perhaps remembrance of those who sacrificed in war is what you meant, but we have days already set aside for this remembrance.

I have noticed that the singing of the national anthem at CFL games varies greatly from city to city. In many cities, the fans will join in and enthusiastically sing THEIR national anthem, particularly in the west. There is nothing wrong with periodically reaffirming your patriotism, although a sports event may not seem to be the right venue. It's rather like saying, "Thanks Canada for the freedom,and the chance to be at this game".

I will never forget about 3 years ago, attending a game in Regina. Seated to our right were two gents in turbans, and I admit I was puzzled that they would be attending a CFL game. When the anthem began, they jumped to full attention and belted out the words with great fervour ( although very off-key and with heavy accents): I will never forget that ! Of course, in USA wannabee Toronto, I would not expect much of the same.

T-Bone Quote:
    "I could be against the Canadian anthem for the use of "God" in the song as a secular humanist."

That's one of the wonderful things about democracy as it should be. The majority gets to make the choices.
    ...and you are free to sing, "Humanism keep our land strong and free"
    One oar still in the water !

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Of course, in USA wannabee Toronto, I would not expect much of the same.
    The USA is seen as more patriotic than most, so if we're wannabes than shouldn't we be more patriotic than most? Anyway, at the majority of TFC games the audience sings the Canadian national anthem not a performer.

That's one of the wonderful things about democracy as it should be. The majority gets to make the choices.
    ...and you are free to sing, "Humanism keep our land strong and free"
    Like I said, it doesn't really bother me. If I were to change the lyric it would be "Please keep our land glorious and free!" That puts the responsibility of the directive on all Canadians instead of leaving it to the big man upstairs to take care of it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If I were to change the lyric it would be "Please keep our land glorious and free!" That puts the responsibility of the directive on all Canadians instead of leaving it to the big man upstairs to take care of it.
    Nope. He's doing a very good job keeping us free and glorious ... so I would not change a thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Like I said, it doesn't really bother me. If I were to change the lyric it would be "Please keep our land glorious and free!" That puts the responsibility of the directive on all Canadians instead of leaving it to the big man upstairs to take care of it.
    I will be honest that it does bother me a little. The inclusion of "God" only happened in the early 1980s IIRC. Of course, there was also Montreal anthem singer Rene Doucet's version which included the words "our rights and liberty" in the late 1970s.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I think it would be great to change some of the lyrics every few years, to keep it fresh and perhaps topical. "God keep our land glorious and free!" could become "Please come home soon, Mister Wayne Gretzky", for example.

Corporate sponsorship also worth exploring, up to a point. If Canadian Tire, for example, was willing to make a substantial contribution to the federal budget, tasteful mention of their fine products could be inserted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I think it would be great to change some of the lyrics every few years, to keep it fresh and perhaps topical. "God keep our land glorious and free!" could become "Please come home soon, Mister Wayne Gretzky", for example.

Corporate sponsorship also worth exploring, up to a point. If Canadian Tire, for example, was willing to make a substantial contribution to the federal budget, tasteful mention of their fine products could be inserted.
    I do remember when Gretzky retired, the anthem singer ended the Star Spangled Banner with "and the home of Wayne Gretzky!"