Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm not sure we would take Duvernay-Tardif at #15. We're quite deep at OL these days, and he could easily get a pretty long look in the NFL. Any team that drafts him will consider him raw (having "recently" converted from DT and playing Canadian rules) and will probably be patient.

Obviously it'll depend on who's still on the board at #15, and a hundred other factors...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm not sure we would take Duvernay-Tardif at #15. We're quite deep at OL these days, and he could easily get a pretty long look in the NFL. Any team that drafts him will consider him raw (having "recently" converted from DT and playing Canadian rules) and will probably be patient.

Obviously it'll depend on who's still on the board at #15, and a hundred other factors...
    Yeah - I'd take a flyer on Duvernay-T in the later rounds if he was still available (Argos drafted Tim Biakabatuka in the 6th round of 96 - and of course he never showed cause he was playing in the NFL).

Love to see the Argos go D-Line with their first pick - if it can work out - Quinn Smith or Evan Gill at DT, or Ainsworth or Menard at DE; = area of need and one of those guys might be able to earn playing time this season, if not soon after.

I also don't put a lot of stock in that CFL prospects' list order. IMO - Foucault at #2 is a huge reach; and not sure Thibault should be in the top 15 - there are way more accomplished football players available.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My question is why does the Top 15 prospects not have any Canadians playing in US schools? Surely there are some draft eligible players playing in the NCAA (there are kids drafted every year from the NCAA Div I or II). I know that the draft rules have changed to prevent drafting "futures", but still....

And I know that there are Simon Fraser players on the top 15. I've been to a few SFU games the past 2 years. Frankly I didn't think SFU were any better than a good OUA team. I was underwhelmed by SFU - they've been a pipeline to the CFL but they aren't that great.

I'd like to hear more about Canadian kids playing in the States.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    You know Barker we're sure to have a surprise pick or two of some Canadians playing in some little college in the US. As a matter of fact I do remember him saying he had his eyes on a young DL from The Punky Doodle State Pogos.
    My friends wife has a nephew playing at a small college in Colorado. He's a huge OL who grew up just outside of Calgary. Wonder if kids like this are even on the CFL radar screen. Well he obviously needs to have some ability but I know squat about him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    My question is why does the Top 15 prospects not have any Canadians playing in US schools? Surely there are some draft eligible players playing in the NCAA (there are kids drafted every year from the NCAA Div I or II). I know that the draft rules have changed to prevent drafting "futures", but still....

Rids has a couple on his list but they haven't applied for non-import status for the CFL draft..... May not be interested I take.

http://ridleyscouting.com/CFLDraft.html

Achievements:

Level
    It's not a particularly strong draft year over all, and as you pointed out, this is the first year where red-shirt juniors are ineligible. The net result is a weak crop of NCAA non-imports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

And I know that there are Simon Fraser players on the top 15. I've been to a few SFU games the past 2 years. Frankly I didn't think SFU were any better than a good OUA team. I was underwhelmed by SFU - they've been a pipeline to the CFL but they aren't that great.

There are next to no top notch, proven player NCAA Canadians (who played US college ball last season) available this draft - because of the CFL draft rule changes - a bunch of Redshirt Juniors (guys who became Seniors this past season) got taken in last year's draft and Redshirts not allowed to be taken this year = next to no guys who have finished their US college ball eligibility available this draft (they were all taken last year).

There will be some good US college ball Canadians - some Div. I ball starters - up in next year's (2015) CFL draft.

And speaking of Simon Fraser players - they have a receiver - Lemar Durant - a BC guy - who had a huge receiving season in 2012 but was injured or out a lot of last season. This guy is a big target and reportedly very fast; i believe he will be CFL draftable next year (spent a season in Div. I ball before SFU) - and maybe one of the top NI draftable receiver prospects in some time (and I'll bet he attracts some NFL interest).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    OVA, who would you take with our pick?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    OVA, who would you take with our pick?
    In guessing who would still be available at #6 (if that's what you mean -our first pick)? - a D player: one of - Quinn Smith or Evan Gill at DT; or Ainsworth at DE, or Antoine Pruneau (has been a CIS all-star as both a D-backfielder and OLB) - maybe could win starting S job or be a good back-up there or at OLB.

Achievements:

Level
    I don't think using #6 on Quinn Smith would be good asset management, OV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Perhaps he may not go as high in the draft as once thought, but he won't be going back to the CIS. He would be suspended for his last 2 yrs .... There is now a 24 yr age limit.
    Not having the choice to return may give him a positive in the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Oh, I dunno; Jim Barker seemed pretty sympathetic to the situation there; might affect his draft stock a bit I suppose; he won't be going back to CIS ball, and he's a big, athletic DT - a position not exactly full of stars or quality starters in CFL ball now, IMO. I'll guess he is still a first or at least a 2nd round CFL pick - and goes on to be an impact starter in the CFL, IF he goes to a team in need that gives him a real shot to play - that could be the Argos, but Edmonton looking to replace Laurent would make sense.

Achievements:

Level
    I think he'll fall into the 4th round or later. Quinn wasn't particularly highly regarded until the combine, and those results are now highly questionable. Plus, he now has "character issues".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think he'll fall into the 4th round or later. Quinn wasn't particularly highly regarded until the combine, and those results are now highly questionable. Plus, he now has "character issues".
    Not highly regarded by just who ? - I identified Smith as a very good CFL DT prospect last year - he was at the CIS East-West game and put up good testing #s there; he is a huge DT (CFL plus size) and a former Q conference all-star = he should have been way up on CFL radar by last year, but who know with CFL "scouting".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Here's an interesting analysis of our draft picks ...... http://www.riderprophet.com/2014/05/...w-toronto.html

I concur that a defensive lineman will be picked first this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not highly regarded by just who ? - I identified Smith as a very good CFL DT prospect last year - he was at the CIS East-West game and put up good testing #s there; he is a huge DT (CFL plus size) and a former Q conference all-star = he should have been way up on CFL radar by last year, but who know with CFL "scouting".
    IMO, depending upon the actual situation on draft day, Smith is well worth drafting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Argos trade up for Edmonton's #3 draft choice and take Anthony Coombs, my first choice as an Argo pick. Love it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Argos trade up for Edmonton's #3 draft choice and take Anthony Coombs, my first choice as an Argo pick. Love it!
    Gave up a lot ... But at least we still have a second round pick .
    Sad that Washington is gone... The others better step up.

Achievements:

Level
    Not a very accurate prediction on my part. Oh well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Coombs rated 8th, and the Argos somewhat sacrificially trade up to, in effect, declare that this particular running back (albeit non-import) is Number 3.
    At first glance, I don't see the wisdom in this trade+selection, and would be interested in hearing others' opinions on this subject.

Edit: Thinking more about it, it's justifiable, particularly in this draft I suppose. (We'll see how the Argonauts D performs soon enough.)
    Last edited by Argo; 05-13-2014 at 08:40 PM.