Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Personally I think more factors should be consider to determine "popularity." If you go by Twitter followers alone it goes as follows:

558K Leafs
    415K Jays
    398K Raptors
    73.8K TFC
    41.5K Argos

I think things like season ticket holder numbers, tickets sales, merchandise sales, etc. should be included in to the "popularity" measurement. Ultimately popularity doesn't
    determine what I enjoy.
    Twatter followers or facebook likes mean little aside from maybe explaining a leagues demographic. Its a genral consensus that CFL fans are a bit older a demo than other leagues. \The older someone is, the less time and interest there is for social media. The Argos are closing in on 30 thousand facebook followers and I would think that many Argos fans are not facebook people. Kinda kills brunts assessment that the Argos have 15 thou fans top when almost twice as many follow them on facebook.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Twatter followers or facebook likes mean little aside from maybe explaining a leagues demographic. Its a genral consensus that CFL fans are a bit older a demo than other leagues. \The older someone is, the less time and interest there is for social media. The Argos are closing in on 30 thousand facebook followers and I would think that many Argos fans are not facebook people. Kinda kills brunts assessment that the Argos have 15 thou fans top when almost twice as many follow them on facebook.
    Ok, this is why I said to Invader that he needs to define how to measure "popularity" it's not a standard measument. Any of these things alone are not enough in my opinion. I made a suggestion as to some of the things I think should be included. I would like to see the Argos be more "popular" but ultimately it won't change my enjoyment of going to games etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ok, this is why I said to Invader that he needs to define how to measure "popularity" it's not a standard measument. Any of these things alone are not enough in my opinion. I made a suggestion as to some of the things I think should be included. I would like to see the Argos be more "popular" but ultimately it won't change my enjoyment of going to games etc.
    I'd say TV Ratings and Attendance would be the best measurements. Not everyone uses social media.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'd say TV Ratings and Attendance would be the best measurements. Not everyone uses social media.
    Like I've been saying "popularity" is not a standard measurement and everyone will have a different set of criteria as to measure it. Personally I don't think those two things alone are enough for a fair assessment. I think additionally other measurable aspects of a teams existence should be included. Also, attendance is not always accurate. It would be nice to see it broken down to season ticket holders, tickets sold per game and giveaways to get a more accurate measurement of attendance. Apparently in the C&S days there were a lot more free tickets given away than now. As for TV ratings, I would still like to see the regional numbers for the Argos vs. the national numbers that are always being discussed.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Last weekend we stopped the truck to take pictures of cute sheep and baby lambs. Once one saw us and walked away, they all followed that original sheep. Just like Lemmings who for some reason follow the original off a cliff.
    Thus my comment of most sports fans are followers who can't make up their own minds. It's not just sports it's that mentality that if the majority of people are into it or doing it that it must be good. This is obviously why marketing works. I remember being the only Argo fan in my group of friends back in the 80's. The rest would mock the team with every loss. I no longer have any of those friends. Yet they all cheered for the loser Leafs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Thus my comment of most sports fans are followers who can't make up their own minds. It's not just sports it's that mentality that if the majority of people are into it or doing it that it must be good.
    I completely agree with the Sheep Theory. This poll almost proves it, showing so many Blue Jay fans at at time when every media outlet, sports and non-sports, was talking about the Blue Jays for a couple of days.

It doesn't have to be a majority of people into it, as long as the media is making a buzz about some team, there will be sheep-like people who will follow and pretend they are fans. I'd say about 10%-20% of Torontonians act this way.

I bet if they redid this poll today 25% of respondents would say the Raptors were their favourite team, because that's what the media, sports and non-sports, is buzzing about today.