Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Any other non Rider fans are either 1) Not football fans and 2) Have a symptom called "NFL onlyitis" much the same as many from the 416.
    I was speaking of the folks who were visible and posting comments on forums during the stadium debate.

Back to the poll, still remarkably consistent over the 700 votes since I've been watching.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Don't forget to vote in this weeks poll!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Some don't seem to grasp the signifigance of this. It doesn't matter if the poll is correct or even scientifically accurate (although it is a fairly larger sample), it's about perception. Rational thinking people see that and wonder why the Argos get little coverage or are derided by other so-called sports fans. It's a positive that can be used. When people are spilling things like this in your lap, you don't dismiss them, you use them.
    well said, its big picture thinking, that some people don"t get

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    its big picture thinking, that some people don"t get
    Ya, like when Cynamon & Sokolowski pulled out of the York University stadium deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ya, like when Cynamon & Sokolowski pulled out of the York University stadium deal.
    Yeah, there the same thing

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    April 5/2014

April 6/2014

April 12/2014

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Watching baseball highlights shows that crowds at games isn't what keeps the sport alive. Every stadium is friggin empty.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Watching baseball highlights shows that crowds at games isn't what keeps the sport alive. Every stadium is friggin empty.
    More and more it's about the television contract. And baseball has a very good one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Joe average sports fan being less & less able to shell out big bucks to attend "major league" sporting events" ? - MLB baseball has fricking 81 home games to attend; NHL hockey has 42. The CFL has 9 - that the Argos can't put 25+K bums in the seats consistently = ... ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Joe average sports fan being less & less able to shell out big bucks to attend "major league" sporting events" ? - MLB baseball has fricking 81 home games to attend; NHL hockey has 42. The CFL has 9 - that the Argos can't put 25+K bums in the seats consistently = ... ???
    I was amazed to see full arenas in both Edmonton and Ottawa tonight although I should not have been. There should have been thousands of empty seats at both of those games given the subpar seasons of all of the teams involved and the Oilers having been so bad for so long. As recently as the 1990s, there would have been too but it seems as though Canadian hockey fans will accept just about anything these days including labour disruptions which knock a full or half season off. On the other hand, if a CFL team has one non-playoff season, they seem to pay a price at the gate for it.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 04-13-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I was amazed to see full arenas in both Edmonton and Ottawa tonight although I should not have been. There should have been thousands of empty seats at both of those games given the subpar seasons of all of the teams involved and the Oilers having been so bad for so long. As recently as the 1990s, there would have been too but it seems as though Canadian hockey fans will accept just about anything these days including labour disruptions which knock a full or half season off. On the other hand, if a CFL team has one non-playoff season, they seem to pay a price at the gate for it.

The NHL gets wall to wall fawning media coverage up here; never under estimate that factor Ravi. OTOH - the CFL has long ago been sold down the river in it's own country by wannabes in the media who look down their noses at the CFL for being Canadian only / not "major league" or else ignore it or give minimal coverage; joe average lemming sports fan taken along for the ride.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa will be full as Leafs fans bought their tickets eons ago..... Edmonton because Smyth was retiring.
    Plus,, the schedule was smart with rivalries being played out at the end of the season.

But I agree, it is Canada.... isn't it similar to the US and football ? Religious like

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    For those that care about the numbers: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of MLB's 2013 Attendance

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The NHL gets wall to wall fawning media coverage up here; never under estimate that factor Ravi. OTOH - the CFL has long ago been sold down the river in it's own country by wannabes in the media who look down their noses at the CFL for being Canadian only / not "major league" or else ignore it or give minimal coverage; joe average lemming sports fan taken along for the ride.
    The NHL has it made in this country and no team more than the Leafs. CBC News Channel and CTV News Network both broke into their coverage for the Brendan Shanahan press conference today which, while significant sports news, did not warrant interrupting far more important actual news IMO. I recall that in the 1980s, it had to be an enormous sports story such as the Alouettes folding or the trade of Gretzky for it to be part of national newscasts. Today, the hiring of a new president of an NHL team is enough to be one of the big national news stories of the day.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The NHL has it made in this country and no team more than the Leafs. CBC News Channel and CTV News Network both broke into their coverage for the Brendan Shanahan press conference today which, while significant sports news, did not warrant interrupting far more important actual news IMO. I recall that in the 1980s, it had to be an enormous sports story such as the Alouettes folding or the trade of Gretzky for it to be part of national newscasts. Today, the hiring of a new president of an NHL team is enough to be one of the big national news stories of the day.
    Yep Ravi 2 opposites: at one end - the NHL - with tons of coverage, mostly positive or fawning (though some critical stuff) - and lead story usually on all the main media outlets - TV, newspapers, radio sports talk, + all kinds of dedicated hockey magazines and TV hockey talk shows; merchandise and gear out there everywhere, marketing = a HUGE amount of coverage, hype, attention, respect; at the other end - the CFL - very little coverage, often negative or derisive and sometimes even ignored all together - no dedicated CFL football publications (other than the league's own guide) - no fan magazines or fawning TV jock sniffers babbling about every detail of the league, day in day out; little merchandise or info to be seen in the stores or newstands, etc. = very POOR coverage, little hype, little respect.

Again - joe average sports fan lemming - taken along for the ride.

Thank gawd for the internet and the various CFL fan forums (like this one) - to give big CFL fans some news, opinions, and appreciated info.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Nice to see other folks who think like I do. I always refer to the follower sports fans as sheep.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Nice to see other folks who think like I do. I always refer to the follower sports fans as sheep.
    Because anyone that follows any team or league outside of the CFL must be a "sheep" or a "lemming." Funny you talk about their narrow minded thinking for dismissing the CFL, yet you and OV Argo's line of thinking is narrower.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Because anyone that follows any team or league outside of the CFL must be a "sheep" or a "lemming." Funny you talk about their narrow minded thinking for dismissing the CFL, yet you and OV Argo's line of thinking is narrower.
    Nice job of spinning or misconstruing their pal; more like your types - the ones who don't like to hear opinions other than their own narrow views and who put words in others mouths as a way to reply - are sheep like.

Why don't you stick to the footy forum? - you know nothing about Canadian football and your whole reason to be here is to defend other sports, or nit-pick arguments with Argo/CFL fans.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Nice job of spinning or misconstruing their pal; more like your types - the ones who don't like to hear opinions other than their own narrow views and who put words in others mouths as a way to reply - are sheep like.
    I was exaggerating but calling people "joe average sports fan lemmings" or "sheep" does not help attract people to the Argonauts, the CFL, or this forum. Yes, the Argonauts don't get their fair shake in the Toronto media but just because other stuff gets more coverage doesn't mean the average person is a brainless drone that can't see through the media hype, it's a more complex issue.

Why don't you stick to the footy forum? - you know nothing about Canadian football and your whole reason to be here is to defend other sports, or nit-pick arguments with Argo/CFL fans.
    I'm an Argo fan, that's why I don't just stick to the footy forums. I wasn't aware you are telepathic but I guess you already know that. Unlike some people I don't become an attendance expert by watching a highlight reel, I have to do some research. If I see the Argos misrepresented in that fashion elsewhere I do the same as I do here and try to use facts to clear things up. I also post game day information for Argo games on a footy forum I frequent just like I do TFC games here. Anyway, you are free to believe whatever you like. Carry on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    OV, "you know nothing about Canadian football and your whole reason to be here is to defend other sports, or nit-pick arguments with Argo/CFL fans" was both erroneous and uncalled for. T-Bone has made tons of valid points in his posts over the past couple of years, and is demonstrably both knowledgeable about and a fan of the Argos and CFL. I hope you will reconsider and ultimately rescind that comment. I, for one, want T-Bone on here as much as I want you (i.e. a lot).