Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    At least we have one LS on the roster but I say we still need more for some competition.
    I am a little concerned about Reinharts weight. I hope he hits the weight room in ernest. Interesting the Argos signed another Draft Pick in that receiver from U of Buffalo. Looks like a good project.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am a little concerned about Reinharts weight. I hope he hits the weight room in ernest. Interesting the Argos signed another Draft Pick in that receiver from U of Buffalo. Looks like a good project.
    I don't see a weight listed on the Argo site but he presumably is somewhere around 200. I don't think it matters too much because as far as I know long snappers can't be touched until they are running downfield after the snap. The snapper's job on punts is to get downfield as fast as possible and try to make tackles. In that respect a 200-pound snapper would be pretty much like the DBs and receivers who cover punts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't see a weight listed on the Argo site but he presumably is somewhere around 200. I don't think it matters too much because as far as I know long snappers can't be touched until they are running downfield after the snap. The snapper's job on punts is to get downfield as fast as possible and try to make tackles. In that respect a 200-pound snapper would be pretty much like the DBs and receivers who cover punts.
    My apologies Paul. I was making light of the fact his weight is not listed...judging by his photo in the Guelph uniform, he is similar stature to Remple, perhaps a bit shorter. Again, sorry for my lame sense of humor. I'm sure this kid has a chance to stick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    My apologies Paul. I was making light of the fact his weight is not listed...judging by his photo in the Guelph uniform, he is similar stature to Remple, perhaps a bit shorter. Again, sorry for my lame sense of humor. I'm sure this kid has a chance to stick.
    Ah, I see. No need to apologize -- I thought maybe his weight had been listed and then removed for some reason. Regardless, he does seem to be DB-sized.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    There is little to no evidence of smallish long-snappers in the pros; if it was about ability to get down field and help in coverage, why are there no DB, receiver, RB types in the 200 pound range with good or great speed & tackling skills who also happen to be good, accurate snappers? Apparently - and not sure on this - some (NFL ?) rule changes have been made to protect long-snappers ? IF teams could load up on blasting a light-weight snapper out of the way as a better chance to get to block the kick, you'd think they would relish the chance to do so? - so is some size & strength and some ability to absorb a rush as a good blocker part of the equation or not? - I do not know ?

Reinhart was a pretty good D player in CIS ball; IF he is an accurate snapper, then his D/tackling skills should be a big plus, but not if he is going to get blown out of the way most of the time he snaps cause he is too light ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    There is little to no evidence of smallish long-snappers in the pros; if it was about ability to get down field and help in coverage, why are there no DB, receiver, RB types in the 200 pound range with good or great speed & tackling skills who also happen to be good, accurate snappers?
    Because CFL GMs and coaches are lemmings? ;-)

IF teams could load up on blasting a light-weight snapper out of the way as a better chance to get to block the kick, you'd think they would relish the chance to do so? - so is some size & strength and some ability to absorb a rush as a good blocker part of the equation or not? - I do not know ?
    The only relevant CFL rule I could find reads:

A player shall be penalized for any act of unnecessary roughness against an opponent, including but not limited to: . . .
    (h) Contacting an opponent above the shoulders in an unnecessarily rough manner, including the long snapper on kicks from scrimmage and convert attempts, . . .

Since LSs are so low to the ground, the only place it is practical to hit them before they are upright after the snap is the shoulders, and that's basically not legal.

Some LSs have not been very big. Randy Srochenski, formerly of the Argos, was 6-2, 218 according to Wikipedia. That's shorter and about the same weight as Pat Watkins, who is admittedly one of the larger DBs in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Because CFL GMs and coaches are lemmings? ;-)

The only relevant CFL rule I could find reads:

A player shall be penalized for any act of unnecessary roughness against an opponent, including but not limited to: . . .
    (h) Contacting an opponent above the shoulders in an unnecessarily rough manner, including the long snapper on kicks from scrimmage and convert attempts, . . .

Since LSs are so low to the ground, the only place it is practical to hit them before they are upright after the snap is the shoulders, and that's basically not legal.

Some LSs have not been very big. Randy Srochenski, formerly of the Argos, was 6-2, 218 according to Wikipedia. That's shorter and about the same weight as Pat Watkins, who is admittedly one of the larger DBs in the CFL.

So why not train 185 pound DBs or RBs with 4.4 ish forty speed to be accurate long-snappers - they could blaze down the field, untouched after the snap, and surely lead the team in ST tackles? Maybe you could ask some of the good ole sheep about this ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So why not train 185 pound DBs or RBs with 4.4 ish forty speed to be accurate long-snappers - they could blaze down the field, untouched after the snap, and surely lead the team in ST tackles? Maybe you could ask some of the good ole sheep about this ? ;o)
    Obviously no one goes untouched after the snap, but lots of fast DBs and receivers cover punts and get past their blocks, so I don't see why a fast DB/receiver who happened to start in the middle of the formation couldn't do so as well. I would not be surprised to see a 200-pounder long snapping in the CFL at some point. There would seem to be no reason preventing it except good ole boy thinking. ;-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Obviously no one goes untouched after the snap, but lots of fast DBs and receivers cover punts and get past their blocks, so I don't see why a fast DB/receiver who happened to start in the middle of the formation couldn't do so as well. I would not be surprised to see a 200-pounder long snapping in the CFL at some point. There would seem to be no reason preventing it except good ole boy thinking. ;-)
    Oh c'mon now Paul - there are ways for the good ole sheep to rationalize anything ;o) - when a sub-200 pound long-snapper with great speed & tackling skills is "good enough" to play there, then you can bet he will, as the GMs and coaches "just want to win".