Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With regards to Childress's RedBlacks draft choices from the Argos, I could see Eppele being both available and taken. However, even though I like Norwood's running style and blocking, I doubt they would take him because of his age (31 in July 2014 - quite old for an RB) and his injury record in his short time with the Argos. I also agree with all of ArgoRavi's comments, although I would love to see Mitchell back in an Argo uniform. Who knows? He had an opportunity to go to the NFL earlier but resigned with the Lions. Khalif is nothing if not unpredictable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting stuff - good work !

I believe the RedBlacks will be able to do quite a bit better than your predicted depth chart however - especially in NI talent; Tristan Black i like at MLB, but Labbe, Pottinger, Brouillete or Plesius (very doubtful he plays OLB in the CFL) would be rated higher IMO; Kito Poblah best they can do at receiver? - sort of doubt it - the likes of Kohlert, DesLauriers, Charbonneau-Campeau, Bradwell, Akeem Foster, Feoli-Gudino are better choices and an aging vet like Paris Jackson would be iffy and might not report anyways; also should be able to get a good safety - Matt Black (could also play corner for them), King from Hamilton perhaps or Eric Fraser may be available; doubt they will go all-Canadian on the O-Line, but maybe; and have to do better than DeMarco at QB - even if they bite on a vet like Glenn (big mistake IMO) - they should be able to get one of Tate/Mitchell, Collaros, Willy, maybe LeFevour, over DeMarco who is just not very good IMO. RB - they would be crazy not to take Matt Walter and give him a shot, along with a couple of young new import backs they may bring in. Etienne Legare is a way better DT than Steele IMO and Jake Thomas is a better prospect there too, and Abadeyo may be a good one, but Capicotti, Gascon-Nadon or D-Aguliar might be better DE prospects.

Lots of choices for the new Ottawa team and should be a very interesting expansion draft.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 12-02-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level

CFL Combine Article and 2014 Mock Draft

Recently we have updated our CFL Draft coverage over at www.cflhorsemen.ca. Come an check our CFL Combine article www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-combine-report.html and our first Mock Draft www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-cfl-mock-draft-10.html .
    Please come and check us what us Stampeder fans are saying at www.cflhorsemen.ca

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Here's the second one from Mitchell.....http://blogs.canoe.ca/theoutwriters/...ock-draft-2-0/

Personally, I like the DL choice over the WR for the Argos first choice. Mind you, no one has asked me to help out with the draft this year, so you may be right CFLHorseman.
    Nice job and thanks for posting it for us to peruse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Interstin' stuff - good work Horsemen !

Mock drafts are always interesting, but iffy and rarely even close to accurate though - it is the CFL we're talking and iffy, questionable or downright bizzarre picks often happen.

Mitchell's mock there: I wouldn't mind seeing the Argos able to get Quinn Smith (note - the claim that he played both ways in college ball is a bit misleading - he was a DT (made Q all-star in 2012) who happened to play a bit on O-Line due to injuries), and Bastien at receiver - but rather see them get DB/OLB Pruneau if he is avaliable at #15 as suggested there - i believe he's got real talent and could maybe beat out either of Black or Gabriel for the starting S job in real TC competition or at least be an instant good ST gunner and depth D player at OLB or anyhere in the D-backfield. I believe a decent receiver prospect may still be available to the Argos later at #33 with a number of good receiver prospects this draft and no real hands down # 1 or 2 IMO.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level

CFL Draft Material

CFL junkies, looking for more draft material? Check out my Mock Draft for the 2014 event. I've also included links to my sources, which you may find interesting...

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/childresss...ock-draft.html

29 days until the CFL Draft! Can't wait!
    Please come and check us what us Stampeder fans are saying at www.cflhorsemen.ca

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Good stuff - thanks to Childress/Horsemen, Rids, CFL Daily for their fine work in providing some info & opinion on the CFL draft for us CFL junkies !

Interesting bunch of lists and mock drafts; seems some players get rated high based mostly on testing #s; so it will be interesting to see what CFL peronnel thinkers put emphasis on in their drafting. Do good testers get picked ahead of more proven players at times? At LB - Jesse Briggs put up a great set of testing #s and some have him rated above more proven play-making LBs like Chin, Caron & Landry; at DB - Thibault is the fastest / most athletic tester probably, but he is not even a proven starter in college ball, compared to all-star DBs like Lue or Pruneau; at receiver - bigger guys like Bailey and Bastien get rated highly but smaller receivers like Fox and Pszconak have put up better CIS receiving numbers - does the CFL trend to favor bigger NI receivers continue or do the smaller & very athletic guys get some notice ? (smallish CFL import receivers like Dressler & Owens have sure shown what they can do when they get the shot). Some very athletic DEs like Ainsworth, Menard or Romick - going to get a CFL shot to play on D where few NIs do lately, or maybe they are valued as depth guys or special teamers .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Good stuff - thanks to Childress/Horsemen, Rids, CFL Daily for their fine work in providing some info & opinion on the CFL draft for us CFL junkies !

Interesting bunch of lists and mock drafts; seems some players get rated high based mostly on testing #s; so it will be interesting to see what CFL peronnel thinkers put emphasis on in their drafting. Do good testers get picked ahead of more proven players at times? At LB - Jesse Briggs put up a great set of testing #s and some have him rated above more proven play-making LBs like Chin, Caron & Landry; at DB - Thibault is the fastest / most athletic tester probably, but he is not even a proven starter in college ball, compared to all-star DBs like Lue or Pruneau; at receiver - bigger guys like Bailey and Bastien get rated highly but smaller receivers like Fox and Pszconak have put up better CIS receiving numbers - does the CFL trend to favor bigger NI receivers continue or do the smaller & very athletic guys get some notice ? (smallish CFL import receivers like Dressler & Owens have sure shown what they can do when they get the shot). Some very athletic DEs like Ainsworth, Menard or Romick - going to get a CFL shot to play on D where few NIs do lately, or maybe they are valued as depth guys or special teamers .
    I also thank all those that put out info and mock drafts .... Definitely keeps the pre season interesting.

It is true that many look at the numbers the combine produces to produce there opinion, but also the regional influence plays a part in the mock drafts. There was a mock draft out of Winnipeg ..... Commenting that Fox's production in the CIS may have been boosted because he played against poor defences in the Q. I strongly disagree with that having watched RESQ and OUA. Games..... But then again that may be my bias as well.

I believe I read somewhere , that Briggs did well in the one on ones.... Which is better reflective of their actual football capabilities. Smith and Ainsworth improved their stock with those. If I were a player I would want to do well in the one on ones and be in the top five of the tests pertinent to my position.

Size.... That's something's that is a gift, those that are tall, strong and fast.... You can teach other aspects of football. Of course the player has to be ' coachable' . I hope Fox does well with whichever team takes him.... I am sure he can be the exception to the unwritten rule.

The mock drafts and rankings that may be a better reflection of reality will be those that include viewing film of actual game footage. Mind you, it's fun to read all the mock drafts and comment . Probably fun creating them too ....personally I Need that 8 th day in the week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I also thank all those that put out info and mock drafts .... Definitely keeps the pre season interesting.

It is true that many look at the numbers the combine produces to produce there opinion, but also the regional influence plays a part in the mock drafts. There was a mock draft out of Winnipeg ..... Commenting that Fox's production in the CIS may have been boosted because he played against poor defences in the Q. I strongly disagree with that having watched RESQ and OUA. Games..... But then again that may be my bias as well.

I believe I read somewhere , that Briggs did well in the one on ones.... Which is better reflective of their actual football capabilities. Smith and Ainsworth improved their stock with those. If I were a player I would want to do well in the one on ones and be in the top five of the tests pertinent to my position.

Size.... That's something's that is a gift, those that are tall, strong and fast.... You can teach other aspects of football. Of course the player has to be ' coachable' . I hope Fox does well with whichever team takes him.... I am sure he can be the exception to the unwritten rule.

The mock drafts and rankings that may be a better reflection of reality will be those that include viewing film of actual game footage. Mind you, it's fun to read all the mock drafts and comment . Probably fun creating them too ....personally I Need that 8 th day in the week.

Not sure Fox is even going to get drafted; when Sebastien Levesque - one of the best CIS tailbacks in years IMO, and out of the Q - is not CFL drafted; I noticed that mock draft comment about Fox playing in the Q, and I have to disagree too - the Q has very good talent and is maybe the strongest conference including on defence; and that same poster went on to pump the tires of West conf. receiver Kit Hillis ??? I wonder is some CFL thinkers may not be all that keen on some top Q players and if maybe language concerns are an issue - a number of top Q players have been over-looked in some recent drafts; be interesting to see where the likes of Pruneau, Menard and Fox go in this draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mmmmmm..... Sebastion Levesque ..... He's the guy that would hold his breath the whole length of the field when running.

Language could be a factor for those in the Q. Fox though went to Bishops .... An English university. I recall hearing one of the Montreal Carabins players commenting he went to Florida for training so that he was emersed in an English environment. Macciocia has also commented that he often discusses his football in English so that the players have the opportunity for post CIS. Football.

I was just reading about Doctor Cassama from Calgary ..... He would be good to sign. I didn't realize he was up for drafting or signing already.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/17...for-nfl-scouts

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Mmmmmm..... Sebastion Levesque ..... He's the guy that would hold his breath the whole length of the field when running.

Language could be a factor for those in the Q. Fox though went to Bishops .... An English university. I recall hearing one of the Montreal Carabins players commenting he went to Florida for training so that he was emersed in an English environment. Macciocia has also commented that he often discusses his football in English so that the players have the opportunity for post CIS. Football.

I was just reading about Doctor Cassama from Calgary ..... He would be good to sign. I didn't realize he was up for drafting or signing already.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/04/17...for-nfl-scouts
    I believe Cassama was draftable last year and not picked - not sure though.

And I believe most Q players from the French schools are pretty well usually bilingual - maybe some speak English with a heavy accent though; there just seems to have been a few curious CFL draft pass-ups on some very good Q players in the past few years, but, it is the CFL draft we're talking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I wonder is some CFL thinkers may not be all that keen on some top Q players and if maybe language concerns are an issue - a number of top Q players have been over-looked in some recent drafts.
    Not sure I buy this, OV, as more Quebec natives are drafted these days than players from any other province IIRC.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Not sure I buy this, OV, as more Quebec natives are drafted these days than players from any other province IIRC.
    Yeah Ravi - lots of good Quebec players and plenty of them drafted; I'm not saying there would be a league wide reluctance to draft French language first players - might be a factor on one or two teams though, or maybe none.

There are plenty of other potential factors that may contribute to CFL draft quirks or bizzarreness - that sometimes sees seeming top notch college ball talent over-looked / not drafted at all, while some unheard of / did little in college ball player or big reach "projects" do get picked. We've seen plenty of that in the past - when the CFL draft was only 6 rounds with 8 teams = 48 players to draft; now with 9 teams and 7 rounds = 63 players to draft ... ?

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Since there is a lack of coverage, there are a lot of things that the fans might be left out on. Not sure if someone reported a similar case but perhaps some good players just have no desire to play pro. Like how Jones was going to go to med school. Jones went on to play with the Stamps but maybe there are more who actually have followed through with their word.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:
    Level

More draft info...

Check out CFLHorsemen.ca for more draft info:

1) I wrote up an article looking at the new eligibility rules and their impact on the draft. With next to no NCAA players, the draft is significantly weaker. I breakdown some numbers and compare against the last three drafts.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/impact-of-new ... rules.html

2) Barry has compiled a draft list consisting of all players who attending either a CFL regional or the main combine. He has all their testing information and links to video footage for most of them.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2014-prospect-list.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not sure I agree that it makes this draft is significantly weaker.... it's different.

i)The players the teams are drafting are all eligible to play and potentially can play this training camp. The NCAA talent is still there but will be selected next year rather than this year. Those players weren't going to contribute this year anyway even if they were on the list.
    ii) A team cannot play the guessing game or as I considered it .... playing futures.

In effect, the number of choices are down this year, but those teams that selected NCAA players last year (which I think many teams did for exactly this scenario) , will have players coming in to fill the void.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not sure I agree that it makes this draft is significantly weaker.... it's different.

i)The players the teams are drafting are all eligible to play and potentially can play this training camp. The NCAA talent is still there but will be selected next year rather than this year. Those players weren't going to contribute this year anyway even if they were on the list.
    ii) A team cannot play the guessing game or as I considered it .... playing futures

In effect, the number of choices are down this year, but those teams that selected NCAA players last year (which I think many teams did for exactly this scenario) , will have players coming in to fill the void.

This draft crop would have been stronger IF the NCAA Juniors were still available; but - IMO - it is a pretty good draft crop - and with some good talent at all position groups (outside of QB of course - a position that is irrelevant in the CFL draft basically). At least 3 or 4 good prospects at all position groups (including RB IMO where only Coombs is getting much mention).

Next year's draft with some good NCAA NIs should be very strong.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe Cassama was draftable last year and not picked - not sure though.

And I believe most Q players from the French schools are pretty well usually bilingual - maybe some speak English with a heavy accent though; there just seems to have been a few curious CFL draft pass-ups on some very good Q players in the past few years, but, it is the CFL draft we're talking.
    Cassama is officially listed as an import because he played American football in Sweden prior to coming to Canada. The Dinos have had 6 to 8 (depending on your source) NFL teams contact them about Doc and Green Bay went to Calgary to see him run through drills.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    In the last 5 years here are the schools with the most CFL Draft Picks:

Calgary 19
    Saint Mary's 14
    Laval 12
    Concordia 11
    Western 11

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post

Interesting stuff - love to see the Argos be able to get both Gill & Coombs, but i doubt it. Very doubtful IMO that Laing plays at DE in a Burke D though - but Laing and Gill in a rotation at one DT spot would be nice = those 2 + Emry + Gabriel and/or Black at safety = 3 NI starters on the Argo D.

I'll bet against Ottawa taking Foucault (maybe most over-rated top prospect this draft) 1st overall though; Lavertu or Goosen more likely as an O-line pick there IMO; they might also look to Quinn Smith (this guy might be an instant starter at DT and agreed Esks might like him to replace Laurent) or a receiver (Bailey or Bastien) where they have big need.