Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    This isn't a right vs wrong thing. Life isn't all black and white. I know that if I played violent video games when I was a teen I'd want to harm people. Instead I just took it out on the ice during my hockey games. Good thing that I'm just so very mellow now.

Thankfully I have no use for video games or killy kill movies.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    This isn't a right vs wrong thing. Life isn't all black and white.
    I agree there is a lot of grey in life but what happened to those kids in Calgary and the women you met in Cowichan Valley was wrong both legally and morally.

I know that if I played violent video games when I was a teen I'd want to harm people. Instead I just took it out on the ice during my hockey games. Good thing that I'm just so very mellow now.
    So, you used hockey as a release for aggression? Did you ever consider many people do the same thing with video games? Bottom line, violent video games and movies do not cause violence. People are smart enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality. We all have the potential for violence you can't point to just one factor, it's a complex issue. Upbringing though is a large factor in how we deal with aggression. Unfortunately some people are more prone to violence, a lot of times due to circumstances they can't control. A child that was abused is at a much higher risk of becoming an abuser in their adulthood. Many kids join gangs due to lack of structure in their lives. Sometimes it's a single parent family, that parent isn't around because they are working the majority of the time to make ends meat and the child is left to fend for themselves. That's why school and after school activities are important for children especially in these higher risk categories. This also leads in to why role models are so important for kids.

Thankfully I have no use for video games or killy kill movies.
    To each their own.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I do agree with you there. The biggest thing that parents can instill in their children is confidence. With that the sky's the limit with what one can accomplish in life. It truly is a deeper subject that I make it out to be.

I'm very interested to see what the professionals think about the obviously very intelligent Calgary murderer. This one really is a head shaker when you think of all this kid seemingly had going right in his life. He had to have some serious depression.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I'm very interested to see what the professionals think about the obviously very intelligent Calgary murderer. This one really is a head shaker when you think of all this kid seemingly had going right in his life. He had to have some serious depression.
    Mental illness is a whole other animal. We'll just have to wait and see what comes from this case.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I live very close to mental illness as my wife suffers from clinical depression and anxiety. It doesn't help that she lives with a guy who has issues with being a total fool and clown. I just can't help being a prankster and goofball.
    No one would even be able to tell that she suffers from these.

To top it all off she works at Canadian Mental Help in the accounting department. She has to take training to learn how to deal with a violent situation or what to do with a suicidal person who calls in when she covers a receptionist who is on lunch. She actually just brought up a point at work the other day about putting someone on hold. She thought that would force a hangup. They teach to just ask, "are you feeling suicidal" because they have reached out they won't hang up.

Speaking of which nothing has been mentioned on this site but many Argo fans lost a great guy in Argo Ed who left to live in the Dominican Republic about four years ago now. About three to four weeks ago we had the news that this seemingly happy guy with tons of friends commit suicide down there. Talk about horrible news. Many fun memories riding the GO train with Ed, Sacramento trip watching the Argos lose on the same night that Joe Carter hit his huge World Series winning home run.
    I'm just speculating but I know Ed must have been very affected from the 911 incidents because his former company in Toronto had offices in the Twin Towers and he lost friends. I think that helped him make his choice to move to The Dominican Republic. Just my thoughts as we'll never know.

Just talk people, as no one wants to lose friends in this manner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I live very close to mental illness as my wife suffers from clinical depression and anxiety. It doesn't help that she lives with a guy who has issues with being a total fool and clown. I just can't help being a prankster and goofball.
    No one would even be able to tell that she suffers from these.

To top it all off she works at Canadian Mental Help in the accounting department. She has to take training to learn how to deal with a violent situation or what to do with a suicidal person who calls in when she covers a receptionist who is on lunch. She actually just brought up a point at work the other day about putting someone on hold. She thought that would force a hangup. They teach to just ask, "are you feeling suicidal" because they have reached out they won't hang up.

Speaking of which nothing has been mentioned on this site but many Argo fans lost a great guy in Argo Ed who left to live in the Dominican Republic about four years ago now. About three to four weeks ago we had the news that this seemingly happy guy with tons of friends commit suicide down there. Talk about horrible news. Many fun memories riding the GO train with Ed, Sacramento trip watching the Argos lose on the same night that Joe Carter hit his huge World Series winning home run.
    I'm just speculating but I know Ed must have been very affected from the 911 incidents because his former company in Toronto had offices in the Twin Towers and he lost friends. I think that helped him make his choice to move to The Dominican Republic. Just my thoughts as we'll never know.

Just talk people, as no one wants to lose friends in this manner.
    A very touching story. Thank you for sharing.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies