Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Jonathan Williams

Williams who started several games last year for the Argos and was drafted early in the Ottawa Expansion draft no longer is listed on the Redblacks roster. I count 3 early picks Ottawa used that are no longer with them, the others being Marwan Hage and AV's favorite QB Kevin Glenn....seems like poor selections.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    They also lost out on Kohlert, as expcted
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Marcel... "benefit of the d o u b t"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Marcel... "benefit of the d o u b t"

We shall see. Can he ****-up the RedBlacks as much as Tillspin was incompetent for the Renegades ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    We shall see. Can he ****-up the RedBlacks as much as Tillspin was incompetent for the Renegades ?
    As long as Rick Campbell isn't anywhere near as bad as Joe Paopao was, he should be okay. Tillman's hiring of Paopao and his work in Edmonton have sullied his reputation somewhat in recent years. Yes, Saskatchewan won a Grey Cup under his watch but how much of that was due to the work that Roy Shivers had already done?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    As long as Rick Campbell isn't anywhere near as bad as Joe Paopao was, he should be okay. Tillman's hiring of Paopao and his work in Edmonton have sullied his reputation somewhat in recent years. Yes, Saskatchewan won a Grey Cup under his watch but how much of that was due to the work that Roy Shivers had already done?

And the Garden Gnome won a GC as Esks' HC = big deal: Shivers was/is an over-rated, myopic CFL good ole boy clown - how's he doing now in BC, or Vegas, or wherever it is ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If Williams is actually a free agent, I'd bring him back for a second go-round here. He showed promise last season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If Williams is actually a free agent, I'd bring him back for a second go-round here. He showed promise last season.
    I agree totally.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Jonathan Williams is still listed on the RedBlacks Roster. Number 75 DT. But I agree they don't keep things updated completely. They have announced OT J. McCuller signed a while back and he still isn't on their roster. With Kevin Glenn moving on to BC Ottawa should be annuoucing another QB signing in the near future. Maybe they will bring back their first QB signing Faulkner for TC. Another early signing LB Turnbull has disappeared form the roster. Mini Camp probably weeded some out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level

I am not so sure.
    You guys are tough on Tillman.
    It has been documented how the Renegades fractured ownership was so brutal throughout and especially the third year they basically pulled the rug under Tillman and Paopao.
    I recall how kind Joe had to use his own visa to pay the players flight or was it the meal.
    Meanwhile, the scouting was greatly reduced and ET had to go with only 2 QB's.
    They were on track and would have likely cracked the yearly winning percentages.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I am not so sure.
    It has been documented how the Renegades fractured ownership was so brutal throughout and especially the third year they basically pulled the rug under Tillman and Paopao.
    I recall how kind Joe had to use his own visa to pay the players flight or was it the meal.
    They were on track and would have likely cracked the yearly winning percentages.
    Argos fans - especially those whose youth is fairly far behind them - should be able to easily relate to "ownership ... so brutal".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am not so sure.
    Paopao used his own credit card back in 1996 with B.C. IIRC, he never had to use it in Ottawa. Furthermore, Paopao stabbed Tillman in the back, at least according to Tillman, which is why Tillman had no power in 2004 and Paopao was there through the end of the '05 season while Tillman was back at the CBC. Yes, there were ownership issues too but the ultimate bad decision that Tillman made which bit him in the behind in a huge way was hiring Paopao to be his head coach.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Jonathan Williams is still listed on the RedBlacks Roster. Number 75 DT. But I agree they don't keep things updated completely. They have announced OT J. McCuller signed a while back and he still isn't on their roster. With Kevin Glenn moving on to BC Ottawa should be annuoucing another QB signing in the near future. Maybe they will bring back their first QB signing Faulkner for TC. Another early signing LB Turnbull has disappeared form the roster. Mini Camp probably weeded some out.
    Odd...I checked the Redblacks roster before I posted this thread & did not see him there....the premise of my thread is out the window...

Paopao used his own credit card back in 1996 with B.C. IIRC, he never had to use it in Ottawa. Furthermore, Paopao stabbed Tillman in the back, at least according to Tillman, which is why Tillman had no power in 2004 and Paopao was there through the end of the '05 season while Tillman was back at the CBC. Yes, there were ownership issues too but the ultimate bad decision that Tillman made which bit him in the behind in a huge way was hiring Paopao to be his head coach.
    In an interview Tillman stated the team hired a "Bean Counter" near the end, so he had no $$ to run the team properly (see C&S in 2009 I believe). I am still a huge fan of ET...signing a former NFL db to be your qb who eventually wins the league MOP award? Not a bad judge of talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Gilthethrill, maybe you alerted Desjardins to a clerical error regarding their roster and they have put Williams on as a result of your find. As for Tillman, I have always liked him myself. His stint in Edmonton did not end well although it did start well before he traded Ray to the Argos. The Renegades did go from 4-14 in '02 to 7-11 in '03 before ownership and Paopao undercut him in '04. However, I still believe the fatal mistake he made was hiring Paopao to be his head coach and I suspect that Tillman would admit that today. Tillman did a good job keeping the Riders competitive and as a contender during his time there but the '07 team was largely built by Roy Shivers although Shivers and Danny Barrett could not get that team over the hump while Tillman and Kent Austin did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Gilthethrill, maybe you alerted Desjardins to a clerical error regarding their roster and they have put Williams on as a result of your find. As for Tillman, I have always liked him myself. His stint in Edmonton did not end well although it did start well before he traded Ray to the Argos. The Renegades did go from 4-14 in '02 to 7-11 in '03 before ownership and Paopao undercut him in '04. However, I still believe the fatal mistake he made was hiring Paopao to be his head coach and I suspect that Tillman would admit that today. Tillman did a good job keeping the Riders competitive and as a contender during his time there but the '07 team was largely built by Roy Shivers although Shivers and Danny Barrett could not get that team over the hump while Tillman and Kent Austin did.
    I honestly forgot about the Ricky Ray trade....not one of ET's best moves...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Aside from trading RR, Tillman grated beyond belief when he sprinkled every broadcast interview he ever did with repeated phrases and words like "truthfully" and "let me be frank," implying that, unlike other sports managers, he could actually be trusted to always tell the truth. It's a shameful and inherently false way to ingratiate yourself with the audience, and comes off (ironically) as completely insincere to any astute listener/viewer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I honestly forgot about the Ricky Ray trade....not one of ET's best moves...
    I also like ET, who remains as the Ticats are finding out very well connected throughout the US for talent.
    Also, like it or lump it he is not gun shy to pull the trigger on a trade like Ricky Ray which was not the best.
    Meanwhile, moving Kerry Joseph just after his best before date which created the Darien Durant era is one of the best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I also like ET, who remains as the Ticats are finding out very well connected throughout the US for talent.
    Also, like it or lump it he is not gun shy to pull the trigger on a trade like Ricky Ray which was not the best.
    Meanwhile, moving Kerry Joseph just after his best before date which created the Darien Durant era is one of the best.
    He's a very good scout, but became too arrogant as a GM. The Ray trade was nothing but arrogance on his part. I guess he figured QB isn't an important position in the grand scheme of things, because he replaced an aging Kerry Joseph after a Grey Cup season. In his mind, why would things be different if he traded Ray?
    It's us vs the rest of the country