Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Pass interference challenge: open for discussion

So I would like to hear some comments on this possible rule change.
    I can see some advantages and some disadvantages..... But never having played or coached, I was wondering what others would comment.

http://cfl.ca/article/open-for-discu...-table-changes

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    So I would like to hear some comments on this possible rule change.
    I can see some advantages and some disadvantages..... But never having played or coached, I was wondering what others would comment.

http://cfl.ca/article/open-for-discu...-table-changes
    My initial impulse would be to say no to having judgment calls subjected to review but after thinking about it further, it may not be a bad idea. This is the one proposed rule change I especially like and hope is adopted: "Allowing offenses to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defense to substitute."

That rule change would get us back to a faster pace of game which the Canadian game should be. It would certainly provide the offences with another advantage too. I suspect that the likes of dinosaur Wally Buono would not approve of this however.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This is the one proposed rule change I especially like and hope is adopted: "Allowing offenses to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defense to substitute."

That rule change would get us back to a faster pace of game which the Canadian game should be. It would certainly provide the offences with another advantage too. I suspect that the likes of dinosaur Wally Buono would not approve of this however.
    Yes, this is long overdue and I am really hoping it gets approved. The impact will be two-fold: 1. Defences won't be as readily equipped to stop offences, and 2. With the 20-second clock starting sooner during real clock time, there will be more offensive plays per game. The latter has declined appreciably since the clock timing rules were changed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yes, this is long overdue and I am really hoping it gets approved. The impact will be two-fold: 1. Defences won't be as readily equipped to stop offences, and 2. With the 20-second clock starting sooner during real clock time, there will be more offensive plays per game. The latter has declined appreciably since the clock timing rules were changed.
    Rather surprisingly IMO, this rule was approved by the rules committee along with a number of other proposed changes: http://www.cfl.ca/article/video-revi...ne-step-closer

I really did not expect to see either the QBs having their own footballs or the centre being allowed to bob their head rules being approved. I would expect the BOG to simply rubber stamp any of these proposed changes as that is what they usually do.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The "own ball" rule is surprising to me, but I guess QBs must have been asking for it.

I'm happy to see all of these (likely-to-be) implemented. These sorts of experiments are interesting, and they can all be rescinded next year if proven counterproductive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    The "own ball" rule is surprising to me, but I guess QBs must have been asking for it.

I'm happy to see all of these (likely-to-be) implemented. These sorts of experiments are interesting, and they can all be rescinded next year if proven counterproductive.
    That one of QB's having "their own ball" is a new one. I guess it isn't that big a deal except for the QB's of course. On the PI rule? I would be ok with a Coach being allowed one review per game. Otherwise there would be a yellow flag on just about every close covered passing play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    NFL QBs (and possibly kickers as well) have been able to choose their own footballs for some time. It makes sense to ensure they are as comfortable as possible with the ball they're throwing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Glen Johnson makes similar arguments to yours, Paul: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Pro...548/story.html