Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fan day 2014.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I was late, so heard on the radio there was about 500 or so.... Sounded about right by the time I got there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I was really disappointed in the way it was run this year. In years past, the Argos would have some very simple practice which lasted maybe 20 minutes and then they'd ask the kids to join them on the field to play some football with them. I understand the issue about staying off the field, but this time the Argo practice just went on and on and on and I think many people just gave up and left. It was too sunny to be sitting and waiting around all that time. I eventually left and they were still on the field when I drove away.

There were some good moments there when Jim Barker and then some of the coaches took turns with the microphone during drills to do a play by play of what was going on and we got to hear the names of the players in those particular drills along with some info on him. That was new and it was good.

Most popular guy there was Chad Kackert. Before they got deep into practice he was on the sideline and stood there for at least half an hour with a long line of people, waiting to say hello, get an autograph or a picture with him. He looked like the new Pinball !! Kackert then put the team through some drills and I must say, he looked okay doing all those drills for the team, so I wonder why he cannot play !! I guess he just cannot do things at the required speed right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    I was really disappointed in the way it was run this year. In years past, the Argos would have some very simple practice which lasted maybe 20 minutes and then they'd ask the kids to join them on the field to play some football with them. I understand the issue about staying off the field, but this time the Argo practice just went on and on and on and I think many people just gave up and left. It was too sunny to be sitting and waiting around all that time. I eventually left and they were still on the field when I drove away.

There were some good moments there when Jim Barker and then some of the coaches took turns with the microphone during drills to do a play by play of what was going on and we got to hear the names of the players in those particular drills along with some info on him. That was new and it was good.

Most popular guy there was Chad Kackert. Before they got deep into practice he was on the sideline and stood there for at least half an hour with a long line of people, waiting to say hello, get an autograph or a picture with him. He looked like the new Pinball !! Kackert then put the team through some drills and I must say, he looked okay doing all those drills for the team, so I wonder why he cannot play !! I guess he just cannot do things at the required speed right now.
    I left before practice ended as well (4pm), it did go on a long time for sure with little or no opportunity for fan involvement. Why were fans not allowed on the field? Did the University think we were going to ruin it?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I've gone to every Fan Day since 1995 in Guelph. I think there has been only 2 years where they didn't have one (last year and around 2002). I got there about 1:30pm and all the spots were taken in the closest parking lot so I ended up parking in a garage near the Rexall Centre which was about a 15 minute walk from the football stadium. I don't know the campus well enough so I don't know if I could have parked any closer. I was disappointed that they did not sell any game worn items like jerseys and helmets and practice items like jerseys, t-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, sweatpants, etc. Sometimes they sell these items at Fan Day and sometimes they don't. I think that practice ended around 4:15pm but I didn't stay to get any autographs so that's when I left.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos haven't sold any game worn merchandise for the last two years. I'm not sure why? Perhaps Braley is like the frugal Charles Comiskey and the team recycles them for next season but I bet they still have old stuff lying around which they could probably see at a discount. I doubt anyone ran and bought jerseys from the backups in 2011.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    No Pinball, no Argo alumni, little merchandise for sale. Fans were not allowed onto the field. I must admit I was disappointed for the first time about Fan Day.
    Yeah we were a little disappointed too. We got there around 12:30 and left around 3:45 and the players were still practicing so we didn't get a chance to get autographs. A lot of people had already left by then too. I think that their biggest mistake was moving the Double Blue game to Friday. Quite frankly watching practice got boring pretty quickly, especially for my youngest son.

We were able to get autographs and a picture with Kackert so that was good.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I know regular practice is hard for some but you can always get autographs and photos with the players after a regular practice, if you're ever able to make it down one day.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Yeah we were a little disappointed too. We got there around 12:30 and left around 3:45 and the players were still practicing so we didn't get a chance to get autographs. A lot of people had already left by then too. I think that their biggest mistake was moving the Double Blue game to Friday. Quite frankly watching practice got boring pretty quickly, especially for my youngest son.

We were able to get autographs and a picture with Kackert so that was good.
    I regret not thanking the guy who stood in the inflatable FG kicking station yesterday...(same goes to the gals in the football throwing station)..all he did all afternoon long was pickup footballs & place it on the tee....I could not imagine myself doing that all afternoon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I regret not thanking the guy who stood in the inflatable FG kicking station yesterday...(same goes to the gals in the football throwing station)..all he did all afternoon long was pickup footballs & place it on the tee....I could not imagine myself doing that all afternoon.
    Yeah I made sure that my son thanked them every time he was in there. Thankfully they had the kicking and throwing inflatables to help keep him entertained. He was ready to go home by 2:30.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Achievements:

Level
    I did enjoy the commentary during the practice from Barker and Rossetti .... That was about the time I arrived.
    I also liked the interviews they did during the practice.
    I did get a fair number of autographs after the practice.
    I must admit , it would be hard to entice the younger kids to watch the practice. In previous years would you have stayed longer with the different set up? Perhaps we can learn from other teams.
    Yes I agree that the double blue game would have been fun as well, but I can see Milanovich switching that up because of the Monday game. Perhaps a different weekend would have been better. Hopefully lessons learned.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Let the Argonotes play their music as these folks are true fans!!

The SHITE music blaring through the speakers had me wanting to leave once I stepped out of our car after a two hour drive. Talked to a few friends but plenty has changed since 02. I used to know so many Argo fans and now I know few.

Best part of our day was a visit to Yummy European Market on Dufferin.

I'd give this a 2 out of 10. Basically boring crap with music that made my ears bleed.

So I heard that The Argos have to leave York in July. Din't know that. Is it back to Erindale or some park somewhere? Just horrible how this team has zero going for it right now. No practice facility or future stadium. I can't help but feel just plain sad at how things have turned out. The excitement of Grey Cup 100 is long gone. We have an owner who seems to not really give a crap. Sure he's bailed the team out but he's never been a fan of this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post

The SHITE music blaring through the speakers had me wanting to leave once I stepped out of our car after a two hour drive. Talked to a few friends but plenty has changed since 02. I used to know so many Argo fans and now I know few.

Best part of our day was a visit to Yummy European Market on Dufferin.

I'd give this a 2 out of 10. Basically boring crap with music that made my ears bleed.

So I heard that The Argos have to leave York in July. Din't know that. Is it back to Erindale or some park somewhere? Just horrible how this team has zero going for it right now. No practice facility or future stadium. I can't help but feel just plain sad at how things have turned out. The excitement of Grey Cup 100 is long gone. We have an owner who seems to not really give a crap. Sure he's bailed the team out but he's never been a fan of this team.

Yeah the blaring music wasn't the greatest idea, some of those songs weren't exactly kid friendly. They really should have at least turned off the music when they were doing the player interviews.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Argos haven't sold any game worn merchandise for the last two years. I'm not sure why?
    Is it possible it was all damaged in the fire the previous off season?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    thanks!
    we got a few songs in, eventually (after half the band had left, people had other commitments, sorry about that) but it was a little frustrating with the music going all. the. time. Will try to do better on game days, somehow.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    The Shane Horton-hosted clip is pretty fun. It looks like Fan day had great weather and a number of activities. The music did seem oppressive at times (e.g. while Horton is speaking with Emry), but creating a party atmosphere is pretty important for something like this.

Also, Horton seems quite personable. I look forward to hearing more from him!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level

It truly is disgusting to think of the possible locations for practice. I really hope that they find something better than ' goose poo central " at Erindale. I wonder if the old baseball diamond just inside the Dufferin Gates is still available -- ahh, the memories of practice there -- yes, I am kidding. There must be something better !
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    It truly is disgusting to think of the possible locations for practice. I really hope that they find something better than ' goose poo central " at Erindale. I wonder if the old baseball diamond just inside the Dufferin Gates is still available -- ahh, the memories of practice there -- yes, I am kidding. There must be something better !
    Maybe at Bill Crothers Secondary School in Markham?

"Field 1 is an artificial turf field to be used mainly for Soccer, and Field Hockey. This field was completed in September 2008.

Field 2 (Main Field) is an artificial field with a mondo track to be used for Football and Track & Field. The field portion was installed in mid October 2008.

Field 3 is a natural turf grass field to be used for Soccer. This field was laid in September 2008 and completed in September 2010."

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...condary_School

It's an all sports high school.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Maybe the Argos will end up back at Lamport Stadium for practice. That place is still useable, isn't it?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Maybe the Argos will end up back at Lamport Stadium for practice. That place is still useable, isn't it?
    Has it been confirmed the Argos must leave York in July? I have not heard anything about except for 1argoholic's comment.

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I asked them directly. the response I got seemed genuine. Essentially, I was told that due to the uncertainty in locations, game worn gear was believed to be in storage. A game-worn sale may be coming in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Is it possible it was all damaged in the fire the previous off season?