Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I saw that Robert McCune is a guest coach with the Stampeders. I guess he has retired?

Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    random question:

does anyone recall the name of the game that the players used to play after practice with the beachball and the bat? or how the game went? (or is this just something i made up in my mind and convinced myself is a real thing...)
    Hmmm, I remember that. It was in the Adrion Smith, Rich Stubler days...don't remember the name of it though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Took in some of the Day 2 Rookie Camp. Some good new guys brought in by Jim Barker but some of these guys start to fade when the Vets come in. I like our QB's. But it is going to be difficult to keep them all again. The new guy Paschall has a pretty good arm but I can't see him being more than number 4 on the depth chart. He's more of a NFL type.
    At RB with Chad Kackert being somewhat uncertain health wise the two former NFLers Steve Slaton and Jeremiah Johnson will be watched closely. I like Johnson for his size and ability. He just looks like a RB. But time will tell. #1 pick Coombes doesn't look out of place but he doesn't look to be the 200 lbs he's listed at. They have to be looking at him as a back-up for Durie and Owens. Too small to be a everydown RB IMO.
    I don't think there will be any receivers from this group replacing any of the vets unless by injury. Canadian Natey Adjei doesn't look out of place. Darvin Adams and Andre Snipes-Booker maybe the best imports.
    Matt Sewell definitely has all the physical tools to be a top O-Lineman, but I expect they will bring him along slow to start with.
    I will be watching DE PaiPai Falemalu in the Ex games as he looks like he could be the pass rusher the Argos have been lacking. But I wouldn't say he is the second coming of Junior Ah You just yet.
    Rookie kicker Josh Jasper seems to have a good leg and will probably be kept around to back up Waters.
    To early tell about the new DB's. Some of them will have to make the starting lineup as there aren't many returnees. They have a few new guys with some size though.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It's nice that someone could make it to camp; thanks for the report db.

Someone (I think it was Hogan) asked Milanovich whether we'd carry as many QBs this year since we no longer have to worry about losing one in an expansion draft. I think that's a fair point - we'll probably only want to keep four of the five.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I agree with you.
    Always thought he got a bum rap.
    With the right mentor type QB coach, he could have lasted a lot longer in this league.
    I don't disagree he had more potential than he was able to realize. To be fair, tho, he had the exact same QB coach as Dave Dickenson and Travis Lulay had at various points during his career. Coaching didn't seem to be an issue with them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't disagree he had more potential than he was able to realize. To be fair, tho, he had the exact same QB coach as Dave Dickenson and Travis Lulay had at various points during his career. Coaching didn't seem to be an issue with them.
    Printers never seemed to recover from being benched in favour of Dickenson in the 2004 Grey Cup. Tough decision for Wally to have to make.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Something I noticed yesterday about the Argo Coaches, except for Creehan, was the low key demeanor of most of them. Most training camps Coaches are loud and profane trying to show everybody how smart they are etc. The practice ran smoothly with groups going from station to station every 10 minutes or so. Coaches correcting and encouraging without a lot of ridicule. I know there will a time and a place for Milanovich to make a statement to someone, but I liked what I saw yesterday. My idea of what a Coach should be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Something I noticed yesterday about the Argo Coaches, except for Creehan, was the low key demeanor of most of them. Most training camps Coaches are loud and profane trying to show everybody how smart they are etc. The practice ran smoothly with groups going from station to station every 10 minutes or so. Coaches correcting and encouraging without a lot of ridicule. I know there will a time and a place for Milanovich to make a statement to someone, but I liked what I saw yesterday. My idea of what a Coach should be.
    How did newcomer Padric Scott look? With Marcus Thomas retiring, & Mitchell being released to pursue NFL opportunities, a large body or two are required in the middle of the d-line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I saw that Robert McCune is a guest coach with the Stampeders. I guess he has retired?
    Willie Pile is a guest coach for the B.C. Lions.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    How did newcomer Padric Scott look? With Marcus Thomas retiring, & Mitchell being released to pursue NFL opportunities, a large body or two are required in the middle of the d-line.
    Looked short and compact (I think he's listed at 6'0 300) but has quick feet. He could be a force on the inside. Those sort of bull rushing guys are hard to block. But these new players are just going up against Canadian rookies except for newcomer Lewis (who doesn't look 6'3 as listed). Lewis looks more like a Guard. Teams seem to like those long tall Tackles. Sewell looks the part that's for sure.

Didn't know about Thomas retiring until yesterday. He was only average IMO anyway. Burke wants pressure and it looks like Barker has brought those type of DL's instead of the run stoppers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks doubleblue...look forward to more reports.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So this article was posted today .....

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/05...-for-argonauts

So if Horton is at WIL .... who else is practising in this position? Filling Balls shoes is a big chore, but has anyone other options? (I'm depending on the football gurus here )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=Argocister;46950]So this article was posted today .....

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/05...-for-argonauts

So if Horton is at WIL .... who else is practising in this position? Filling Balls shoes is a big chore, but has anyone other options? (I'm depending on the football gurus here )[/QUOTE

Horton and Matt Ware (lots of NFL experience, but as a DB, but good size = CFL tweener) at OLB; with Emry at MLB.

D-Line (DEs in particular), plus numerous spots in the D-backfield = need for some guys to step-up and not much CFL experience.

D still a huge area of concern IMO - hopefully Burke can mold a strong group.